post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
My OEM battery lasted three years, almost to the day. The replacement did the same. We bought our Armada in Nov 2005 (it is a 2006 model), and we're on our 3rd battery, at 78,000 miles.
Gulp. I take a lot of short trips. So I will expect the standard electrolyte lead-acid battery won't last long. My qx56 (assuming all vk56) needs 313 amps to crank and start:

2006 Infiniti QX56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:34 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)

The stock battery is only to get you out the door. one should replace its ASAP. I use odyssey batteries and could not be happier with their performance. Optimal are not what they used to be since they were sold off years ago...
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Just had a second failure on my 2012 with 70,000 miles. Of course, happened while I was out of town....I get the panicked text "my car won't start" from my wife. Went with a replacement from AAA since she needed to get up and running again.

Meanwhile, the battery in my 65 Buick is over 8 years old and still cranks after sitting for a couple of months. I don't think the batteries have changed much, it is the amount of current draw, even when not running, that today's new cars put on the battery.

Also, kind of ironic, I drive an electric car as my daily driver. In 38,000 miles of driving over 3 1/2 years, the only failure I had was with the 12V battery. The car becomes a brick when the 12V dies (Ford Focus Electric). Can't even open the back doors or the hatch, have to use the metal key to open the drivers door. Jumped the 12V, and all was good again. Ford replaced the 12V under warranty.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
I installed a Northstar AGM battery in the QX because these OE batteries aren't made to last. AGM batteries, whether Northstar or Odyssey is worth every penny. As marctronixx stated, Optima batteries don't have the same quality as they did 15-20 years ago. They were manufactured in the US but after being sold off by Interstate, their quality became similar to lead-acid batteries.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:23 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
I installed a Northstar AGM battery
Do you remember what model you purchased?

2005 Armada LE 4WD (JBA catback, stock airfilter, Eibach springs, Bilstein 5100 front/Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Nokian Rotiiva AT LT265s)

"Good judgement comes from experience;
experience comes from bad judgement."
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:48 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Northstar NSB-AGM27.

I ordered it from impactbattery.com. They’re an authorized retailer for Northstar as well as Odyssey and other brands

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:16 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
Northstar NSB-AGM27.

I ordered it from impactbattery.com. They’re an authorized retailer for Northstar as well as Odyssey and other brands
Thanks for the quick reply!

Another question, more general... I noticed on RockAuto.com that they differentiate batteries based on if you have the Tow Package or not. What is the difference in the engine bay?

Is it the aux. trans. oil cooler hard-lines?

2005 Armada LE 4WD (JBA catback, stock airfilter, Eibach springs, Bilstein 5100 front/Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Nokian Rotiiva AT LT265s)

"Good judgement comes from experience;
experience comes from bad judgement."
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:29 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
I don’t know why rockauto sections off the batteries that way but definitely no change in the engine bay. The 04-15 armada utilizes a group 35 or 34R battery; the AGM27 I posted is what I got for my QX80.
I went for the battery with the highest CCA and the Northstar is rated at 930CCA along with a 1750 pulse cranking amp.
marctronixx likes this.

- Terrence McNally

Last edited by primoV8; 04-17-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:01 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)

This car has so many sensors and such that just can tax the card battery even if its not running. I meant there is a little led light on the shift console they blinks every so often. There’s the shirts light that blinks—that tales battery energy to keep those sensors running...
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
This car has so many sensors and such that just can tax the card battery even if its not running. I meant there is a little led light on the shift console they blinks every so often. There’s the shirts light that blinks—that tales battery energy to keep those sensors running...
This is true for most modern cars. I have a 2002 BMW 530i that I drive (mostly) daily. When I park it in the garage on the weekend the battery charger gets hooked up. By the end of the week it's typically at about 60% capacity just due to parasitic drain. It does have an aftermarket Ipod interface controller that could be zapping power, and it's know for blower motor resistor parasitic drains too.

If your car sits for any period of time hook up a battery charger.
marctronixx likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode