QX80/56 DIY Midnight black grille - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
QX80/56 DIY Midnight black grille

Took advantage of a nice, warm day in NYC today and decided to DIY-plastidip the front upper grille on my QX80. The actual OE Midnight grille option from Infiniti is $400+. I've yet to actually see one in person so I figure plastidip + glossifier would do the trick... and it did.

The finished result:

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally

Last edited by primoV8; 04-15-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Just an aesthetic upgrade.
LED rear bumper lights in place of the OE reflectors.

Next on the to do/mod list are OE Limited black-housed taillights, Rotora BBK (8-piston front/6-piston rear).

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:50 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

How did you do the led upgrade? Care to share? I would be interested in seeing it. May like to do it.

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada View Post
How did you do the led upgrade? Care to share? I would be interested in seeing it. May like to do it.
My apologies, here's the link of the ebay seller I had purchased it from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Red-LED-...1asMXG&vxp=mtr

There's actually another style from different vendors that uses a flat, LED filament. GARBAGE. I bought a set, installed it and it blew out immediately. The vendor sent me another pair and not even 48hrs. later, blown again. I had to go through PayPal to get my money back; definitely not worth the time and hassle.

For now, I just tapped into the parking light wire on the tow hitch harness in order to turn on when the parking lights/headlights turn on. When I have time, I'll wire them up separately with their own switch so I can turn them on independently.

- Terrence McNally
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:13 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

That looks really good. I like it.

So where are you planning to get the limited tail lights? We have a member here selling his. I think his would be a great buy for the money. And very well taken care of. Really in excellent condition. I was interested in buying it but do not really want to change my lights again for now.

2012 Infiniti QX56
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Online, a full set is $1079 shipped to NYC. When I get the chance to head back to NJ next week, I'm going to see if Fette Infiniti will match or even beat that price.

- Terrence McNally
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
Online, a full set is $1079 shipped to NYC. When I get the chance to head back to NJ next week, I'm going to see if Fette Infiniti will match or even beat that price.
Oh wow. Where do you find it for that price shipped? Way cheaper than his asking price.

2012 Infiniti QX56
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Genuineinfinitiparts.com, from what I've searched, had the best price shipped to NYC.

- Terrence McNally
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:10 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)

thx for the link, just ordered.

are the lamps here a direct fit with the reflectors that are in the bumper?

just curious, why are you deciding to wire up each side separately via switch?

these can be tapped right into the tail lights in back yes?

do you have the pin out for the trailer hitch?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
These LED lamps are a direct fit, no mods necessary on the bumper itself. Regarding wiring, they can be wired to work 2-way just like OE tail lamps where you can use the (+) signal of the parking lights to have them on at the same time and the second (+) wire from these lamps connected to either the brake lamp signal or turn signal wire. When wired this way, it'll be dimly lit and only light up brighter when the second signal is triggered.

As to how I wired it for now, I wanted it to be similar to a rear fog light and didn't want it dimly lit. I didn't use the signal wire on the LED lamps for the parking lights; instead, I just used the second signal wire, which triggers the LEDs to light up brighter as pictured.
The tow hitch cover actually has a diagram as to what correlates to each pin so finding the (+) signal was very easy.

What I meant by wiring them up separately later on, is using a relayed wiring harness and switch so I could turn them on without having to wait for the parking/headlights to turn on since I keep it on AUTO at the stalk.
marctronixx likes this.

- Terrence McNally

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode