3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

'17 Armada VS '17 QX80

Just curious. Supposedly, the engine in my '17 Armada is exactly the same (except maybe for engine cover logo) as the '17 QX80. Yet, the QX80 specs indicate the Infinity version of the engine puts out about 10 more HP and premium fuel is recommended over standard 87 octane. I'm curious about what the differences between the two engines are. Is it the tuning settings in the software? If so, why doesn't Nissan just load the Armada with the same tuning settings as the QX80 for the extra HP?

Does anyone know what the real differences between the Armada and QX80 engines are for the 2nd generation models?

Thanks...Rev
marctronixx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

The armada is not required to have premium petrol, and the computer is designed , based on software and tunings, to run with that petrol in mind.

The qx requires premium petrol, and the engine and transmission is tuned (software) for it.

In theory, yes they are the same engines (the first gen armada is a total different design).

Nissan is aimed at a different market than the 80, so it makes sense to hold back certain features from the armada, otherwise, they may as well just have one model and make.

There are more options on the qx (HBMC is amazing!!) and different interior trim options. This is why there is a need to make the engine not be as powerful.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:39 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

Simple answer: Both engines are exactly the same thing. Yes, maybe the computer on the QX80 has been tweaked to make it produce 400hp when the car is using PREMIUM only.

Anybody here who drives a QX and pays attention to how their car handles will agree with me that when you consistently use PREMIUM gas, your QX performs great! It is responsive and gets up and go. If on the same car, you have used regular fuel for a long time also, you will know that regular gas makes the car a little less responsive and sluggish as compared to when it uses PREMIUM all the time. Even Nissan says PREMIUM IS RECOMMENDED FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE. And that is very true on the QX.

Stock 2018 QX which faithfuly uses premium has 400hp. If this car uses only regular, I can guarantee it gets only 390hp.
Stock 2018 Armada which uses regular has 390hp.

You can see a stock 2018 Armada compared to those QX owners who only use regular probably both have only 390hp. This is not scientific, but I do believe it as a QX who consistently use regular is slightly sluggish compared to a QX which consistently uses premium.

@marctronixx has the kn airfilter that claims another increase of 10hp. My guess is that a 2017/2018 Armada can use this same filter and may probably see a boost of 10hp which will move its hp from 390hp to 400hp and thereby matching the 400hp of the stock QX80.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...x?prod=63-6018

At this stage, if you put the most loaded 2018 QX80 vs the most loaded 2018 Armada, the Armada is truly a great buy. The only thing the QX owner can be proud of is the HBMC option, which is not an engine component but suspension. And the price difference for both most loaded options makes the Armada a truly great buy.

To conclude, both engines are the same.

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Thanks 'PetitFrereArmada'!!!! "Even Nissan says PREMIUM IS RECOMMENDED FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE". Thanks! I appreciate it. I missed that in the manual. I must have spend an hour searching it. Can you refer me to the Nissan recommendation?

Its odd to me because premium fuel actually has less energy-potential than regular fuel. So its hard for me grasp the hp increase. (https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-fuel-futures/)

Thanks...Rev

Last edited by revconguy; 08-13-2018 at 03:57 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

These DIG engines have very high compression ratios, and using petrol with as much octane in it will keep the engine operating at its MAX when you need it.

Fun fact: here in LA ( and its other cities/states) there was a filling station that had 100 octane! I filled up the car with this (it was 10 dollars a gallon and it cost me 190 dollars—i have a photo to prove it) and that car ran like a rocket! The ECM tuned the engine to take advantage of this, and the result was instant torque and MUCH more power. This was before I had the CAI (this was in 2012)

I digress... If you use lower octane petrol, the car will detect pinging and retard timing , and thus, HP will decrease. Pre-detonation can damage cylinder walls and rings if continued.

High test or “premium’ petrol is not snake oil and will benefit cars that are tuned and designed to run on it.

Last edited by marctronixx; 08-13-2018 at 08:59 AM. Reason: More yappin’ ;-)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

They tweak the computer on the armada for gas mileage i guess and qx80 is the luxury version ..the nissan patrol royale is 400hp..all share the same engine.
marctronixx likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 06:46 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Actually I was told that the Armada had a more refined engine. I’ll do some research because I’ve been curious, but I assume that since the QX80 came to NA a few years prior that 17+’s engine is more refined in that its slightly more efficient, doesn’t require premium so it’s likely tweaks to the valve train, heads, software, etc. otherwise the basic design of the engine is pretty close to its predecessors.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:56 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

what does "more refined" mean, and who told you that? Dealer? Master Tech?

the armada and Q of newer years have the same engine. the ecm program on the qx is more powerful than armada standard ecm program.

again the same engine, different programming.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:44 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Same engine in both, slightly different tune in the QX to eek out 10 more HP on Premium gas. What most don't realize is that the cost of that additional 10HP is a horrible value prop if is a primary consideration for spending more. If someone can notice a difference with the added 10HP while driving a 3 Ton vehicle then they are far more in tune with it than I am. I test drove both before buying the Armada. The 10HP would be the last reason to spend that additional cash on the Infinity version and I actually use all of the HP my Armada can provide when towing a trailer that at times weighs in at 6-7000 lbs loaded.

What most also do not realize is there are reputable tuners out there that can maximize the output of a vehicle for specific uses. Nissan is concerned first and foremost with ultimate fuel efficiency and economy while still providing good performance. Ultimately there is a trade-off. I have seen no need to get a tune but in other tow vehicles I have owned a specific tune has been very beneficial for increasing performance for towing. Of course it comes with a significant decrease in fuel economy as well.
marctronixx likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Thank you Jdskycaster. Just gotta note "Nissan is concerned first and foremost with ultimate fuel efficiency..." -- I suspect they missed the ball on that one. The gas mileage that my 32' motorhome delivers rivals that of my Armada . However, I do admit that the motorhome engine doesn't produce anywhere near the HP and torque my Armada engine does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdskycaster View Post
Same engine in both, slightly different tune in the QX to eek out 10 more HP on Premium gas. What most don't realize is that the cost of that additional 10HP is a horrible value prop if is a primary consideration for spending more. If someone can notice a difference with the added 10HP while driving a 3 Ton vehicle then they are far more in tune with it than I am. I test drove both before buying the Armada. The 10HP would be the last reason to spend that additional cash on the Infinity version and I actually use all of the HP my Armada can provide when towing a trailer that at times weighs in at 6-7000 lbs loaded.

What most also do not realize is there are reputable tuners out there that can maximize the output of a vehicle for specific uses. Nissan is concerned first and foremost with ultimate fuel efficiency and economy while still providing good performance. Ultimately there is a trade-off. I have seen no need to get a tune but in other tow vehicles I have owned a specific tune has been very beneficial for increasing performance for towing. Of course it comes with a significant decrease in fuel economy as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode