User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Thumbs up Adjusting Parking Brake

My parking brake in the Armada never really worked - basically I would park on my slight incline in the driveway, apply the parking brake, but the truck would still roll back which defeats the whole purpose of a parking brake and it caused a "thump" when shifting from Park to Reverse.

I didn't find anything here on the adjustment but did find several threads at Titan Talk. The service manual states a fairly complicated procedure that includes adjusting the parking shoes in the "hat" of the rear discs (basically drums) along with adjusting the 10 mm bolt on the parking cable itself where it attaches to the pedal. Most of the posters on TT just adjusted the nut inside the cabin so I figured I would give it a shot.

The hardest part was finding where it was (I had to look at a service manual picture first) but once I found it (it was right in front of me ) , it was just a matter of having a deep 10 mm socket and an extension for your ratchet.

I released the parking brake, tightened the adjustment nut, then tested again (by moving the truck and applying the parking brake before I released the brake). A few turns later and my truck actually stayed put with the parking brake on!!!! This was really an issue since my friend moved to a house that is on a hill the slope of Mt. Everest and I would practically push the parking brake through the firewall and it still would not do anything to hold the truck back.

If you are not aware, parking brakes are meant to be used even if you have an automatic. The purpose is to prevent the 5600 lbs. truck from leaning on a small gear in the transmission.

If anyone is interested, I can post a pic from the service manual for where to find the adjustment nut but you basically follow the cable to where it is attached to the parking peddle and it is right there up a little behind the dash (hence the extension).

I welcome any input to my post (scr38 may have info to add) but I would highly recommend doing this if your truck rolls back / forward even after the parking brake is applied.

Giggity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes please post that pic thank you spta
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Let me see if I can find it online - I have it on my home computer and I am at work now.

Giggity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Here you go:

You can see it with the pedal not engaged. Just turn clockwise to tighten the linkage. Mine had blue paint on it which gives me the impression they did some adjustment at the factory.

Giggity
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kailo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Here you go:

You can see it with the pedal not engaged. Just turn clockwise to tighten the linkage. Mine had blue paint on it which gives me the impression they did some adjustment at the factory.
Thanks for info and diagram....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Trevor
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Not that I need it right now, but SUWeeeeeet! Great post spta97!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 03:00 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Vote for a sticky here!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Garage
Thanks for the post! I have been wondering on how to do this becausei have the exact problem as you did.

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
1976 Apache Trailer Hard-side Pop Up
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for that. I'll be doing mine this weekend. I nearly failed the TN inspection because the parking brake wouldn't hold the Armada in place at idle. For whatever reason, the inspector let me slide, but it needs to be done.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

This will take you all of 5 minutes to do. I did mine when I got home from work the other day in the freezing cold in the dark. Piece of cake!

It feels like I have a new truck now, the parking brake thing really bothered me.

Giggity