bench seat or captains' chairs for the second row? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

bench seat or captains' chairs for the second row?

I've seen a few posts where people were looking to replace their captain chairs with a bench. If you have the armada, which do you prefer for a family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 01:25 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank10 View Post

I've seen a few posts where people were looking to replace their captain chairs with a bench. If you have the armada, which do you prefer for a family?

I have a 2017 Platinum Armada. We got the captains chairs on our vehicle however if I had to do it again, I would have opted for the bench seat. This is purely a personal preference though and is 100% tied to the fact that I have 3 kids. The disadvantage of the captains chairs is that I always have to have at least 1 child in the 3rd row. This crates issues and means that I never have full cargo space when the kids are with us. This is further perpetuated by the very small cargo area which means I alway have either the 60 or 40 split folded down to carry our Bob stroller. If you have 3 kids I'd opt for the bench. If you have any other number I would get the captains chairs. Again, this is all totally personal and just unique to my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ArmadaBlack View Post
I have a 2017 Platinum Armada. We got the captains chairs on our vehicle however if I had to do it again, I would have opted for the bench seat. This is purely a personal preference though and is 100% tied to the fact that I have 3 kids. The disadvantage of the captains chairs is that I always have to have at least 1 child in the 3rd row. This crates issues and means that I never have full cargo space when the kids are with us. This is further perpetuated by the very small cargo area which means I alway have either the 60 or 40 split folded down to carry our Bob stroller. If you have 3 kids I'd opt for the bench. If you have any other number I would get the captains chairs. Again, this is all totally personal and just unique to my situation.

Thank you for your reply. I have 4, but we are out of the stroller stage. It would be nice to have the extra storage if I had 4 passengers in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:54 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We have one of each. My wife has captains and mine has bench. We have two kids in car seats and the bench is awesome if one other person like Gramma wants to tag along. In our previous QX56 we removed the console between the captains to make it easy to get to third row even with car seats installed.

My vote is for bench and its cheaper to boot. If you have lots of people you will appreciate the extra seat and more cargo space.
2017ArmadaBlack likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmind View Post
We have one of each. My wife has captains and mine has bench. We have two kids in car seats and the bench is awesome if one other person like Gramma wants to tag along. In our previous QX56 we removed the console between the captains to make it easy to get to third row even with car seats installed.

My vote is for bench and its cheaper to boot. If you have lots of people you will appreciate the extra seat and more cargo space.

Agreed. I like the suggestion of removing the center console.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)

Many cats with families prefer the bench, and that makes sense, depending on the size of th family.

The console removal is the best bet if you have the captains chairs as it gives you a “pathway” into the 3rd row.

This can be practical and also fun for the little humans to rummage about..
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I have an 06 that came with a bench - and I have 3 kids - all now out of car seats (one still in a booster). I took out the middle seat in the middle row soon after I got the vehicle and it has never been back in.

I like the space between the two middle rows so the one kid (she's short) can get in and just walk into the 3rd row - same with getting out. No need to fold the outside seats out to access the third row. The second row is so spacious you can just walk by the people sitting in the middle.

She sits on the 40% side so when we travel I fold down the other side and that has been enough space for us. 10 days in Disney from New England and all the crap we bought down there fit just fine. You also have the space between the two middle seats for storage. I put a $2 Home Depot door mat in between the two seat and bought a dollar store sup holder set for the middle kids.'

I'd say get the bench and you can always take out the middle seat if you want (4 bolts - easy peasy) or put it back in if you need max seating. More options that way.
frank10 and YukonJoe like this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

I just picked up my armada today. I got the bench seat.

I like the door mat idea and I may take the middle seat out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplebox View Post
I have an 06 that came with a bench - and I have 3 kids - all now out of car seats (one still in a booster). I took out the middle seat in the middle row soon after I got the vehicle and it has never been back in.

I like the space between the two middle rows so the one kid (she's short) can get in and just walk into the 3rd row - same with getting out. No need to fold the outside seats out to access the third row. The second row is so spacious you can just walk by the people sitting in the middle.

She sits on the 40% side so when we travel I fold down the other side and that has been enough space for us. 10 days in Disney from New England and all the crap we bought down there fit just fine. You also have the space between the two middle seats for storage. I put a $2 Home Depot door mat in between the two seat and bought a dollar store sup holder set for the middle kids.'

I'd say get the bench and you can always take out the middle seat if you want (4 bolts - easy peasy) or put it back in if you need max seating. More options that way.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:24 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the two captains over to a bench? I would really prefer to have all 3 kids in the middle row if possible and the center Console serves no purpose for us.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 03:14 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
I went with the bench for the same reasons mentioned above. See photo attached - 60/40 of second row bench lines up with 60/40 of third row. No middle seat on either on the new Armadas. Sounds like the older ones like the 06 mentioned above had a removable "middle" portion of the bench seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 armada bench.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	42697  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode