Looking to get a used Armada. Any warning signs for older models? - Page 2 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

With 231,000 miles and you classifying it as "not a steal" I'd walk away. Find a lower mileage model with a verifiable service history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:06 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt601 View Post
I'd be curious as to why they only owned it for 4 months. Does it have something big they don't want or can't afford to fix?

Paul

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I asked him the same question. His response was he bought it because he was getting married and his Fiance had children. But they ended up not getting married and he doesn't need it any longer.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:07 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
With 231,000 miles and you classifying it as "not a steal" I'd walk away. Find a lower mileage model with a verifiable service history.
I mean its an SE and he is asking 3,900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Your call. I stand behind my previous statement.

Whether or not it is a good idea is totally dependent on your risk threshold. Only you can answer that.

Last edited by crazy4trains; 02-11-2019 at 04:07 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

He's probably selling it cause he can't afford to keep fuel in it lol I know our's is horrible! If the wife didn't have a company gas card it'd be gone after a week. We don't have cheap gas like you do in the states.

04 Armada LE
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Garage
Don't forget that these things are expensive if there is a major problem. You might have a mechanic look it over before you pull the trigger. It's cheap insurance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:11 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

New member shopping for Armada

Hi everyone. My name is Seth and we live in Indiana. We are currently shopping for a Armada to replace my wife’s 98 Expedition. I have read on here to try and go 2008 and up. It does seem that these have to be pretty reliable as quite a few people keep them into the high 200 or 300,000 mile categories. Also what is real world mileage as I have heard it’s bad. My expedition has never gotten more the 13 mpg. Is the Armada comparable?

I wrench on my cars myself 99% of the time so I am trying to put a list together of things to worry about. Please feel free to add to the list or correct me if I am wrong.

1. Coolant getting into the transmission. (Was there a recall on this? If not is the fix a new radiator, transmisssion lines?)

2. Exhaust manifolds, many seem to replace with headers? Any brand that is better then another?

3. Rear bushings wear prematurely?

That’s my short list as I have much more to learn. Looked at one with the power third row but the big side wasn’t working. Are these repairable or do you just have to installed a new motor? Are these expensive?

Thank you all a head of time for any help or insight you can give. It’s between a Sequioa and an Armada but my wife loved the Armada.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hey i have a 2010 qx56 (same as armada) and i love it. I get an average mpg of about 14.7, depends on how much i am playing around. And if you do get coolant in the tranny it is a new radiator that is needed. The lines in the radiator have been damaged, and hope it was not enough to damage the tranny. And yea a lot of people do switch out to headers when the time is right for repairs.

On a side note if you get the big tow package it will have the rear air support shocks. Over time the bags dry out or get damaged so be prepared to change them out at some point as i have.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:07 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter1406 View Post
It does seem that these have to be pretty reliable as quite a few people keep them into the high 200 or 300,000 mile categories. Also what is real world mileage as I have heard it’s bad. My expedition has never gotten more the 13 mpg. Is the Armada comparable?

I wrench on my cars myself 99% of the time so I am trying to put a list together of things to worry about. Please feel free to add to the list or correct me if I am wrong.

My 2005 LE has like 219,xxx miles on it, and still seems to work. It's got a bunch of rattles and a few problems, but fires up every day and drives me 70+ miles a day to work and back up here in New Hampshire. It's done well in summer and winter.

I get a little over 15 MPG combined, but it goes up a little once the weather warms up.

If you can do easy/medium jobs (oil changes, brakes, hoses/belts, wheel bearings, etc..) you'll be fine, and save a bunch of money.

I have the leaky manifolds, which are kind of annoying, but whatever. I already have the JBA catback exhaust, and will be hoping to get headers and b-pipes to finish the system off this summer.
marctronixx likes this.

2005 Armada LE 4WD (JBA catback, stock airfilter, Eibach springs, Bilstein 5100 front/Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Nokian Rotiiva AT LT265s)

"Good judgement comes from experience;
experience comes from bad judgement."
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:32 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

If it has over 100k miles, the exhaust manifolds are probably cracked. Easy solution is to buy jba long tube headers. Mine took all day to do, but it wasn't too bad compared to other jobs I've done.

Mode door actuators for the heater start clicking and go bad, but they are about $35, and easy to replace. I did the front and the rear ones.

Rear airbags for suspension leak on older trucks. I replaced mine with aftermarket shocks and springs.

I drive mine like it's a rental car, and never had an engine or transmission issue. It has a lot of miles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode