2005 owners beware of rust and paint bubbling problem - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2005 owners beware of rust and paint bubbling problem

I am the third Nissan owner that had this and Nissan refuses to warranty this with any of us. The one associate that had his 2005 Frontier exhibit this problem was going through the legal system. I don't know the outcome but remember he did end up with a Chevy Silverado.

I had the problem and Nissan refused to warranty the problem. The dealership's body shop acknowledge paint defect but Nissan claims environmental drop out and will not warranty.

A coworker with a 2005 Xterra has exactly the same problem and is going to be getting rid of her Xterra.

The problem:
Small dimples in the paint that look like dust specs from a contaminated paint shop. These dimples form a center hole. In a short period of time these dimples become 1/4" spots where the paint is bubbling. Shortly after, the paint peels into a rust spot, but edges continue to peel and bubble up.

Nissan claimed this was rail dust. To find information, web is full on this topic. However, rail dust does not bubble or peel the paint. Rail dust etches into the paint but doesn't not cause it to peel or bubble.

Rail dust is common and can be usually wiped away with no ill affect. ONLY WHEN LEFT FOR MONTHS, will it finally start to etch.

So if you have this problem, beware as you have a headache waiting. The body shop stated a complete repaint was needed as the paint was defective. Stated I could do it panel at a time, as needed or a complete paint job that was over $5,000.

Nissan refuses to admit to the paint defect and further refuses to cover it under the paint warranty.

This is the reason why I rid myself of the Pathfinder. It was just to costly to repair when it's value had depreciated so poorly. It was also showing to be unreliable with abs sensor failing as well as belt tensioners under 50,000 miles. That just added to the paint concern.

My parents and friends have Altimas and Sentras and these vehicles don't seem to be affected but Nissan's Trucks and SUVs are unfortunately.

Because Nissan refused to warranty a defect in their vehicle, I had no more patience for a company that won't stand behind their product. Besides, the recent Titan was a nightmare and this Pathfinder was supposed to be the vehicle to make up for the troubled Titan. One great Nissan Xterra, one Terrible Titan, and one disappointing Pathfinder.

Some information, the 2005 Xterra that had paint problems was white as was the 2005 Frontier. My 2005 Pathfinder was Silver. Hopefully these were the only years affected. If you don't see troubles by now, you shouldn't have to worry. I seen these paint defects on models sitting on the showroom floors yet they claimed Rail Dust from the train transportation. They even said those wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Just a word of warning, not putting down the Pathfinder, because I really liked it and wanted to keep it.

Have a good one.

Current
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with 4.6L V8 w/ 292 Hp and 300 lbs of torque; tow rating of 7000 lbs trailer weight & 730 lbs tongue weight; Base Payload of 1400 lbs and Useable Payload of 1220 lbs. after Hard Tonneau Cover, Built In Bedliner, Side Step Rails, Tow Package and Interior Vehicle Options. More Capability than my Titan with a soft Tonneau (Tow 6500#/650#; Useable Payload 1213#) .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gone!

Click on Pic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

thanks for sharing this articles
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Sorry to hear you had this problem. I had a 2005 that ran flawlessy and showed no signs of the problem you wrote about. Wonder if it was on cars that were painted on a specific day or week. It would be interesting to compare the dates.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode