Road trip from Oregon to Ohio, is an AR15 too much gun to take for protection? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Road trip from Oregon to Ohio, is an AR15 too much gun to take for protection?

It's the only gun I have and I'll have my wife, 2 small children and parents with me. If we run into "bad" people I'd like to be prepared.

We are also planning on visiting Yellowstone but I hear you can't take a gun to a national park? Even if it's locked up in the car?

I'd have it locked in a case with ammo separate. If we ran into a situation where I know I wouldn't be able to get the gun out and loaded in time I'd just pretend I didn't have it.

A buddy also said it might be too much gun to try to explain to the cops if that situation arose too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

I'm always of a mind that a nice cricket stick is easier to explain away to cops than a gun.... and the only firearm i have is a 30-06 which isn't really practical to carry around.

My thought on the AR15 is that it's a bit overkill, pardon the word usage, and unnecessary... the likelihood of encountering "bad" people on your road trip is less than negliable. Common sense is always your best and first line of "defense." If you feel nervous in an area- don't stop and move on.

I can think of very, VERY, few instances where an automatic rifle would be called for and realistically how quickly you would be able to access it and load it is far too long in 99.9% of emergency situations.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not against carrying, I just don't see the need in this instance unless you are planning on going to a gun range during your road trip. I guess I could see someone carrying a handgun locked in the compartment next between driver and passenger, due to compact size and easy of access in a true emergency. You might want to take a look at gun laws in the states (areas) you will be going through so that you do not inadvertently break any and cause yourself undue stress on a family trip.

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)

Yeah ar-15 is an over kill for sure. Since the whole Colorado shooting you will be in more trouble then worth specially with all the anti guns sentiment going on. Oregon has relax gun law compare to communist Cali but a rifle for traveling it a bit much. If u have ccw permit then I would suggest bringing a 9mm. Like koosh states just be mindful of ur surrounding. This is the USA still not Mexico. Lol and I travel to mexico often.

Edit: just read your post again about that's the only gun u have so disregard the 9mm suggestion.
Sent from the future...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 LE

Last edited by ntrddragn; 08-07-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Thanks guys. You make valid points there I don't have a CCW and getting the AR15 was as easy as walking into a gun shop and having them run my drivers license and I was out of there in 15 minutes so that's the only gun I have so far. I looked up some info and a federal law was passed in 2010 that allows open carry in Yellowstone and other national parks so leaving it in the car would be fine.

That being said I think I'll just take a baseball bat along with the breaker bar I have anyway just in case I need to fix a flat, lol.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

An AR-15 even though it is overkill is a nice weapon, but not adequate for personal protection. If you do not have access to a handgun, you should invest in pocket sized less lethal personal protection devices that are readily available at gun shops/shows. Stun guns, Tazers or Mace (not the bs they sell in Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority or convenience stores). Traveling with family it is better to keep a knife on you and a couple of Softball Bats that you and your significat other knows where they are.

Other than that, lock your doors run the bad guys over and call 911.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BlakSpyda; 08-08-2012 at 11:49 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to bobeast
Excuse me Mr. would-be mugger. Can you wait while I dig my AR15 out of the trunk, my ammo out of the glovebox, and load it?

Whats wrong with this picture? The only worthwhile weapon for protection is the one you don't have to go looking for.

Choose to chance the rapids. Dare to dance the tide.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakSpyda View Post
An AR-15 even though it is overkill is a nice weapon, but not adequate for personal protection. If you do not have access to a handgun, you should invest in pocket sized less lethal personal protection devices that are readily available at gun shops/shows. Stun guns, Tazers or Mace (not the bs they sell in Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority or convenience stores). Traveling with family it is better to keep a knife on you and a couple of Softball Bats that you and your significat other knows where they are.

Other than that, lock your doors run the bad guys over and call 911.
Great idea. I need to pick up some pepper spray and maybe a taser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeast View Post
Excuse me Mr. would-be mugger. Can you wait while I dig my AR15 out of the trunk, my ammo out of the glovebox, and load it?

Whats wrong with this picture? The only worthwhile weapon for protection is the one you don't have to go looking for.
lol. Well I have heard that thieves target cars at hotels so since I won't be unloading everything every time we stop for the night I was thinking I'd try to park in a spot visible from the room and if I needed to scare off any wood be thieves I could do it with the AR.

For other stops if I see sketchy people I'll just keep moving or have it loaded and ready before we open the doors.

In my small quiet and "safe" home town at least 1 car a week is stolen from the motels by the freeway leaving the travelers stranded with all their stuff gone.

We have decided to skip visiting some friends in Denver and Colorado so after we do Yellowstone and Rushmore we will be on the northern route which is more populated so I'm not worried anymore. I was thinking the long lonely southern route might have some stranger characters to look out for. Has anyone seen Jeepers Creepers? lol
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

lol jeepers creepers is ok as a scary road trip movie, but joy ride our rest stop are better ones! ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshtaka View Post
lol jeepers creepers is ok as a scary road trip movie, but joy ride our rest stop are better ones! ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
lol, speaking of Joy Ride...

back in my early 20's a buddy and I flew to Austin to buy a sports car and drive it back to Oregon. We were somewhere out on I-10 in the middle of nowhere Texas headed west one night minding our business in the fast lane. I went to go around this semi truck but it kept crossing over the center line then back into the right lane. When I got the chance I quickly went to pass him but as I was passing him my buddy rolled down his window and flipped the truck driver off. Big mistake! He started to chase us so I sped up to 90mph but he was still with me. I could have went a lot faster but the car had expired tags so I didn't want to bring too much attention to myself. I tried calling 911 but there was no cell coverage :eek: He eventually backed off quite a bit but every time I switched lanes to go around a car he would flash his high beams to let me know he was still on to me, lol. He must have been a half mile behind me but the highway was straight and flat so he could still see me. I thought I had finally lost him so I took an exit to hide out for a while but noticed at the bottom of the off ramp were 2 semi trucks blocking the 4 way intersection (I'm thinking he radioed ahead) so I slowed down and then I saw a semi coming up from behind me on the off ramp flashing his high beams :eek::eek::eek: I saw a small gap next to one of the trucks so I drove on the shoulder and out into the country side and shut the car off and we sat in the dark for a while until the coast was clear. I *****ed out my friend pretty good

Eventually we got back on the road but never encountered the truck again or if we did he didn't bother with us anymore.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

"... Candy cane...... C-A-A-ANDY Cane......" Haha

Dang.... that's a story! I would have been tempted to kick the friend out and make him walk for a while.

'05 Mada LE Slate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode