LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Garage
Home Security Systems

I just purchased my 1st home and am looking for a home security system that hopefully won't bite me in the wallet. I know ADT is widely known but have heard they also charge alot for monitoring and extra equipment. I've looked at online carriers like Front Point, Live Watch, Protect America...and those seem affordable but was wondering if any of you use them and how do you like them? In addition I thought about adding DIY camera's probably in the front of the house (doorway area) and one at the rear, more like the cameras that can just connect to your home network and can view on your mobile device.

If anyone has any experience with the above companies, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Being a 1st time home owner is stressing....LOL.

Thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Armada SE - charcoal leather, comf & conv package, tow package, back-up camera, power lift gate, bose stereo
Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*Bilstein HD front struts
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 03:58 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Garage
I have the dlink wireless cameras at my house and they do great. I have had them about two years and they are still plugging along.

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
1976 Apache Trailer Hard-side Pop Up
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplecat View Post
I have the dlink wireless cameras at my house and they do great. I have had them about two years and they are still plugging along.
Are they mounted outdoors? Would you happen to a have a model number or link so I can check them out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Armada SE - charcoal leather, comf & conv package, tow package, back-up camera, power lift gate, bose stereo
Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regdawg View Post
Are they mounted outdoors? Would you happen to a have a model number or link so I can check them out?

They are mounted outside under an overhang. They are not rated for out side but they have seen 105+ and below zero temps and are still working good. They are also not waterproof but as long as they are not in contact with water directly they will do good. I have the DCS-932L. They have newer model out now. Hope this helps.

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
They are mounted outside under an overhang. They are not rated for out side but they have seen 105+ and below zero temps and are still working good. They are also not waterproof but as long as they are not in contact with water directly they will do good. I have the DCS-932L. They have newer model out now. Hope this helps.
Can these be hooked up to record what's going on outside? We've had some vandalism in our neighborhood, including to my house over the weekend. I'm pretty sure I know who it is, but would certainly like some photographic evidence.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Can these be hooked up to record what's going on outside? We've had some vandalism in our neighborhood, including to my house over the weekend. I'm pretty sure I know who it is, but would certainly like some photographic evidence.

Keith

Mine can only do snapshots based on motion. But the new ones can do little video clips on motion detection. More expensive models you can set them up to stream and record all the time. I can remotely view mine from my phone at anytime.

James

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Mine can only do snapshots based on motion. But the new ones can do little video clips on motion detection. More expensive models you can set them up to stream and record all the time. I can remotely view mine from my phone at anytime.
With the ones that you have, where are the shots saved to? Sdcard?

Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:44 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

you can have these cams send the data to a cloud service. ADT is over priced and not worth the cost, because now you can build a system with off the shelf equipment.

there are free programs that setup your laptops cam to be a security cam. also you can purchase those skype cameras from staples, etc, ebay and set these up on a computer to send video to a NAS or cloud server (dropbox, google drive, microsoft cloud storage). you can also have snapshots emailed to you or sent via MMS/SMS.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regdawg View Post
With the ones that you have, where are the shots saved to? Sdcard?

I have them sent to a secondary email address. Some cameras do have card slots and some can steam to the cloud. There are a lot of options these days.

James

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:38 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

I have a Honeywell L7000 I bought from Geoarm. Their monitoring runs about $20 a month for central station and ability to monitor via wifi. I paid around $700 for all the pieces I wanted and installed it myself (wireless). Mine has wifi and cell for monitoring. The L7000 also can control and transmit video cameras. It can also control your a/c, lights, locks and garage door via wifi/ z wave. The zwave ability and camera ability cost a little more each month.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode