Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Front Trailer Hitch on QX56 / Armada

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  snorky18 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I put a front trailer hitch on our 2006 QX56 before a big camping trip so we could haul the bicycles in the front. I paid $132 for the CURT 31199 front hitch that's made for the Titan.

The only mods required was some trimming of the plastic air dam / front spoiler, which was relatively easy and quick with an oscillating tool and fine toothed blade.

The 29" tires on my bike hung too low in a couple off offroad scenarios. On any half civilized road, there was still plenty of clearance underneath.

I normally alternate handlebar directions of bikes on the rack, but I found it was preferable to keep all the seats in the passenger's line of site instead of the driver's.

This probably goes without saying, but it took some getting used to to have an extra 3-4' of overhang ahead of the front bumper. Turning right into a single lane requires a REALLY wide approach. Parking the truck with bikes on front and 29' OAL camper behind takes something like 8 spaces in a row.

Since I didn't find a lot of pics of said hitch mounted on the armadas, and since I had a request from a forum member to post a few, here you go:

more pics of the hitch

and a few with bikes on them:

sorry for the upside down pic, if anyone knows how to fix let me know. one last one showing the view from the passenger seat:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's pretty cool.

Why did you opt for the front mount vs. a roof rack?

#4 ·
OP stated in a different thread that they tow quite a heavy trailer and was wanting more weight on the front axle to try and better balance things. I'm not sure if this was the sole reason or just a nice benefit.

It might also reduce air resistence, but I don't know enough on the physics behind that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.