Jumpy transmission - Page 14 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Garage
I have fixed the jumpy transmission by ECU software modification (changed the timing, air, torque in the ECU my myself)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:34 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyclon View Post
I have fixed the jumpy transmission by ECU software modification (changed the timing, air, torque in the ECU my myself)
C'mon now, you've got to give us more than that.

How did you do it?
What tools did you need?
Etc. etc. etc.

Give us more information.
post #133 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
C'mon now, you've got to give us more than that.
How did you do it?
What tools did you need?
Etc. etc. etc.
Give us more information.
It's quite easy. As I have a supercharger installed, I had to do a full ECU remapping.
There are not much maps open for the Nissan Patrol/Armada, but you can use UpRev, Bitedit, WinOLS, Alientech to access the software and tune it.
Due to the supercharger installation I had to tune the air, fuel and timing etc. to get maximum performance from the engine, or get it at least even running...
But, unfortunately, the transmission was getting more and more jumpy with the performance increase, and started slipping after 650 bhp.
The transmission is mostly affected by the Torque map of the engine, so this values had to be quite accurate.
For the stock Armada/Patrol they are, but there are several other maps affecting the environmental parameters of the car, bad fuel quality etc. which have a higher priority in the Ecu that the optimal torque transferred to the transmission control module (TCM).
So, if you drastically reduce the values in this torque map (they are 4 of them to be honest) the TCM will move the cluches further away, use lower pressure and they will slip when starting, on gear changes and in full load.
If you increase the values to much- the gear changes will be early and also very firm.
So to improved the driveability without access to the TCM (have not found any solution for TCM access in this car) you can try to work with the trouqe map in the ranges where you need to have an improvement.

Additional the transmission is working a lot better after the stage 1 ECU tuning and an additional oil cooler, thermostat (have taken one from the Audi R8 for 20$) and filter installation (taken form Mercedes Unimog)- the best temperature is about 80C/176F as the transmission fluid is done after 12 000 miles (mine attached after 12 000 miles).

If you have some questions left- let me know)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	45513   Click image for larger version

Name:	OoAAAgObVOA-960.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	45515  

Last edited by Xyclon; 03-21-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:03 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyclon View Post
It's quite easy. As I have a supercharger installed, I had to do a full ECU remapping.
There are not much maps open for the Nissan Patrol/Armada, but you can use UpRev, Bitedit, WinOLS, Alientech to access the software and tune it.
Due to the supercharger installation I had to tune the air, fuel and timing etc. to get maximum performance from the engine, or get it at least even running...
But, unfortunately, the transmission was getting more and more jumpy with the performance increase, and started slipping after 650 bhp.
The transmission is mostly affected by the Torque map of the engine, so this values had to be quite accurate.
For the stock Armada/Patrol they are, but there are several other maps affecting the environmental parameters of the car, bad fuel quality etc. which have a higher priority in the Ecu that the optimal torque transferred to the transmission control module (TCM).
So, if you drastically reduce the values in this torque map (they are 4 of them to be honest) the TCM will move the cluches further away, use lower pressure and they will slip when starting, on gear changes and in full load.
If you increase the values to much- the gear changes will be early and also very firm.
So to improved the driveability without access to the TCM (have not found any solution for TCM access in this car) you can try to work with the trouqe map in the ranges where you need to have an improvement.

Additional the transmission is working a lot better after the stage 1 ECU tuning and an additional oil cooler, thermostat (have taken one from the Audi R8 for 20$) and filter installation (taken form Mercedes Unimog)- the best temperature is about 80C/176F as the transmission fluid is done after 12 000 miles (mine attached after 12 000 miles).

If you have some questions left- let me know)
Like they always say, "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it".

Thanks for the info.
post #135 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:24 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 2018 with these same symptoms. I didn't realize there was a such thing as a software update. The SUV drives much different than anything else I have ever driven so I am hoping there is a software update or something that can resolve it. I have the same sluggish issues. In my 2010 Armada, it would take off and I could race someone (if I wanted to). With the 2018, I wouldn't even attempt it.
post #136 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:34 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I posted about my transmission issues w my ‘17 Mada on a separate thread, but same issue. My software update helped some but it still shifts, like you said, “unlike any other vehicle I’ve had...”. Tell dealer u need the update. They may take for test ride, but the laptop MUST be connected to the vehicle to determine what software rev u have and need.
post #137 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:41 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

While I had mine at the dealer (for other service), they said there wasn't an update yet for the 2018. I haven't seen any proof that there IS online.
post #138 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:15 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I suppose the ‘18 models should have the update, but if it’s the same update my ‘17 got (probably is), it still did not fix all the issues, it merely improved the engine lugging that was caused by the early upshifts to save fuel. I get less MPG now, but it did improve that horrible shifting prior to the update. Now it just shifts weird and the trans just seems to be searching for “the right” gear, mostly during normal/casual driving. Drives great when you floor it...but that’s not how most people drive, including myself. I hope they get it right eventually, but they won’t unless enough people complain.
post #139 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:54 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

I normally do not "race" but I do like to get out in front of other cars when taking off from a traffic light. A Rogue decided to race me a couple days ago so I decided OK and I felt like it was a lot harder than it should have been for it to get up and go. It felt like I was towing a trailer or something with a lot of extra weight. It just didn't want to get it like the 2010 would.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode