How To: Air Conditioning (A/C) Stink Abatement - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Thumbs up How To: Air Conditioning (A/C) Stink Abatement

I posted a thread last year regarding the procedure for cleaning out the mold / mildew smell out of my A/C but actually got around to doing it yesterday. In the event that you have that musty smell I would give this a shot (for reference, mine is a 2007 LE 4x4):

1) Open up the glove box and take out the in-cabin micro filters (search if you don't know how as there are many threads on this).

2) Start the engine and turn the A/C to 70 degrees on FRESH AIR mode.

3) Open up all the vents including the ones in the back (I put the back control on "4" so they were all blowing at full strength).

4) Get some Lysol spray that says it kills mold and mildew (make sure you like the smell of the flavor first )

5) Get a old towel and wrap it around the fresh air intake on the cowl (located at the base of the passenger side windsheild) to protect paint / windshield from overspray.

6) Spray the Lysol into the cowl.

7) Go to the inside and smell the vents - if you are happy with the outcome you can switch the engine off and re-install your micro filter. Otherwise repeat step 6.

I ended up using about 1/3 of the can for good measure of the "Professional Strength Fresh Linen Scent" which doesn't smell all that great but it what was in the house and the scent dissipated rather quickly over the course of the day.

I would also let it sit for a while to allow the Lysol to kill the mold / mildew on the evaporator coils - which apparently is where the smell comes from.

There are other products out there that are made for this purpose, but for a quick and cheap fix I'm very happy. If you have stinky A/C, spend $3 and give this a shot!

I will post a follow up in a week or two to see if the stink has subsided - it has been VERY humid in NY lately.

Happy Spraying!

Giggity

Last edited by spta97; 08-05-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Humid down here as well, and (PU) it does stink!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

there are products designed to clean out and remove mold from the evaporator box. one is from Wurth. It's a foam that you spray into the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:33 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thx for the advice

'07 Smoke Mada: 20" OEM 08' Armada Rims, Nitto Trails 305/55R20, 6" ProComp Lift, Radflo coilvers, PRG UCAs, Firestone AirBag Spring Helpers, 2* Timing Advance, Airaid TBS, Borla Dual Exhaust, Volant CAI, Bully Dog, two Tech12volt underseat box w/ Alpine SWR-T10, Stinger 925 in rear & Alpine PDX 1.1000, ArmaDen 6000k low's
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazM3 View Post
there are products designed to clean out and remove mold from the evaporator box. one is from Wurth. It's a foam that you spray into the box.
Agreed. However I had very good results with Lysol so if you want to try this in a pinch it is a good option. When I got home from the city yesterday (after my Armada was baking in the heat and humidity) I turned on my A/C and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of stink as I had grown very accustomed to it. The fragrance of the Lysol had dissapaited as well and all that was left was fresh smelling air.

Seems like the Lysol works pretty good!

Giggity
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

spta97,
the service rep at nissan said to do the same thing, but to use the recycled air function and spray in the intake vent (by foot area) for 30 seconds. im sure it does the same thing. i have not done this yet, though it does smell. i plan on replacing the in cabin filter first. currently im at 10K miles. so just waiting a little bit.

wonder what the difference is between spraying the 2 areas. fresh air, or recycled.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jonah View Post
spta97,
the service rep at nissan said to do the same thing, but to use the recycled air function and spray in the intake vent (by foot area) for 30 seconds. im sure it does the same thing. i have not done this yet, though it does smell. i plan on replacing the in cabin filter first. currently im at 10K miles. so just waiting a little bit.

wonder what the difference is between spraying the 2 areas. fresh air, or recycled.

I would imagine it would have a similar effect as both should be pulling the air across the coils. With my method though you don't have overspray in your interior But with the fresh air method you are following the standard path so I would try that first. This method I got from a BMW tech and it seems to have worked great so far.

I would check your microfilters as mine are a mess at 18k (2.5 years). Anyone know what the cheapest place to buy them is?

Giggity
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Hey guys. I did this procedure again and this time actually replaced my in-cabin filters (with the Fram ones ~ $20 on Amazon) in an effort to increase my airflow...and boy did they need replacing! It worked well for the front vents but I noted that the rear vents were not getting the fresh smell after I sprayed the cowl with lysol.

Does anyone know if there is a separate intake for the rear ac?

Thanks..

Giggity
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:52 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)

the rear AC gets the air from inside the cabin. back in the rear passenger side i think is where the air get sucked in...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
spta97- thanks for this great DIY. After returning home from a shortened trip last night, got right to it with some citrus Lysol. It definitely did the job and smells even better in "fresh" air mode.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode