Considering an Armada or Qx - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By trickyrabbit
  • 1 Post By crazy4trains
  • 2 Post By trickyrabbit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Considering an Armada or Qx

Greetings all. I am currently the owner of a 2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4. My wife and I have 4 children. We are thinking about selling our house, getting an travel trailer (camper) and living out of it for a few years traveling around the country. We need something that can tow more than the 6200 lbs our Sequoia can handle. I am seriously considering an Armada or QX56. I do all our automotive work myself.
marctronixx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 07:46 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

welcome.

either car will be a good choice. qx is more classy/high end flagship with an extra bell or whistle or thrice over the armada, but both tow the same capacity, so if you don't want the fancy interior, opt for an armada.

there's a huge towing section on this forum. lots of members tow boats and cars all the time with no issues.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:33 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

You may quickly determine that you need a more heavy duty suspension/brake system to tow a sizeable trailer. Really depends on what type of roads you decide to transit. A coworker said his Armada did fine on the major highways but on the twisties in the backroads of West Virginia it beat him up badly. A 2500 series pickup truck solved that problem.

Do your research first so you understand capabilities and limitations.
marctronixx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
I bought it. It's a 2005 Infiniti QX56 with almost 180,000 miles. I got it for $2750 after all the fees and whatnot. It will take a week or two to get the title from the auction. In the interim I'll be researching all the quirks, maintenance, weaknesses, mods, and needed repairs. I'm pretty sure I'll need to do the front brake solenoid solder on the valvebody. The navigation module behind the display screen. The handle to pull the lift gate down with. It needs a spare tire. I've got at least $1000 before I get to trade-in value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
You may quickly determine that you need a more heavy duty suspension/brake system to tow a sizeable trailer. Really depends on what type of roads you decide to transit. A coworker said his Armada did fine on the major highways but on the twisties in the backroads of West Virginia it beat him up badly. A 2500 series pickup truck solved that problem.

Do your research first so you understand capabilities and limitations.
I have spent the last few years paying off debt and very little inclination to go back for a 3/4 ton truck plus camper, though they are lovely. A retired couple I go to church with just bough a new 2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax and new Airstream camper. Probably spent close to (over) $200,000 for the combo. I'm just a nurse with a stay-at-home-mom wife. We have simple tastes. As I said, we have 4 kids. They are 13 and under and I think we can deal with a 5500 pound dry weight camper pushing 7000 pounds loaded. I don't expect to be towing 70mph up the Rockies. I'm generally an easy driver too.

Last edited by trickyrabbit; 08-30-2018 at 10:41 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:23 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Be ready to replace the rear camber bolts if it hasn't already been done.

I just had to do mine, about $550ish in parts, I did all the labor.

Heres my post about it. I still love mine tho!

https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/9-...-bolt-fun.html

08 Armada 4x4 SE K11 Smoke Grey

Bully Dog GT w/ 2* Timing Mod, Airbox Mod, Belltech Sway Bar w/ Poly Bushings Front + Rear,
Running Board Delete, Tinted Headlights + Taillights, Alpine Type S 10" Sub + Alpine MRV Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode