Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

one4freedom intro

6K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Invanity 
#1 ·
Hello, all!

I stumbled across this site researching Armadas last week and decided to join. I don't have an Armada yet, but that should be remedied in the next week or so.

I am 28 yrs old. I do software QA for a company called inContact. Most of my free time is spent reloading and shooting various firearms. I have been married to my beautiful wife for 6 yrs, and we have 2 little boys who are turning 1 and 3 this month.

This car will be replacing our 2001 Pathfinder that has been great to us. My wife doesn't want to get a Mada until our next baby comes sometime probably next year because she doesn't want to drive a tank. We are working on a compromise where she will drive my IS300 until the baby comes - I'm fine with that. We purchased a 1998 22.5' Crownline last year and need something with enough power to get it up the canyons to the lakes.

I am pretty mechanically inclined. I do all my own mechanic work usually. I have a 1995 Miata project car that should be hitting the roads this summer with a new built bottom end and custom turbo job all done in my garage.

Look forward to learning lots, but probably won't be posting much. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge on here!

-Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to CA Steve. Good luck on your pursuit of an Armada

#5 ·
Welcome to the Club!!

#9 · (Edited)
Welcome to CA.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I didn't respond earlier because right after I came and did my intro the wife changed her mind about getting a Mada this year. She said I could have a SuperMoto bike and a shotgun if I didn't bug her about the Mada until next summer. I couldn't pass that up. So, now I am up a 2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM and a Mossberg 500 8+1.

Anyhow, I kept my eye on the Armada market and found a deal the other day we couldn't pass up. I am now the happy owner of a charcoal 2006 LE 4x4. I love this thing! I'm now researching whether to get the Superchips programmer or the Bully Dog. I'm leaning towards the BD. Any input either way would be appreciated.

Now that I actually have the car I look forward to learning lots. I'm a big reader and not so much on talking, so I'll mostly remain in the background.

#11 ·
Welcome to the Club and your addition of three new "toys" :)

#13 ·
Welcome to da Club and your purchase of a bike, a new gun, and 3+ tons of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find this funny that you just picked up a Mossberg 500 because I have been eyeing the Just in Case Mossberg for a couple months now. I love the reliability of Mossberg pump action shotguns for they have never failed me in action. Nothing like unloading triple odd buck a couple racks and quick loading a slug to finish the job!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man im going to go hold my rifle real quick!!!!! Ha ha ha! Congrats again and welcome!:D

#14 ·
Thanks! I like the idea of that Moss JIC, but I don't really go for the pistol grip on the shotgun - mostly for the slide control. My hands are apparently not made to operate the Remington style release that is on the fore of the trigger guard, that's why I like the Mossy's rear-mounted release. Putting the pistol grip on blocks the release from the trigger finger and makes you roll your thumb around to engage it. I mostly got this guy to compete in the local 3-gun matches. Oh, since you twisted my arm... I'll give a pic of my setup.

That's the Moss 500, a GLOCK 35 with mag well bevel and grip tape and the SBR is pretty custom with a 10.5" bbl.

To keep this semi-relevant to CA, here is the new Armada.

I found a distributor for Bully Dog yesterday, so I installed the Triple Dog at lunch yesterday. Running 87 +2 tune currently.

#16 ·
Thanks, FAV. Coming up in a few weeks will be my 4th 3-gun. The first one I didn't finish because I had a 1 day old baby and needed to get back to the hospital. My second one I'm pretty sure I finished near dead last, but had loads of fun. I've been practicing a bit more and last one I think I finished 8th in my class (Tactical - Rifle Optic) and placed 23rd of 80 overall. I'm not great, but I have a blast.

I had a few minutes today, so I did the free airbox mod on the Mada. It really sings under load now! Thanks to those who have done write-ups. I took the whole box out and popped the snorkel out after marking it and cut it in just a few minutes and reassembled. Next mod will have to be painting the cowl behind the hood. That grey plastic is an eyesore. I think I remember somewhere there being a walk through on taking that apart, so I'll have to find that again.

I am also surprisingly impressed with the driving coach on the BD. I thought it would just be super annoying and a constant reminder of how thirsty the Armadas are, but so far it has really helped me keep tabs on the weight of my foot. Not sure how accurate the MPG readout is on it, but it said I was getting about 18 mpg on the freeway @ 65 MPH. I can live with that.

#17 ·
Don't forget to paint the wipers when you do the cowl:

BTW, Welcome to the Club!!

#18 ·
Steve, I had to reply to another firearms enthusiast and congratulations on your recent purchases. I've leaned towards the Mossbergs myself as the wife is a lefty and the safety on the Mossy is much easier to engage for her than the Remington's. I'm assuming that you reload 5.56 and .40 S&W? What setup do you use? I'm a fan of the .40 myself and have an XD which I really enjoy. Nice SBR as well (is it H&K?) though I just can't swallow the $200 "tax" for permission and with moving every 2-3 years, I'd rather not go through the hastle that all that entails. I'm more an AK guy myself:

Anyway, have a great one and welcome from one newbie to another!

-Tyler

#19 ·
Welcome to the forum! Nice ride...

I gotta tell you, I love guns (ex-military), just picked up my new AR yesterday and I have several other guns/rifles....Im over on Calguns often, always finding good deals there on guns here in Cali

Anyways...Welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.