Things to watch out for on '05 Pathfinder? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question Things to watch out for on '05 Pathfinder?

We're looking at getting an Armada or new Pathfinder. Looking for 4WD/AWD (good off-road) with 7 seats and (relatively) good gas mileage. What things do I need to know about the Pathfinder or what to watch out for...

Thanks,

Jon (Hud33)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 11:41 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

I just purchased a 2005 Pathfinder SE Offroad 4 X 4. Black with Black leather, premium package, DVD. I needed a veickle that couldget 20+ MPG that was my goal otherwise I would get another F150. Beautiful Truck with a Great ride, quiet, and comfortable.

But the gas mileage sucks!

Sticker said 18/21 MPG and I have been driving it like an old lady going to church and have not been able to get above 15 mpg. My F150 with 150K gets better mileage. I hope this gets better or I will have major buyers remorse on this thing!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 03:03 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Jon, Pathfinder is ~ 4500 lbs of metal to haul around, the Armada is ~5500 lbs. Good gas mileage, good performance and a heavy vehicle just doesn't exist. At best you can get two of these three.

And as Ready Teddy pointed out, the official gas mileage figures are so misleading, they're practically fraudulent. (Not just on Nissans though.)

Really, expecting 20 mpg avg from a true SUV (i.e. heavy, big engine) isn't realistic. Hybrids are pretty much snake oil too once you get them out on the highway.

Last edited by A1ex; 08-22-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:33 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

The only other thing I can think of to watch out for with the Mada and Finder is A/C. Even after the TSB, they may be a little on the weak side for some people. If you live in a hot climate, take them for a test drive now before the weather cools to see if they're livable for you. Get the dealer to pick one that's been sitting in the sun out on the lot for a while for the worst case test.

The 'Finder AC seemed fair to me - tested in ~93F temp and didn't use recirculate, so it had to draw in hot air from outside. Took a while to ramp up while idling, (again, worst case: low revs = less compression) but after 3 mins or so was reasonably cool. The back vents seemed mediocure, but you'd expect them to take longer to get cold.

When I drove the '05 Amada it was low 80's, so not much of a test, however the back vents only seemed to blow warm air, even after 3 mins of idle. (I double checked that the settings weren't wrong.) They eventually got going part way through the test drive, but given the moderate outside temp I was surprised by their poor performance and imagining how bad it would be if it were 20 degrees hotter.

Anyway, hopefully some things to think about and check on your test drive. I'm gonna have to wait until I can test in brutal 100F conditions to see if either vehicle is gonna work for me before I buy. Heck, AC is so important to me that I'd consider buying a Hyndai if it had enough space and had the most frigid AC around, so maybe my priorities are a little warped.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode