How to repair a busted power window - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
How to repair a busted power window

The window motor on my wife's truck broke this weekend ended up driving home 9 hours from Leech lake with clear vinyl taped over the fully open window. Not a happy time. Today I go what I thought was the right part and set out to fix it. Turns out that I got the wrong part so I didn't get it fully fixed and I'll have to return the part and try again tomorrow, but I took pictures and should be able to describe the process for anyone else who might need to take on this project. BTW, a 2004 LE has a 6 wire connection to the lift motor. If the parts store gives you one with only two wires you should reconsider before you leave the store.

First, you will need to remove the plastic interior from the door. There are four screws and about a dozen plastic pop fittings that hold it on. First you need to remove the four screws. With a small screw driver carefully remove the grey trim on the handle and remove the two screws under it. Screws are large phillips or 10mm socket. If you want to use the 10mm socket you'll need an extension to reach. Next, remove the little screw cover behind the door open handle with a small screw driver. Again, the screw is large phillips/10mm socket. Finally, pull off the arm rest and remove the screw behind it. The picture below has red circles around the locations of the screws.

Once the screws are out, remove the window and lock switches. These should pry out with a small screw driver inserted carefully at the back of the switch plate. Disconnect the wire harnesses carefully, the mirror control on the driver's door is especially fragile.

From the bottom edge of the door start pulling the plastic snap fittings out. Once they're all pulled out lift the door over the rim at the window edge. When the door is loose reach under and disconnect the cables for door latch, and lock. Then disconnect the harness for the seat memory buttons and the puddle lamp.

Pull back the plastic vapor barrier from the black sticky glue and lift the glass up and out of the way. I used a clamp to hold it up and out of the way (see picture below). Service manual says to remove speaker, I think this is unnecessary.

Now there are 5 bolts that need to be removed an 2 that need to be loosened. The two at the bottom should be removed, the two at the top should be loosened, there are three that hold the lift motor on that need to be removed. Bolt locations are circled below:

It's so easy a little girl can do it:

Here's a detail of the three bolts that hold the lift motor on:

Disconnect the wire harness from the window motor, this is located right behind where the door latch and lock cables come out. Once all the bolts are removed the regulator/lift motor assembly can be extracted through the access hole at the bottom of the door. Removed assembly can be seen in the picture below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reassembly is the reverse order of the directions above. Take care when putting the regulator/lift motor assembly motor through the access hole it will take patience to get eveyrthing in and lined up right. It's greasy, deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:06 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Nice post. I just hope I don't need to use it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 06:03 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My QX56 has a front passenger window that is extremely slow to go up. Goes down just fine, but barely makes it up. This past weekend in the mountains in 27d temps, we had to help it close. I could just see us driving 6 hours home with the window down and that nice warm air rushing in!

I know Toyota had a window switch recall. Any idea if this could possibly be a switch issue related to this recall? Or do I just need to take it in and get the whole thing greased up? I'm sure as slow as it's closing, it has to be burning up the motor.

JB
Volant CAI, Magnaflow 22", Superchips Cortex (currently light tow mode), Interior LED's, Weathertechs, exterior headlight LED's
Next Mods: Hawk LTS, R1 Concepts, Goodridge SS lines

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode