Selling a car...need advice - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Garage
Selling a car...need advice

Need some advice guys....I have a 2002 jaguar x-type thats in great mechanical condition. Interior has some minor cosmetic issues but nothing major. Also has some upgrades (brakes, exhaust, etc). The exterior has the normal rock chips on the front bumper but the noticeable area are the hood and roof area. Through the years it has oxidized and pealed. I'm planning to sell the car in the next couple of weeks but was wondering if I should shell out for the paint job to make it presentable or just lower it a bit from my asking price?

I planned on taking it to CarMax to get an appraisal done to see what they would give me, anyone have experience with their appraisal service? If I don't like their offer, was going to list on craigslist/autotrader/etc. and just try and sell it privately.

Any advice and suggestions is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Armada SE - charcoal leather, comf & conv package, tow package, back-up camera, power lift gate, bose stereo
Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*Bilstein HD front struts
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars

Last edited by regdawg; 07-28-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

I have taken 2 cars to CarMax before. Last one was my 2008 Nissan Maxima when it was at 146,000 miles on odomoter. I think blue book at that time said $8,500.

Car is in tip-top form cosmetically and mechanically. I mean, leather is new, car has brand new yoko tires and all. It drives like new. Check out my thread below to see more details.

Carmax did appraisal and came with offer of $5,500 good for 5 or 7 days.

I was wanting to sell my Maxima before getting the Armada. But found a good deal for the Armada. So, keeping my Maxima.

They will get you for cosmetic damage. You know they buy those cars and hope to still make some profit off of it. So, that is why they go cheap.

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

When we were buying our most recent Armada, I took our 06 to CarMax for an appraisal. They offered me $13K. KBB said trade in was $14K to $15K depending on condition. I ended up getting $14.5K trade-in at the dealer I bought the new (used) Armada. This price was negotiated after we had already agreed on the price for the new truck. Turned out they already had a buyer for it! Could probably have gotten around $16-17K selling private, but didn't want to be bothered.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
So sounds like if I want to get more for the car, I will have to sell privately. I can see carmax offering below $1k. Kbb shows $2500 for fair condition.

When I bought my mada, I was going to trade in my 2000 E320. Excellent cosmetic condition inside and out, and at the time had about 180k miles. Pirelli tires were barely a year old. Dealer only offered me $500 for a trade-in, while kbb was about $4k roughly. I said forget that and just kept it. Just going to keep the benz as a work/errand car. it has helped keep the mileage down on the mada.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Armada SE - charcoal leather, comf & conv package, tow package, back-up camera, power lift gate, bose stereo
Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars

Last edited by regdawg; 07-28-2013 at 09:34 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Selling stuff, one of my favorite topics.

In the last several years, I have bought and sold several vehicles.
Sold two vehicles to carmax
sold two on craigslist
bought one from carmax
bought one from craigslist

The Carmax appraisal is a fantastic baseline. Get it.
Then check out what those vehicles are selling for in the real world.
Find the middle ground between the two numbers, and expect to get that from Craigslist.

If the difference is say, $1,000 then ask your self if your time is worth it. A successful Craigslist campaign usually requires either a low low price, or an incredible ad, with incredible photos and incredible details.
It takes me about 10 hours + $100 or so to make my Craigslist ads. (detail the vehicle, take photos when the light is perfect and at a location with a clean background, then I carefully write the ad with lots of bullet points to justify the price that I am seeking).

Then, plan to spend a couple hours dealing with waste-of-time emails and phone calls, and no-show Craigslist flakes.

If all that is worth your time, then do it!!
I like the idea of doing the deal in the parking lot of my bank, then walking into the bank to handle the funds.

------

Another strategy, which is way easier, is to take the car to 10 car lots and show them the Carmax appraisal, then ask them to beat it by $500

2008 Armada SE
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Selling stuff, one of my favorite topics.

In the last several years, I have bought and sold several vehicles.
Sold two vehicles to carmax
sold two on craigslist
bought one from carmax
bought one from craigslist

The Carmax appraisal is a fantastic baseline. Get it.
Then check out what those vehicles are selling for in the real world.
Find the middle ground between the two numbers, and expect to get that from Craigslist.

If the difference is say, $1,000 then ask your self if your time is worth it. A successful Craigslist campaign usually requires either a low low price, or an incredible ad, with incredible photos and incredible details.
It takes me about 10 hours + $100 or so to make my Craigslist ads. (detail the vehicle, take photos when the light is perfect and at a location with a clean background, then I carefully write the ad with lots of bullet points to justify the price that I am seeking).

Then, plan to spend a couple hours dealing with waste-of-time emails and phone calls, and no-show Craigslist flakes.

If all that is worth your time, then do it!!
I like the idea of doing the deal in the parking lot of my bank, then walking into the bank to handle the funds.

------

Another strategy, which is way easier, is to take the car to 10 car lots and show them the Carmax appraisal, then ask them to beat it by $500
Totally feel you on having an incredible ad on craigslist as I've sold many things in the past on craigslist and ebay. Your correct about the "waste-of-time" emails you get from craigslist, thats for sure. I've sold a car about 7 years ago, but that was quite easy because it was a Honda Civic and no cosmetic issues like the jag. Plus everyone looks for Civic's.

Are you saying to get the paint job to sell it? Do you think Carmax will even give me their time? 80% of the hood/roof need to be repainted, thats how bad it is.

Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by regdawg View Post
Are you saying to get the paint job to sell it? Do you think Carmax will even give me their time? 80% of the hood/roof need to be repainted, thats how bad it is.
I would vote no on the paint job.
The cool thing about old peeling paint is, it kinda says: This is an original car that has not been crashed hard and repainted.

Someone will buy your car as-is then install a cool vinyl wrap, some sharp rims, and a custom stereo and end up with a good looking custom ride for cheap.

On the other hand, if it sits on the market for a while, maybe the paint job is a good idea.

2008 Armada SE
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna try and see what happens without the paint job. I just wanna get rid of the thing. If I can get around $2k for it, I'll be happy.

Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
Put it up on Craigslist.

Angel Vivas, III
2006 Nissan Armada SE 4x2 Silver Lightning

UPRev Tuned (Cajun Style)
Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust
Cajun Catless B-Pipes
Volant Cold Air Intake
CSF 3328 Racing All-Aluminum Radiator
2" Front Leveling Kit (To Even Her Out)
Bilstein HD Front Struts
Interior LED Kit
6000 HID Kit
Nissan Black Grill Guard

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Oh that was the first place I was going to list it...lol. maybe some kid that wants to fix it up p will buy it. I put a couple upgrades into it like remus exhaust and slotted rotors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode