AutoDimmin Mirrors when towing - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By sswiss
  • 1 Post By Campfamily
  • 1 Post By Campfamily

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage
AutoDimmin Mirrors when towing

So I recently started towing an enclosed trailer, which is just as high as the car. On my last long haul, I realized that since the entire rear window is covered by the trailer, my auto dimming rear view and side view mirrors are not working. The sensor is located in the rear view mirror, which does not get to see the head lights from the cars behind you, and thus will not dim the side view mirrors which in turn shine straight in your eyes.

I figured I would quickly google this issue and find some mod to get around this issue. So far I have yet to find a single post about this issue. Do newer vehicles, such as trucks that are made for towing have a work around to this? Is there any aftermarket solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:01 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)

Can’t speak for other cars but even on th latest models of armada and qx the inside rear view mirror still dictates the auto dim feature.

You can find out what pin/wire on the mirrors controls this value, and say, setup a continuous analog potentiometer to vary the dimming feature. I Don’t think its that much of a big deal for someone to mod that, nor for an 3rd party company to make a design to mod it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
I Donít think its that much of a big deal for someone to mod that, nor for an 3rd party company to make a design to mod it.
I am just perplexed that I seem to be the only one on the entire internet with this issue I was expecting to see hundred of posts about this and multiple companies offering solutions to it. I guess I was wrong
marctronixx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

I had noticed the same behavior when towing my trailer, but hadn't thought about a way to solve it because it really didn't matter. First, my trailer is wide enough that I can't see much in the side mirrors anyway; headlights don't come into view until the car is about 30-40 feet behind me. Second, whatever solution I would come up with wouldn't have an impact on my trailer mirrors, which is where I get the majority of the glare anyway.

On second thought, think of this as a feature.....makes backing up the trailer in the dark much easier!!! :-)

Keith
marctronixx likes this.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)

There’s thousands of thousands of cars that are out in the world and who’s owners feel the same way you do. I just think at the end of the days its not something that’s really important, as campfamily attests to (he’s the target market). But, perhaps you can be the first to make a design that alleviates this!

Make something that’s easy to install and get a Chinese oem to make a couple thousand of these kits, them sell them on amazon. PROFIT !!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:41 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Here's another target audience....the owner who puts a dark tint on his/her back window, and a lesser tint on the side window. The inside rear view mirror will dim appropriately (since it's already dimmed by the tint), but the outside mirrors won't dim as much as if the tint wasn't there.

The business case for this just keeps getting better and better!!!

No charge for this analysis. :-)
marctronixx likes this.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode