Nissan is becoming a very disappointing company. - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nissan is becoming a very disappointing company.

Okay,

I really feel bad for the Pathfinder group. I was actually considering a new Pathfinder for my next vehicle;

Not any more.

Why oh why does a car company build a truck with a CVT transmission?
These work well in Snowmobiles not trucks. I know that they are suppose to be more fuel efficient, but I do buy a truck for that, I buy a truck to haul/pull/etc everything under the sun.

I really enjoyed the Maxima for years, then they went to a CVT, now, I will not only not drive one, I will not own one.

Nissan - What happened

Capitalization is important like, helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, or helping your uncle jack off a horse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Did I miss something?? The current Pathfinder has the 5-sp Auto... I agree about the CVT, I have in the Murano and I have grown to believe it's one of the dumbest things ever made.. It does NOT save on fuel, there is definitely less power transferred, it is smooth BUT so is the 5-sp Auto... In the future I'll avoid the CVT like it's a plague.. FWIW our current Armada Transmissions came from the 350z and they only made one 5-sp Auto for all their vehicles. - lol...

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

I agree. I can't beleive Nissan is putting a CVT in the new Pathfinder. It just isnt right. The other thing that just isnt right is they are going with the unibody construction, not a body on frame. It just aint right.

New: 2012 Nissan Titan SL, Premium Utility Package, Tint, WeatherTech Floor Liners, AirRaid MXP, Bully Dog GT, Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestik Antenna.

Old: 2004 Nissan Armada LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Nissan is following the industry trend away from truck-based SUVs into the crossover market. Unfortunately, there are way more people wanting to buy those types of vehicles that there are people like us, who need and want a truck with our SUV.

X2 on the CVT comments. I've rented cars with CVTs, and hate them; it's like driving a motorboat.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:20 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
I've owned a 350Z and now a Mada. I've been happy with both my purchases. IMHO, Nissan is a great company who makes very reliable cars.

Angel Vivas, III
2006 Nissan Armada SE 4x2 Silver Lightning

UPRev Tuned (Cajun Style)
Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust
Cajun Catless B-Pipes
Volant Cold Air Intake
CSF 3328 Racing All-Aluminum Radiator
2" Front Leveling Kit (To Even Her Out)
Bilstein HD Front Struts
Interior LED Kit
6000 HID Kit
Nissan Black Grill Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite130 View Post
I agree. I can't beleive Nissan is putting a CVT in the new Pathfinder. It just isnt right. The other thing that just isnt right is they are going with the unibody construction, not a body on frame. It just aint right.
The previous gen PF was unibody. Our 01 was unibody and nothing wrong with it at all. It had something like a 5K tow rating. I was actually surprised that Nissan bucked the trend and went back to a body on frame platform with the current PF. People don't drive their SUVs/trucks like most of us on CA do. We're the 1%

If Nissan wants to keep growing sales and get the PF back to where it was, they needed to go unibody. Look at how well the GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave triplets have sold- they're almost the "new" minivan. They look like a "real" SUV but still can crack mid 20's on the highway. I believe that less than half even sell with the AWD option.

I'm not touching the CVT- never have driven one and have not heard a good word about it.

2008 Infiniti QX56 4x4 (Tuscan Pearl/Wheat), 2009 Audi Q7 S-Line (Daytona Gray/Black), 2009 Infiniti G37xS (Garnet Red/Stone), 1994 Mazda Miata (Laguna Blue/Black), Previous Nissans:, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4 (sold 2/08), 1993.5 Infiniti G20-manual (RIP 7/8/04)

Last edited by keg97; 01-12-2012 at 05:33 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelVivas View Post
I've owned a 350Z and now a Mada. I've been happy with both my purchases. IMHO, Nissan is a great company who makes very reliable cars.
I agree, Ive owned many types of cars/trucks and Nissan makes a good product

CVTs can be great transmissions....8-10% increase in MPG and Nissan has a 100k warranty on em, they have been messing with the CVTs since 03 so Im sure theyve done a lot of R&D to get them in the higher powered vehicles such as our SUVs

Theyre trying to stay competitive in the market

-Eli
04 Armada 20s with 35's Nitto RidgeGrapplers, Pinch Weld Mod, Titan 08+ 4x4 coils, Bilstein 5100s (middle setting), Rancho quicklift rear w/Raybestos 589-1150 coils, 22" Magnaflow exhaust, limo tint, Debadged, Billet grille, bull bar, rear brush guard, Armaden LED package, Torque Pro Vehicle monitoring via Nexus 7 indash tablet (CyanogenMod) ELM327 (OBDII-bluetooth), Viper Alarm, Die Hard Batt, Royal Purple Synthetics...lotsa plastidip
April 2012 Ride of the Month...
Thanks guys
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 03:24 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invanity View Post
CVTs can be great transmissions....8-10% increase in MPG and Nissan has a 100k warranty on em...
Don't believe everything you read... As a CVT owner for about 7yrs now, i can tell you that they are a POS and far from 8-10% MPG better.. Maybe 1-2 mpg better but definitely NOT 8%... Considering the lag in response, I'd like to give back that maybe 1mpg to again have no hesitation in the throttle.

The Armada spanks a Murano in 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, or whatever quick run.. Wanna guess why?? There's nothing more frustrating than stepping on the gas then counting 1.. 2... 3... 4.. ahhhh then it moves. Irritating just to move it around in the driveway.. It's one of the worst purchases I've ever made, definitely the worst new vehicle purchase... If you want a stout V6 to respond like a weak 4cyl just put a Nissan CVT behind it.

When I sell it, I'm thinking maybe something like a Lexus IS ro replace it with but definitely no more Nissan CVT POS's for this avid driver.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 01-15-2012 at 03:26 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

They are attempting to develop the cvts for use in future pure electric vehicles like the leaf. Like it or not the instant torque of the electric motor can work with a cvt. By your the way I am not a fan of cvt or electric vehicle technology

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

07 Granite Armada (Sold)
11 Armada Platinum Silver Lightning (sadly traded)
13 Infiniti JX35 AWD
13 VW Touareg TDI
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
I like the idea of electric.. I like alternative fuels too..

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode