Wanting to start a new career - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to mcs6979
Wanting to start a new career

CA members
I have decided to allow myself to ETS from the US Army in 2013 and want to start a new career working with something I love, cars. I will be 34 years old, have had 8 successful years and will be leaving the Army an E-6, SSG Medic.
I figured a job as a service writer at a dealership would be a nice place to start, allowing me enough profit potential to match what I will be earning from the Army, with room to grow.
Does anyone have any advice on schools I have to attend in order to be hired and successful at that job? Previous to the Army I worked for Honeywell's Security division and was awarded salesperson of the year for my region in 2001, so selling based on customer need is something I have been successful with in the past.
Thanks for any/all input. Please feel free to ask me any other pertinent questions.

2005 QX56 Tuscan Pearl ext and Graphite int. ArmaDen 5k interior and exterior kit. No other modifications for now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:29 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello there mcs6979 and welcome back. Thank you for your service bud! And as to your questions, I think you already possess the skills to succeed in customer satisfaction. If there is one thing that I can tell you to make you and your future service department be successful, it would be this; As a service writer, be compassionate to your customers for he or she wants to be taken care of first and foremost. Honesty and informative very important. Customers like to be informed of where their vehicle is at in relation to the repairs being done. If customer is waiting for a 2 hour job; in one hour check with the repair tech and relay progress to customer. If job requires a day or two, at least call and inform customer of progress once a day. And lastly, when writing a service repair order with a customer, don't do what most inexperienced S.W.'s do and that's write the customers complaint from what a service writer thinks the problem is. When a customer relays the complaint or symptoms, write exactly as he or she says it and then read it all back to the customer to verify exactly what they are wanting repaired and have them sign the repair order. Service Writing class is usually offered through the dealership and I would recommend that to anyone. Managing tech time is what makes the shop succeed and makes everyone happy($$$$$$$$$)!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode