Diff servicing front and rear (4x4) - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Diff servicing front and rear (4x4)

Today I decided to go ahead and service my front and rear diffs. I just hit 60k and did just about everything else but the diffs. So today was a good day to get-r-done!

You will need:
#10 hex key (allen key) for the rear diff
3/8's drive extension for the front diff
1 gallon of gear oil (I used what the book calls...I went with Valvoline 80W-90)
Optional (a pump to pump the gear oil into the diffs...this make life much easier and less messy too)
some rags
drain pan

Steps:

Rear Diff: The Rear has enough room to do the service with out jacking up the SUV.

1: I jacked up the rear of the SUV to make sure I did not have limited slip...which my SUV dose not. I let it back down on it's wheels after I made sure I didn't have limited slip. I know some cars and trucks require an additive if they have limited slip.

2: Crack open the rear fill plug with a #10 (metric allen key) and remove to allow the draining process to go quickly.

3: Place drain pan under diff and remove drain plug. Make sure to get the crush washer...it may stick to the case or stay on the plug...or fall into the drain pan. Clean the drain plug of any sluge and goo and replace the crush washer or use the old one if it is in good shape. Wait till it's done draining and replace the drain plug.

4: Next it's time for the gear oil. I bought a pump at autozone and it was like $5.

5: Pump till it comes out the fill hole up top. Mine took about 2 quarts. Put the fill plug back on and don't over tighten. Check both plugs before you leave the rear and start the front. Wipe any oil that runs down the diff so dirt and dust will not stick to it. I like a clean SUV!

Now the Front Diff:

You may need to jack up the SUV to get under it and have room to work:

1: Remove skid plate that gives you access to the front diff.

2: Locate the drain and fill plugs. Place a drain pan below and crack open the fill plug with a 3/8's extension on a ratchet.

3: Remove the drain plug and clean it from all the goo.

4: Wait for it to drain and replace the plug.

5: Pump the diff full till it comes out the fill hole. Replace the fill plug. Clean the diff with a rag ( I used a bit of brake cleaner to clean it up nice) and wipe it clean. Check the plugs and make sure they are tight BUT DON'T OVER TIGHTEN. Mine took a shade less than 2 quarts. Still had some left in the 1 gallon jug of gear oil.

6: Replace skid plate....and go have a beer and enjoy a job well done!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 Nissan Armada LE 4x4 Navi (wife's mall crawler...better known as = Silver Bullet) OEM SiriusXM Sat Radio install, M&D DVD install, HID conversion, Frozen Rotors upgrade with wildwood areo6 calipers (front) and Bilsteins HD's, Goodridge SS brake lines, JBA LT headers with Cajun B-pipes and UpRev and AirRaid MXP Intake System, .....Level 10 Converter and VB upgrade next!!!

Last edited by bsljacques; 01-25-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thanks for posting such clear pictures...I have decided I am going to start doing this maintenance myself every 15K due to occasional towing. What do most of you use for the heavier towing oil?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Excellent post! Great pics and instructions!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Thanks BlakSpyda! And thanks for the beer.....Cheers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 Nissan Armada LE 4x4 Navi (wife's mall crawler...better known as = Silver Bullet) OEM SiriusXM Sat Radio install, M&D DVD install, HID conversion, Frozen Rotors upgrade with wildwood areo6 calipers (front) and Bilsteins HD's, Goodridge SS brake lines, JBA LT headers with Cajun B-pipes and UpRev and AirRaid MXP Intake System, .....Level 10 Converter and VB upgrade next!!!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

I plan to make a how to for the transfer case this next weekend...since it's the only thing left to complete my 60k service...so stay tuned!

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47d99 View Post
thanks for posting such clear pictures...I have decided I am going to start doing this maintenance myself every 15K due to occasional towing. What do most of you use for the heavier towing oil?
I don't tow, but the popular vote goes towards a synthetic 75W 140 for the rear diff and 75W 90 for the front. I'm in/out of NYC 3-4 days a week and I'm usually dealing with stop n go traffic 90% of the time. I switched to Royal Purple since it was readily available and because I've used their products before.

Another brand to look into would be Amsoil, another favorite on here.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to rockendoublez
Awesome write up! I believe I speak for the masses when I say we appreciate the time and effort you've made to provide this information to our club!

Rockendoublez - Mike
08 Black SE, Kenwood Audio System:
KOSV1000 (carportal)/ KOSL702 (touchscreen) / KNAG510 (Navi) /KCABT200 (BlueTooth), AutoPage GPS / Remote Start, JL Audio Amps/Components/Subs, Eiger Vision HD 10.7" flipdown monitor, E&G Classics Custom Grille, 7" passenger visor monitor, FRONT and Rear night vision cameras

-
09 Honda Fit Sport w/Navi
06 Acura TL
95 Acura Integra RIP
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Thanks rockendoublez! Glad to be part of this club! This is such a great site!

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:56 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going to do this soon. Here is a random question as I do not usually do my own maintenance...where can you get rid of the oil? Will Autozone or similar stores help you with the disposal?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:56 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47d99 View Post
I am going to do this soon. Here is a random question as I do not usually do my own maintenance...where can you get rid of the oil? Will Autozone or similar stores help you with the disposal?
Type in what you are trying to dispose of and your zip code. You will find all of the places in your area to dispose of hazardous watse.

http://earth911.com/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode