LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Buying advice please

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and Nissan. I have an Acura MDX but we're expanding our family and rear facing child seats crunch the driver and front passenger in this car. No interest in Ford or Toyota Sequoia.I really like the redesigned Armada. Overall I think it's a good move, just wanted some reassurance since I read a write up from car and driver and the comments had me second guessing the purchase. There are apparently a lot of ppl that really hate the redesign.

caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-nissan-armada-first-drive-review

I get that the redesign is outdated since it's pretty much the '11 qx56. And the center stack does irritate me with the aged technology, no blu ray, one usb. But overall I like the power, the size of the truck, and the interior.

Concerns:
Car and driver eluded to a soft ride. I read somewhere else that the ride gets softer over time in the corners etc. Anyone have this issue with previous Armada generation?

Reliability? Consumer reports doesn't have any info on the first generation of Armada reliability.

Any other issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:12 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I absolutely love my new 2017 Armada Platinum. I haven't noticed anything amounting to a excessively soft ride. However, that's a very subjective determination to be made. I would expect the reliability to be essentially the same as the Infinity QX80 if you can find any historical information on that SUV. This SUV is also supposedly a clone of the European Patrol SUV. You might find some reliability information for that car. The endurance engine is also shared with the Titan truck so you can look at those reliability ratings to get an idea on the drivetrain reliability. My dealer threw in a lifetime powertrain warranty (as long as you have all the service done at his facility and you don't violate any of the 9,000 requirements).

There are way too many positives to list ALL of them here.
- This thing has power when needed. Coming from a Honda minivan, all I can say is WOW!
- I absolutely love the 360-degree surround view. Makes parking a piece of cake.
- The collision avoidance features are just way too cool. In my test drive, I deliberately came up hot behind a car waiting at a red light and the system politely brought me to a stop.
- The lane watch is also cool. It makes you pay attention on the highway.
- Being able to play movies stored on a USB stick instead of always having to swap out DVDs is cool. Grandkids can pick their movie of the day.
- Also, when parked with the emergency brake on, you can play movies on the front display.
- The tire pressure monitor actually gives pressure readings. On my previous Honda cars, it would sound a chime if there was a low tire but would not give you a hint as to which tire had a problem.
- The navigation system seems to work much better than what I'm used to in my previous Honda cars.
- In case there is ever the need to tow anything behind it, this SUV has a great tow rating.

On the negative side.
- This SUV is certainly thirsty. With lower gas prices that may not be an issue for you though.
- My vertically challenged wife practically needs a ladder to get in it.
- The remote start keyfob has a limited range. By the time I'm close enough to the car in the winter to perform a remote start to warm up the car, I'm close enough that I might as well go ahead and get in. I checked on possibly getting a VIPER third party remote start with extended range but it doesn't appear like they support the Armada (yet). I had one in my previous Honda minivan and you could start that thing from the next county if needed.
- Although I haven't loaded it up with my Grandkids yet, the third row does appear narrower than what I'm used to in my previous minivan.
- The storage area behind the third row seat is smaller than what I'm used to in my previous Honda minivan or my previous Honda Pilot.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
Unfortunately, the '17 armadas do not have the HBMC suspension that is available on the QX56/80 and what the Nissan Patrol has been using for about 5-6 years now. The '17 armadas still share the same independent front & rear suspension as past armadas, along with the same auto leveling setup.

My cousin-in-law who had worked in Dubai for several years drove the Patrol while residing there and loved the HBMC suspension. He was looking forward to purchasing a '17 armada and was disappointed to find out the HBMC option was not available; he ended up with a CPO '15 QX80 Touring instead.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm picking up my 17 tonight after dropping off the 05 at the local carmax (1500 more than dealer trade-in value).

Used USAA and Costco. Ended up using USAA for purchase and loan. Tip with USAA is to find the dealers with vehicles you like then use their zipcode when doing the USAA (aka truecar/ZAG) purchase routine certificates.

CEH in MD
2017 Armada in Copper Forge (PITA to find)

2017 Plat in Forged Copper
was 2005 LE with 117k miles
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:59 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Congratulations on your new ride! Enjoy it!
...Rev
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:11 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
Unfortunately, the '17 armadas do not have the HBMC suspension that is available on the QX56/80

My cousin-in-law who had worked in Dubai for several years drove the Patrol while residing there and loved the HBMC suspension. He was looking forward to purchasing a '17 armada and was disappointed to find out the HBMC option was not available; he ended up with a CPO '15 QX80 Touring instead.
They say the HBMC is the price of admission into the QX/patrol family. I love it. I handle my QX like a race car. I mean, I take curves and that thing stays planted.

I will never forget my trip from New York to Texas when I picked up my QX.

I mean, I did not know what the hype was about this HBMc nor did I even know if my QX had it or not. But I can tell you that between the hours of 7pm and 9pm on my drive in the super curvy hills in Kentucky, all I could think about was that I was on a Kentucky Derby. As I pushed my QX into every curve, finding just the right grooves on the freeway to position my tires and prayed it stuck to the ground as every curve I went faster than slowing down. And I promise, the QX held firm like we were 2 salsa partners dancing the bachata on that freeway.

I just know that when I got to my hotel that night, my QX said nobody has ever handled her like that before. All I did was smile as I whispered that round 2 tomorrow and it did not disappoint either the next morning on my last lap home.

Nissan had to keep something only for the QX so that it can give reason for some people to prefer one over the other.

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 11-08-2016 at 02:47 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:22 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've driven both the QX56 with HBMC and now own a 2017 Armada Platinum. The HBMC on the QX really does make a difference in the corners but not enough to justify the extra expense on its own in my opinion. The Armada still handles very well for such a large truck and my only real gripe in terms of its dynamics is the overboosted steering. I wouldn't mind HBMC but it's potentially yet another thing to go wrong later on, just like the active dampers on the old Infiniti Q45s that no one could repair.

Interesting that you say a lot of people hate the redesign. Most of the reviews I've seen - CD, MT, Autoblog, TTAC, Autoweek, etc. have rated the Armada above average or better. Even CD rates it a 4/5 on their website. The only comments I've seen that outright dislike it are random internet commenters rather than actual auto journalists. Yes, it's based on an older design but it was a good platform to begin with and the full-size mass-market SUV category isn't exactly full of youthful designs to begin with.

The Armada certainly handles no worse than my old 2005 Pathfinder SE that I traded in for it and I also own a heavily-modded R35 GT-R and a more lightly modded Scion FR-S that both have seen a lot of track days so I'm picky about handling. It's a big, body-on-frame SUV and not a sports car. The handling it has is great for what it is and if you're looking for better then there are more suitable alternatives out there but they'll probably end up costing more or need compromises elsewhere.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:33 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I think the looks are certainly more stylish and sleek than any competitors current offerings. My only complaint is the 3rd row, which is why I'll probably be sticking with my '15 until kids are gone.

2015 SV 4x4

-
- Plasti-dip - Tow Mirrors -

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 01:12 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

So far I have had my 17 on some twisty mountain roads over the holidays and was really impressed with the handling in the twisties, also liked The trans manual mode for down shifting. As far as soft ride, I would say it does have an extremely smooth ride, yet controlled at the same time. You can hit a dip in the road and you can feel it absorb the dip like on a cloud yet settles right back.

It's not really like the float of an old canddy or town car where they would ride really smooth, but had a lot of float with continuing bouncing after the initial dip or pot hole . The armada seems far more controlled then those old luxury cars, yet still really very smooth like those old luxury cars. I love how this thing rides and handles.

Current Garage
2017 Nissan Armada SL AWD Gun Gray
2016 Chevy Colorado LT 4x4 White Diesel
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 White Diesel
2011 Toyota Land Cruiser AWD White

Recent past vehicles
14'Durango, 12'Tahoe, 11'LX570, 10'Land Cruiser, 09'Tahoe, 09' Expedition EL, 10'Raptor, 07' Suburban, 05' Excursion. Etc,etc
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:38 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I would suggest ignoring reviews of the vehicle from so-called "experts". Taste is subjective and automobile writers tend to be harsh on Infiniti products because they are not BMW/Mercedes/Audi.

Take one for a drive and see what you think. HBMC definitely helps make the vehicle feel more planted in cornering but I think that the Patrol/QX/Armada handles pretty well already for a vehicle of it's size.

I agree that the NAV/center stack is a little dated but I think it's pretty user-friendly, so it gets bonus points for that. I don't think that no Blu Ray is a big deal as my kids are now glued to their devices more than the screens in the rear. More often than not, the rear screens are not used in our vehicle.

I'm on my second QX56/QX80 and I've never had any significant repair issues in over 72,000 miles between the two vehicles. I'm sure you can find people who have had some issues but I think those are more the exception than the norm.

I think it rides great and it's definitely quiet inside. It's been more than enough for our family (3 boys, two teenage) and all of the equipment that we have loaded into it over the years.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode