(Four) Wheelin' and Dealin' Roadtrip July 2012 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

(Four) Wheelin' and Dealin' Roadtrip July 2012

We just returned from our summer roadtrip.

We loaded up the Armada for a multi hour roadtrip from San Francisco to Palm Desert. The plan was to get some rest and relaxation (we have three kids) and also some desert exploration. I think we accomplished our goals.

We departed our City at 8am. First stop was on "The California Five" somewhere in the middle of... California. Perfect time for a lunch break. Nothing like some T&A on the highway.

Then back on the highway. We made it to the Westin Resort in Palm Desert at around 7pm

Miguel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120703_133218.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	11155   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120703_133630.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	11156   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6564.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	11157  

March 2011 Armada of the Month
August 2012 Armada of the Month

"Work it like a rock star"Calspeed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

First we did some family things. A little bit of swimming and a got myself some golf tutoring from the Pro-Shop. Of course, we enjoyed the 4th of July festivities as well as the Palm Springs Thursday Evening Street Faire.

But the best was to come soon...

Miguel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120707_103446.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	11158   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6610.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	11159   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6634.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	11160  

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
Looks like you guys had a great time...so close to my neck of the woods...sorta

Angel Vivas, III
2006 Nissan Armada SE 4x2 Silver Lightning

UPRev Tuned (Cajun Style)
Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust
Cajun Catless B-Pipes
Volant Cold Air Intake
CSF 3328 Racing All-Aluminum Radiator
2" Front Leveling Kit (To Even Her Out)
Bilstein HD Front Struts
Interior LED Kit
6000 HID Kit
Nissan Black Grill Guard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Destination for the afternoon was Joshua Tree National Park in the Mojave and Colorado Desert. The temperature was 105 degrees. When we checked into the ranger station I asked about the condition of the Pinkham Canon Trail. This trail is a 21.5 mile loop through the desert. Lots of loose and deep washes and slightly technical sections of large rocks and tight turns.

But going in somewhat blindly, the rangers gave me a funny look when I ask about the trail. It must have been the way I dressed. And I dont blame them. The desert is no place to mess around. And these trails can be unforgiving.

"What are you driving?"
"A Nissan Armada"
"Is that high clearance? You think that will make it?"
"It better"

I was given the scare talk about broken axels, tire punctures and "death". I assured them that I did have some experience offroad. As well, have supplies and twenty years of medic skills. I am well aware of heat related emergencies.

Then suddenly my two girls dressed in pink come bouncing out of the animal display area. "Daddy daddy.... look at the owl"

I got another stern look from the rangers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6648.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	11161   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6691.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	11162   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6676.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	11163  

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Was it difficult? Lets just say that nothing is difficult with the proper training/experience and equipment.

I had previous experience. And the Armada was okay for this trail. But it was a bit long for some of the tight sections. Actually I had to build some steps to get out of some sections to avoid bottoming out. 4x4 is necessary for the Armada. Probably not necessary in a Jeep. I was in High 4x4 in the tech sessions and it was still kinda crazy. But this is because of the length of the Armada.

Otherwise, the trail is pretty harsh and bumpy. Lots of rocks. Sharp rocks. Give yourself alot of time. I did it in 4 hours. I wasn't pushing it because I didnt want to hurt the tires or jostle my passengers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120707_182911.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	11164   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120707_183426.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	11165  

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Overall, the Armada did great. I got a decent 15+mpg. It was comfortable and it looks good. The A/C interior fan switch is faulty. Stuck on high. Will be working on that soon.

Otherwise, the truck was great.

Miguel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6704.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	11166   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6711.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	11167  

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:11 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)

looks like a fun trip...but i need to fix your golf grip..hahahaha...wrap your top thumb around the club. you will see a 'v' between your thumb and index finger. and dont press that thumb down, the pressure should be like 3 on a scale of 10. your back looks rounded also, push your butt back and stomach forward this will give you an arch. youtube sam snead...his swing is pretty classic.

'04 LE
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Awesome pics Miguel!

Anyone else notice that his truck looked unnaturally clean in all of the pictures? Prolly carried and extra 20 gallons of water n car wash for the kids to use before each picture set! jk looks like every one had a great time! You think if your truck had a bit more clearance it might have made it a bit easier?

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Nice shots. Great lookin' Family!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Looks like you guys had a blast!

-Eli
04 Armada 20s with 35's Nitto RidgeGrapplers, Pinch Weld Mod, Titan 08+ 4x4 coils, Bilstein 5100s (middle setting), Rancho quicklift rear w/Raybestos 589-1150 coils, 22" Magnaflow exhaust, limo tint, Debadged, Billet grille, bull bar, rear brush guard, Armaden LED package, Torque Pro Vehicle monitoring via Nexus 7 indash tablet (CyanogenMod) ELM327 (OBDII-bluetooth), Viper Alarm, Die Hard Batt, Royal Purple Synthetics...lotsa plastidip
April 2012 Ride of the Month...
Thanks guys

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode