LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Garage
GoPro Cams

Can GoPro's be used in place of traditional video camera's? I'm in the market for a new video camera and I've seen these being used on alot. See commericals and these being used on TV shows. Its kinda of a cool way to capture moments and not have to hold something in your hand while doing it.

Do people use these in place of traditional video cameras? I'm looking for something to catch those moments with my daughter as she grows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Armada SE - charcoal leather, comf & conv package, tow package, back-up camera, power lift gate, bose stereo
Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*Bilstein HD front struts
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 12:07 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

I mean its a camera and it also takes still photographs as well as moving video. tv shows use it and even commercials. so yes you can use the gopro as a camera to capture special moments.

so can a camera phone...

what features are you looking for? i use gopros a lot but they serve a specific purpose and are not my main camera...

if you are in the market for a new camera, i would not use this as your only one. invest in something more traditional.

the gopro is an "action cam" and is meant for such activities (water sports, motorcross, skateboarding, etc). Sony has an "action cam" thats about half as expensive as the gopro, so if you are solely looking in this "action cam" arena, go to amazon and type in "action cam".
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Garage
Yeah good point. I have a point-n-shoot as well as a DSLR. My video cam is about 7 years old (hard drive type) and you have to plug it into the wall in order to transfer files to a pc and unfortunately I lost the wall plug so figure I might as well just get a new one. I thought maybe a GoPro, with its cool factor, might be an option but probably better off then investing in a more traditional vid cam.

This article just got me thinking about it: http://geekmom.com/2013/08/gopro-for-moms/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Armada SE - charcoal leather, comf & conv package, tow package, back-up camera, power lift gate, bose stereo
Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*Bilstein HD front struts
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars

Last edited by regdawg; 12-16-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Garage
I use the hero 3 white edition.
Also use a contour hd mdl 1300
I use both of them for action
Vids and the kids sports..there
Good for vids. I use my nikons
For photos..

2015 Pearl white Platinum 4x4 Gift to my wife..
2nd owner 2010 5.6L Armada 4x4 Titanium 52k miles Traded @ 74,000 miles.
2001 5.4L F150 4x4 Lariat extended cab on 285/17
1979 Harley Davidson Low Rider custom,2002 KTM 520 EXC Dirt bike,2007 450 Yamaha Grizzly atv
1998 honda 300 4x4 fourtrax atv
work hard to play hard.

Check out my youtube link here.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:46 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

gopros are like iphones. one is released each year.

promotional articles are meant to sway one to purchase something, so I am not surprised the article (i didnt read it) tickled your fancy..

i recommend you invest in a traditional camera--either a DSLR that shoots video or a dedicated video camcorder. the gopro does not sound like a good fit for your needs.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:27 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Ditto what Marctronixx said above... The go pro, as well as many other action cameras, don't have a view finder or screen. The wide angle of the lens captures most of what's in front of you but you get a bit of a fisheye effect. Better for you to get a dedicated handheld video cam. HD cams can be had for less than what a go pro goes for and you can get waterproof/shockproof as well. I have a Nikon aw100 and its been snorkeling, snowboarding, and mountain biking without issue.

'06 LE, Airaid MXP CAI w/dry filter - BullyDog GT w/regular tune - 20" Titan wheels w/Cooper ATP's - Int/Ext LED conversion - 5000K HID low beams - Bilstein HD - Amsoil Synthetic everywhere - Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramics pads
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:00 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Garage
Good points about the action cams.
Also threres no zoom for close up.
I been using them for years. Its a pain
To load to youtube ect.. the newer tvs
Has usb plugins for cams . Cameras..i like
My 2 nikons..d80 and d90 which has zoom vid.
Hard to beat a sony or cannon video cam.
But if you can get a gopro cheap i would scarf it up..

2015 Pearl white Platinum 4x4 Gift to my wife..
2nd owner 2010 5.6L Armada 4x4 Titanium 52k miles Traded @ 74,000 miles.
2001 5.4L F150 4x4 Lariat extended cab on 285/17
1979 Harley Davidson Low Rider custom,2002 KTM 520 EXC Dirt bike,2007 450 Yamaha Grizzly atv
1998 honda 300 4x4 fourtrax atv
work hard to play hard.

Check out my youtube link here.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:47 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had one and returned it. They take great video, but I could not get more than an hour out of the battery of constant recording. My JVC Harddrive cam got me about 2.5 hours so I went back to it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode