installing a trailer brake controller - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
installing a trailer brake controller

How hard would this be to do myself rather than pay a shop to do it (They want $30 plus the cost of the part. This is so my trailer brakes will operate while being towed from my Armada? I am learning as I go anyone knows I would appreciate your experience Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
How hard would this be to do myself rather than pay a shop to do it (They want $30 plus the cost of the part. This is so my trailer brakes will operate while being towed from my Armada? I am learning as I go anyone knows I would appreciate your experience Thanks
It is simple to do, there are a bunch of threads on this forum about how to do it. However, for $30, I'd likely let somebody else do it for me......not worth spending 20 minutes or so on my back under the dash!!! Yeah, I know, I'm getting old!!

What kind of controoller are you getting? I use the Prodigy controller by Tekonsha, and I highly recommend it.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:59 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
It is simple to do, there are a bunch of threads on this forum about how to do it. However, for $30, I'd likely let somebody else do it for me......not worth spending 20 minutes or so on my back under the dash!!! Yeah, I know, I'm getting old!!

What kind of controoller are you getting? I use the Prodigy controller by Tekonsha, and I highly recommend it.

Keith
What model Prodigy are you using? We are shopping for our first tt this weekend. I have read here, and some other forums that Prodigy is the gold standard for 1/2 towables. I'm just not sure which one. I would like the P3, but do I really need it. Are the others just as good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts16850 View Post
What model Prodigy are you using? We are shopping for our first tt this weekend. I have read here, and some other forums that Prodigy is the gold standard for 1/2 towables. I'm just not sure which one. I would like the P3, but do I really need it. Are the others just as good?
I've had my Prodigy for about 10 years now, wasn't even aware they had different models!! I am 100% satisfied with it, but I'm not sure how my version relates to the current multiple models.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Garage
I am going to get the prodigy this weekend there are 3 models at 3 different prices I am going with the middle one at about $150 then the installation will put me up to $180 +/- few dollars! I still can't take my trailer out though I still need new rotors and new shocks on the beast it's money to buy the parts and pure time for my husband to install we don't have enough time! Busy busy busy!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Get the Prodigy P2 with the Nissan Harness and it takes less than 3-mins to install yourself. The P3 is overkill, it has Hydraulic over Electric capability that is coming on some of the newer large boat trailers. Unless you're planning on towing a new 25' boat too I wouldn't waste the money. RVWholesalers.com sells these controllers cheap.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Get the Prodigy P2 with the Nissan Harness and it takes less than 3-mins to install yourself. The P3 is overkill, it has Hydraulic over Electric capability that is coming on some of the newer large boat trailers. Unless you're planning on towing a new 25' boat too I wouldn't waste the money. RVWholesalers.com sells these controllers cheap.
Thanks, was totally at a loss. Now just on the hunt for an equalizer hitch. There are 3 on Craigslist in my area that are like yours ( no chains ). What should I look for in wear & tear? They are ranging from $200-325.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Is the factory brake control harness on both big tow, and non big tow? I don't have the towing package.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Check the L-brackets and arms for exceessive wear. I'm already having to replace components on mine. Next time around I might look at a ProRide. Factory Harness seems to be hit or miss on the non big tows.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

oh you.... I blame you for my first purchase on my new Q. HaHa

I was browsing and came across this post. Decided to bite the bullet on a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and harness. 135.92 shipped UPS to the house. Now to find a nice place to mount this thing once it comes. Going to be using it in two weeks to reinstall an above ground pool that was taken down last year. Need to haul some lime dust.

www.americanrvcompany.com has the P3 for 112 plus shipping by the way. Best controller you can get imho.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode