User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Window Defroster

Hey guys, long time no see. Well now that it started snowing here in Germany, wondering if there's a way to test the defrosters on the 3 rear window's dont know what there called but there the little heat strips that run a long the windows. And also the side mirrors too if possible. Thanx.

2005 LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:55 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickoli415
a way to test the defrosters on the 3 rear window's dont know what there called but there the little heat strips that run a long the windows
they are resistance elements - same principle as stove elements. If they have failed, most likely cause is a break in the lines on window. A starting test is to disconnect at the window, then test resistance across the window. If zero resistance then you have an open. Auto supply stores sell a repair kit, but it is only useful if you can find the exact location of open. This is hard to describe, hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickoli415
also the side mirrors too if possible
I'm not certain on these, but assume they are same type of resistance elements. If so, same test can be done, but you'll have to pull door apart to get to connector.

- a "retired CA member"
had a 2007 LE 4x4, BigTow, Nav, DVD. Mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rear exit,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(forced when crappy Contis died early), added
under transfer case & fuel tank
- Armada replaced May09 with 2004 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 (a lighter more nimble rig without the terrible Nissan rattles, not as big but carries and tows enough for me)

went to Discount Tire for Goodyear SAs on my 2000 Tundra, again for SAs on my 2007 Mada, and hope to again soon for SAs when the 'normal' street tires are done on my 2004 4Runner
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:58 PM
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

The strips on the rear side windows are the radio antennas, not defrosters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:05 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr38
The strips on the rear side windows are the radio antennas, not defrosters.
yes, opps my bad - the OP did write "3 rear windows", I even quoted that. So to be clear for OP - my post above only applies to the actual rear window. Side windows do not have resistance defrosters.

- a "retired CA member"
had a 2007 LE 4x4, BigTow, Nav, DVD. Mods:
rear exit,
(forced when crappy Contis died early), added
under transfer case & fuel tank
- Armada replaced May09 with 2004 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 (a lighter more nimble rig without the terrible Nissan rattles, not as big but carries and tows enough for me)

went to Discount Tire for Goodyear SAs on my 2000 Tundra, again for SAs on my 2007 Mada, and hope to again soon for SAs when the 'normal' street tires are done on my 2004 4Runner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would of never guessed the side ones were antenna's!!!! I actually tried to look for the antenna on the mada with no luck, but now i know. Thanks for the quick response!!!

2005 LE
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

There isn't any need to defrost the trunk windows.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode