Mustang Restoration question - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Garage
Mustang Restoration question

Considering a 1971 Mustang Fastback. Itís on consignment at a private dealership. The mechanic that does all their work bought if for 6K and did a full Frame-Off Restoration, New Motor, Trans, paint, etc. and he has about 30K into it and is now going through a divorce and needs money.

The VIN designates that this car came out of Michigan as a Fastback, without the Mach1 package. 1F02M140788 (05=mach1). This car was originally a brown fastback coupe and restored as a mach1 fastback coupe. All the parts were upgraded to mach1 parts (grills, fog lights, paint scheme, decals). The only thing I notice different is the mach1 had working hood vents (ram air) with internal louvers that open and closed.

It was listed at 22,995 then dropped to 19,995 and I got it down to 17,995.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mach1-1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	13377   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-27 19.48.30.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	13385   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-27 19.48.51.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	13393  

Don - 2005 Armada SE 4x4 - PGM 90mm Throttle Body, JBA LT headers, Cajun Catted B-pipes, Borla Duel SS Cat-Back, UpRev, Injen CAI, 6" Pro Comp Lift, Ballistic Jesters, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Train Horn, lights, sirens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

THAT is a SWEET deal!! Unless you are a purist, I would jump on it. Cars like that would easily start at twice the price here on the Westcoast. Nice find, Drauden!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 04:55 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I agree with drewcs. Depends on what you are planning for it. Going to do shows and looking for trophys and cash, then no, it would be considered a Frankenstein. Now if you are looking to drive it and have a bad *** car that looks smoking hot, and can be used as a daily driver (considering all the work put in it) then heck ya. You could bring it to SoCal and it would fetch a nice price. Good luck

Chris

2008 Armada SE, Drivers Pkg, Smoke, Airbox Mod with K&N filter, R1 Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Ceramics pads. 2 degree advance
2013 Altima 2.5S
2006 Equinox
1998 Altima
1998 Frontier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Don - I just took a quick look at values for a 71 Mustang (www.nadaguides.com), and 18K seems a bit high. Remember, even though its painted to look like a Mach 1, it isn't one, so make sure to value it as a standard fastback. Now, I don't know how the car is equipped, so I couldn't use that when estimating the value, so I could be off. Also, this body style Mustang is the least desirable of the collectable Mustangs (pre 74), which also hurts values. My question to you is, do you have any emotional attachment to that year and body style of Mustang)? Did you or a close buddy have one in high school? If not, then I think you can do a lot better for the money. That price will buy a decent 65-66 coupe with a 289 in nice shape, which to me is a far more desirable, and definitely a lot more collectible car.

Just my opinion.......whatever you decide, enjoy it. We love our classic car!

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to bobeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by drauden View Post
Considering a 1971 Mustang Fastback. Itís on consignment at a private dealership. The mechanic that does all their work bought if for 6K and did a full Frame-Off Restoration, New Motor, Trans, paint, etc. and he has about 30K into it and is now going through a divorce and needs money.

The VIN designates that this car came out of Michigan as a Fastback, without the Mach1 package. 1F02M140788 (05=mach1). This car was originally a brown fastback coupe and restored as a mach1 fastback coupe. All the parts were upgraded to mach1 parts (grills, fog lights, paint scheme, decals). The only thing I notice different is the mach1 had working hood vents (ram air) with internal louvers that open and closed.

It was listed at 22,995 then dropped to 19,995 and I got it down to 17,995.
I seem to recall that the Mach 1 had the 351 Cleveland (4 bolt main). A much better engine than the 351 Windsor or the 302. I'd check to see what engine it has.

Choose to chance the rapids. Dare to dance the tide.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Here's what appears to be a real Mach 1 for less money:

http://www.cars-on-line.com/66789.html

And some others with some very close to that price:

http://www.cars-on-line.com/mustang_3.html

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Wow! Look at this one for $20k:

http://www.cars-on-line.com/55606.html

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Garage
A buddy of mine ordered one direct from Ford with Factory headers, 4 speed and A/C back in 72 and got it delivered in 73. That thing would move with the 351 Cleveland and 4 speed. He could pull the front wheels off the ground when taking off. The only time he ever got beat was buy a 4x4 Dodge with a 440 Mag.

325/60R/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 6" lift, tinted windows, Volant CAI, Legit Interior & Backup LED's, Torque Pro Monitoring on a Motorola DROID w/ELM 327 Bluetooth, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Bilstein 5165 Rear Shocks, UpRev by seymore4 @ cajuntuning

Soon to be added, JBA LT Headers, Cajun 2.5" B-Pipes, Y Pipe and Borla 40944 Muffler.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Garage
holy cow, financing came through at 5.9% which puts me in the "Buy it Zone". New 351 Windsor engine, Edlebrock power package, new trans, over 30k put into it in parts.

I know its not a true Mach 1, but it will be mine to play with in few days.

thanks, for everyone's comments.

Don - 2005 Armada SE 4x4 - PGM 90mm Throttle Body, JBA LT headers, Cajun Catted B-pipes, Borla Duel SS Cat-Back, UpRev, Injen CAI, 6" Pro Comp Lift, Ballistic Jesters, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Train Horn, lights, sirens

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drauden View Post
holy cow, financing came through at 5.9% which puts me in the "Buy it Zone". New 351 Windsor engine, Edlebrock power package, new trans, over 30k put into it in parts.

I know its not a true Mach 1, but it will be mine to play with in few days.

thanks, for everyone's comments.
Congrats, Don. Enjoy your new ride!! Also, highly recommend you get it insured through a classic auto insurance company, rather than your normal insurance company. I pay about $200 / year for full coverage, including road service, through Hagerty Insurance, with a declared value of $20,000. State Farm wanted a bit more than that, but there were a whole lot more restrictions, no up-front declared value (they decide at the time of claim what the car is worth), plus no experience with dealing with a classic car. I've been with them for a few years now (no claims thankfully!!), and I'm very happy.

Again, congrats! Make sure to get it out and drive it!

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode