Installed a (much) larger oil filter - Page 4 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:35 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

I finally got my large filter. Now just need a day to decide when to go get my oil change. Keeping fingers crossed that dealership does not refuse to install this filter for me. Because of that, I plan to buy the real filter and just have it with me. Just in case they refuse to install this, I will have the real oem filter for it.

I also bought 2 PCV valves to change the ones on my QX. I cannot do it myself so need to find someone to do it and I pay for it.

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 12-17-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:33 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Just did an oil change. Used a Donaldson P552849.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190222_152035.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	45441  

2011 QX56 loaded with everything including, you guessed it, HBMC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stuffed with 285/55r22 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:25 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbrow Hillbilly w/HBMC View Post
Just did an oil change. Used a Donaldson P552849.
Nice! Did you do your own oil change or the dealership did it for you? What grade oil did you use? Still 0w20? How long do you plan to run this before your next oil change?

My own large filter is still going great. No leaks or loss of engine yet. So, it is working. I have put about 2,800 miles on the large filter and my first use of 0W20 so far. May use it till 5,00 miles or may change it before then. I will see.

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:07 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada View Post
Nice! Did you do your own oil change or the dealership did it for you? What grade oil did you use? Still 0w20? How long do you plan to run this before your next oil change?

My own large filter is still going great. No leaks or loss of engine yet. So, it is working. I have put about 2,800 miles on the large filter and my first use of 0W20 so far. May use it till 5,00 miles or may change it before then. I will see.
I changed it myself. I used a mish mash of different Mobil 1 synthetics. I found a couple quarts in my garage that were left over from vehicles past.

1qt - 0W-40 Euro
1qt - 5w-30 don't recall the specific flavor
2qt - 0w-20 Extended Performance High Mileage
3.5qt - 5w-40 Delvac 1 ESP

IIRC still have 5 quarts of the 0w-20 EPHM. I'll mix 2.5qts of that in on the next 2 oil changes on the QX and then I'll just stick with the 5w-40 from there on out. The 0w-20 seemed to noticeably tick a bit more on cold startups, say anything near freezing or below.

Getting into the 0w-20, after doing more reading it doesn't seem like it is a worthwhile oil to switch to. If I need a 0w anything I'd rather just go to a 0w-40. I just got a little hung up with the fact that they were running this in the new rigs with the same engine. I think this stuff is going to ultimately cause more wear for people over time. Especially in larger than average size SUV's which might see a little more heavy use in regards to towing and whatnot. Not that the 0w-20 is a horrible option I just don't think it's going to be a positive thing in the aggregate. IMO all it was, was a means for reaching mileage goals for manufacturers. They don't care if it knocks a portion of the engines life off.

I'm just going to stick with 5,000 mile OCI's. Running a UOA just doesn't pencil out for me. I ran a bunch of numbers and I'd be possibly saving a little money keeping the oil in there longer, but unless I pay for a more spendy oil analysis, that includes fuel dilution, I'm just kinda rolling the dice. And if you pay the extra for the fuel dilution number then you might as well just change the oil, as it is about a wash monetarily.

2011 QX56 loaded with everything including, you guessed it, HBMC

Stuffed with 285/55r22 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s

Last edited by Highbrow Hillbilly w/HBMC; 03-03-2019 at 05:16 PM.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:23 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
I changed it myself. I used a mish mash of different Mobil 1 synthetics.
This is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with that at all. These cars can take a variety of oil and still work fine. I was thinking about mixing things too, but just wonder how confused the people at the dealership will be when I give them different oils to mix. IO take my oil to the dealership and pay them exactly $9.90 out the door.

Quote:
Getting into the 0w-20, after doing more reading it doesn't seem like it is a worthwhile oil to switch to. I think this stuff is going to ultimately cause more wear for people over time. Especially in larger than average size SUV's.
Yup! I think that 0W20 is best for brand new engines that can truly see the benefit of it. And I have read a lot that thin oil increases more wear and tear on the engine. I mean it is something that would take years to notice though. I am also thinking I may not use 0w20, especially in my own QX since it is older and has 135,450 miles on odometer. So, 0w20 is not the best oil to use. 5w30 or 10w30. Sounds like more possible choices for me since I have used 0w40 in my Maxima and did not like it. But my Maxima now has 248,500 miles and I am the first and only owner and I am hoping to still keep that car until atleast 300,000 miles on odometer. Though the car is not perfect now, I just took it on a 800 miles round trip to Mexico last weekend and it performed great.

Quote:
I'm just going to stick with 5,000 mile OCI's.
Definitely a great interval. One does not really need a UOS if doing only 5,000 miles oil changes, even if it was dino oil. I frequent bobistheoilguy.com and those guys some times post deals they see and people rush to walmart, AAP, autozone or order on Amazon and get good brand oils for cheap! I am talking about things like buying the full synthetic annual mobil 1 oil that costs $39.99 for the 5 gallons, they get it on sale for like $15 or some times for like $5 after rebates! I got a recent deal that was half price and I have it just sitting at home. I will stock up too if I find other deals. These guys post the deals and the deals may vary from state to state, but when they find one that makes the price of the oil like over 80% cheaper, those guys buy it ALL from wherever they see the deal. If I get some, I will stock up and just be changing my oil like every 3,000 miles because I will have a stock.

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread..., Aiming for 250K on odometer.
2012 Infiniti QX56
... KING OF THE ROAD
2008 Nissan Maxima SE
... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:24 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

The day I installed my Yokohama tires, I found out it would rub at full turn. I got upset and went home and ordered another set of offroad tires that should fit without any worries. I ordered the Radar Renegade R/T+ 285/50R22.

I was going to return the Yokohama tires and install the Radar, but I did a bit of modification. I zip tied the wheel well inner liner and now the Yokohama does not scrub. Since I really like the Yokohama tires, I will have to return these radar tires. Glad to know from seller that they pay for returns.

So within the last 4 weeks, I have ordered 3 sets of brand new tires.

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 03-04-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode