User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)

Question Building AR-15 noob

Noob when it comes to this. so noob that i dont even know what the parts are called. LOL anyways, i know some of you have quite an extensive collection. so i want to ask for advice. I am looking into building a AR-15 from scratch. what do i need? Brand? Are there parts that i can get by with cheap parts? What is the most important part that i shouldnt skimp on? I been to the AR-15 forum but Im still reading it and lost. When i get some money I'm also planning on getting the XD .45 5" Tactical. So I might do the hand gun first. But i was reading and it seems i can build an AR15 for roughly the same cost of the XD. torn =/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think scr38 is knowledgeable in the weapons area.

I built my AR with a Bushmaster upper and an Aero Precision lower, Timney skeleton trigger, Chrome bolt carrier, Hogue grip and a few other pricey parts. Till all was said and done, I had about $2,000 into it.

I recently took it to a gun show to see what I could get out of it... I would have been lucky to get $1,200. There are a lot of new pre-builts out there in the $600 - $800 range.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
'07 LE 4x4, Injen PowerFlow intake, SuperChips tuned, Borla dual exhaust, Bilstein struts, Michelin LTX MS2's, PowerSlot slotted rotors/Akebono pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, KMC-XD Monster rims, Viper remote start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Garage
Buy a good lower! After thay you can interchange almost any upper with it to get various calibers and configurations.

The lower has the serial# on it and is the part that gets registered.

Don - 2005 Armada SE 4x4 - PGM 90mm Throttle Body, JBA LT headers, Cajun Catted B-pipes, Borla Duel SS Cat-Back, UpRev, Injen CAI, 6" Pro Comp Lift, Ballistic Jesters, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Train Horn, lights, sirens

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to rockendoublez
IMHO stay with good quality manufactures like RRA, LMT, DPMS, STAG, SLR, JPE, etc.

I've pieced a few dozen for myself using a variety of uppers and lower for all types of applications. It all depends on what you really want to do with the weapon, i.e hunting, defense, cqb, long range scope shooting etc. Do you want a standard gas blowback or a direct impingement system? all of these factors kind of determine the type of build you want on your rig.

The XD .45 is a fine pistol. I recommend the XDM .45
I'm not sure where you can get an AR for around $600? at least a good quality one for that price.

Most good quality lowers cost $600 or more alone.

Rockendoublez - Mike
08 Black SE, Kenwood Audio System:
KOSV1000 (carportal)/ KOSL702 (touchscreen) / KNAG510 (Navi) /KCABT200 (BlueTooth), AutoPage GPS / Remote Start, JL Audio Amps/Components/Subs, Eiger Vision HD 10.7" flipdown monitor, E&G Classics Custom Grille, 7" passenger visor monitor, FRONT and Rear night vision cameras

-
09 Honda Fit Sport w/Navi
06 Acura TL
95 Acura Integra RIP
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

thanks guys...im doing some more reading. thanks for the trade show info tchjts1. i can fine one at that price range at a gun show then that would be worth it. i mean i can change parts out as i get more use and knowledge out of them, right?

mike why the xdm over the xd?

'04 LE

Last edited by ntrddragn; 12-24-2011 at 03:21 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 10:06 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Hello dragn. I agree with all as far as staying with a quality brand. Why not just go to Cabelas and pickup the S&W M&P AR in .223/5.56? The last I saw was around 500-600 bucks. Also try going on http://www.ar15builder.com. Its a pretty cool website if you wanted a visual idea of what your custom build would look like. Two other brands that you might consider that are well above 1200 to 1700 bucks would be Armalite and KNS Precision. Just my thoughts but any protection is better than no protection. Good luck bud and once you start, it never ends.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 10:46 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Also.. being that you are in California, there are some restrictions on this type of firearm. You have to install a "bullet button" or some similar device that prevents quick swap-out of magazines.

With this, you have to insert "something" into a recessed hole to release the magazine. This was overcome by the use of a magnetic "button" that pretty much defeated the purpose of that law, so they then made it a crime to use the magnetic button. I have one for use outside of California.

You are also limited to only using 10 rounds in a magazine. You can use a 30 round mag, but it has to be blocked to only accept 10 rounds. California only wants you killing 10 people at a time instead of 30.

Whatever you buy, just be aware of the California gun laws on "assault weapons". There are certain lowers that you cannot have in California. Your best bet is to ask if the build or the weapon is "California legal". If they say "What's that?" then be sure you research what you are getting. I carry a flow chart in my AR gun case that shows mine is legal if they ever wanted to hassle me about it.
Link here: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

And if you are thinking about something for home defense.... IMHO, an AR is not the weapon for that, unless zombies are attacking. I'd much rather have a good short-barreled shotgun or pistol.

I have had both the 9mm XD and the .45 XD. Really liked both of them but ended up keeping just the 9mm.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
'07 LE 4x4, Injen PowerFlow intake, SuperChips tuned, Borla dual exhaust, Bilstein struts, Michelin LTX MS2's, PowerSlot slotted rotors/Akebono pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, KMC-XD Monster rims, Viper remote start.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Thats a pretty cool site F.A.V. I will look into the S&W. I been shooting the XD, Sig, Glock and Barretta and narrow it down to XD and Sig. but i was at the range 2 days ago trying to narrow it down to XD and Sig 220, after 5 bags of 50 rounds bullets XD the won over the Sig. So now i have to try the XD against the S&W.

tchjts1, I actually LMAO regarding your zombies comment and 10 bullet vs 30. I guess killing 10 people arent as bad as 30? LOL. AR-15 isnt for protection. just for fun. I just like it and would like to have one. And if zombies do appear then im ready. I rented the AR-15 at the range also and love it. The Cali law is a bit dumb. I did use a pen to poke into the cartridge release. i mean if i can fashion something that goes onto my finger to quickly press it.

'04 LE
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to rockendoublez
Richard,

For an extra $100 bucks you get customized grips, a matched barrel, better sights and a short pull trigger. I'd say that's worth at least $350 in upgrades over the standard XD.

also IMHO, i'd get a good old fashioned reliable shotgun to go with that AR15.

I practice a 3 gun cycle switching from an M4 to my mossberg 500 to my pistol.

Rockendoublez - Mike
08 Black SE, Kenwood Audio System:
KOSV1000 (carportal)/ KOSL702 (touchscreen) / KNAG510 (Navi) /KCABT200 (BlueTooth), AutoPage GPS / Remote Start, JL Audio Amps/Components/Subs, Eiger Vision HD 10.7" flipdown monitor, E&G Classics Custom Grille, 7" passenger visor monitor, FRONT and Rear night vision cameras

-
09 Honda Fit Sport w/Navi
06 Acura TL
95 Acura Integra RIP
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 04:09 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Check out Arms List for your area. There are usually some good deals on there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode