Major maintenance on 2012 Infiniti QX56 - Page 17 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 166 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)

This is how the fluids that I drained looked after 50,000 miles of service on both.

On left (3/4 full) is front differential fluid.
On right is (full) is the transfer case fluid.

Yesterday, I had some time and decided to try a new sealant that I bought. It is made in Britain and has awesome reviews. It has very limited stock in the US and often sells out fast when the company has it in stock. I ordered it to apply it to my car.

First, washed my car and applied my Total Finish Protection (TFP) polymer sealant. Hard job to apply on the whole car and buff it out. But I had to do it to prep the paint better.

I let car sit for like 20 minutes and then went to work with the TAC System's Moonlight coating. Amazing product, but I messed up on application and now some parts of my car look a bit smeared. But overall car has a deeper glossy shine to it. Looks rich. It truly looks nice. Mirror like.

The product is strange. The product is petroleum base and actuary smells like gas. Like the gas we actually put in our cars. Smells like it, feels like it and works like it. Somehow like gas mixed with oil to get a good consistency. I swear, I do not know how these people made this product to be friendly on painted surfaces. You can say it is like lotion for the car like we have lotion for our bodies. It is made in Britain. And not easily available here in the US. I put it on my yellow application pad and it soaks it. It is truly like gas and then I used that to spread it on my car.

The bottle has 250ml in it. Which is what? 8.5 oz or say 1/4 quart. The amount of product you get is small compared to the price you pay for it. $54.99 shipped. But some people claim it can do atleast 12 normal sedans like a Toyota Camry. Based on how I used it and what I think, I can use this bottle and do a car as big as my car like 7 to 10 times. This first time that I used it, I used too much and I messed up by letting it sit for too long before I buffed it out. But I will fix it.

I did my whole suv and I think I put or say used too much, but the outcome looks great, though I could have had a better result if I had followed instructions to the T! They claim this product will last for 9 months. But I doubt. I plan to redo the work again and make it better. But right now it still looks great.

I am just putting this out there if anybody is interested in trying something like this.

If you do it, I recommend you first polish your car with whatever polish of your choice before applying this sealant. The sealant definitely makes my car have a deeper glossy shine. It truly looks good. My suv is in my garage curing. The cure time is like 4 hours, but some recommend let your car sit for 12 to 24 hours before using it or letting any water touch the surface so the thing should bond well with your paint. Well, my car will sit in that garage and cure for atleast 3 days, since I have no use for the car now busy with work and I use my Maxima for work.

This is a good video of it on youtube...

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 02-11-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 166 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada View Post
Oh no. I would hate to be a Guinea pig and lift only one wheel to change fluid under my car. That would give me very wrong measurements.

I have 4 of those ramps. I put them infront all 4 tires, put my car on 4Lo and get up all 4 ramps and I am as level as can be and my garage is level. I did the job at night and always use all my led lights that I have and I have like 4 super bright led lights to help light up under my truck.

That is the only way I can fit comfortably under my truck. The only risk I have is that when draining or filling the front differential, I am completely under my truck and if those ramps were to give way, I may die for sure. But I doubt all 4 ramps would give way all at the same time.

So, when I am draining the front differential, I stay under the truck for as little as be. I open the filler hole. Open the drain plug and put my bucket and get out from under the truck. I go and do other things around and return like 15 minutes later. Go under the truck and close up the drain plug and then get out and get my things ready to fill it up. Then go back and fill it up until it starts coming out of filler hole. Lock it up, clean area with WD40 and that is done and get out of there.

For the transfer case, I am never under my suv completely. I am just halfway under my car and basically take my time on any especially as I love to document things and I am always using my phone to take many pictures of things I like to document. Then I select the pictures I would like to share and post them.

I think this my build thread would hopefully be helpful to some people who may want to tackle this.

The only Guinea pig thing I do not mind is my larger filter. The car now has 2,500 miles since oil change with larger filter. Car is going strong. So, the larger filter is working fine. I plan to change it at 5,000 miles, but I may change it any time soon now that on bobistheoilguy com, I am learning about sales of oil that makes me get oil for dirt cheap. So, I am thinking I may be changing my oil every 3,000 miles because I am buying the oil at half or way less than half normal price.
Huh. Then I have no clue as to why you took out more than you put in. Did you perform the last fill or did you have it done?

2011 QX56 loaded with everything including, you guessed it, HBMC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stuffed with 285/55r22 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s
post #163 of 166 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Was the fluid that you removed hot? If so it will have expanded somewhat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 166 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbrow Hillbilly w/HBMC View Post
Huh. Then I have no clue as to why you took out more than you put in. Did you perform the last fill or did you have it done?
I performed the last fill. it is on page 4 of this thread. Here is the link...

https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/18...ti-qx56-4.html

I think I see what may have happened. This bottle of Rock Oil is actually more than 1 quart. I used one bottle and just a little bit of the other bottle. This oil is made and labeled in Britain in litres. The bottle is labeled in litres and has a measurement of quarts on it. But this is British oil for landrovers and other mainly British vehicles and the main measurement on the bottle is in litres. So, maybe I did put close to that amount.

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

post #165 of 166 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Was the fluid that you removed hot? If so it will have expanded somewhat.
It was not hot since all I did was turn on the car, back up. Put all 4 ramps and got my car in 4Lo and got up all 4 ramps. then went to work to drain the fluids. The fluid was not hot at all.

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

post #166 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

After 3 months and only 2,750 miles, I decided I wanted another oil change on my QX. I am often on bobistheoilguy and take advantage of some deals that some guys share on there about oil discounts. Like buying these 2 jugs of Penzoil Ultra Platinum 10w30 full synthetic for $34 shipped, after the $20 mail in rebate from penzoil. That is each 5 quart jug cost me only $17.

This is my first time going with 10w30. I am going with it because it is recommended in hot areas like Mexico and I live in Texas which is very hot now.

I am going with 10w30 to try it out and see. And I plan to run it for 5,000 miles.

Still using a larger filter. The last one worked flawlessly.

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 03-29-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode