User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)

How wrap 3M DI-NOC

this is my attempt at a how to wrap/skin or whatever you like to call it. this is a pretty easy but time consuming process. this is my process (beginner) so if you have more experience and know of better a better way by all mean contribute. since this is demo on a somewhat easy piece the process is still the same of any piece. and some of the steps might be to trivial for the pros on here but i dont want to assume everyone is handy. Here is a list of all the product i used..
(Disclaimer: I am writing to show you how i did it. I am in no way responsible for your action or what you do or happen to your car. )

-3M DI-NOC Carbon fiber (there are other carbon fiber but they are printed). The carbon fiber I use is the glossy one. There is a matte one also.

-3M 94 Primer glue

-Paint brush any size depends on project and surface

-Hair Dryer - low setting is plenty heat. Find a place to rest the hair dryer so you can both hands

-Exacto knives, you can use scissor to cut but i found the exacto knives to be easier to trim the excess and cut in the small area

I used a removal tool as to not to damage the sounding area. you can use a screw driver with electrical tape but i would be careful still. The piece I did is the trim piece on the door handle.

Before:

Here is what the piece looks like after it was removed.

what the back of the piece looks like

side view

A sample of what the glue looks like when apply

here is what it looks like after it dries. go over the dry area again with at least 2-3 coats of glue. my brother did 1 coat and it started to peel when it gotten hot. my 3 coat withstand the heat today. do worry about the glue touching you. its just tacky your fingers will not stick to the parts. make sure to put glue on every surface even the back not the whole back area but the side wall, the inside side wall. basically you will need to pull the wrap back and tuck it back and make it stay. as you can tell this is important

after coating the piece the glue is probably dry by now but dont worry. now its time to peel the back of the 3M..here is what it looks like

forming time...as you can see from the picture the 3M is falling and very flexible when it is heated up that way you can pull and stretch just becareful not to man handle the pull

here is an example of "mess" up crease..no worry heat it up and pull open

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 LE

Last edited by ntrddragn; 08-18-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

part 2

fixed

here is what it looks like on the back when im done stretching and pulling and tucking it. what i used to tuck it is the round end of the paint brush and my finger to push and jam it.

semi done vs original piece

done and reinstall.

this part is to demo forming the 3M..this is a sample piece.
i place the 3M piece on top of this nut and heat it up as soon as it got soft i just push my finger thru it. as you can see it starts to stretch and form. as it cools down it takes the form. this is helpful for when you need to wrap pieces with holes in the middle. you will need to form and stretch the holes first before you cut. once cut it hard to stretch unless its really a big hole or opening

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 LE
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

DAMN that looks awesome

-Eli
04 Armada 20s with 35's Nitto RidgeGrapplers, Pinch Weld Mod, Titan 08+ 4x4 coils, Bilstein 5100s (middle setting), Rancho quicklift rear w/Raybestos 589-1150 coils, 22" Magnaflow exhaust, limo tint, Debadged, Billet grille, bull bar, rear brush guard, Armaden LED package, Torque Pro Vehicle monitoring via Nexus 7 indash tablet (CyanogenMod) ELM327 (OBDII-bluetooth), Viper Alarm, Die Hard Batt, Royal Purple Synthetics...lotsa plastidip
April 2012 Ride of the Month...
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
wow nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

I'm quite surprised at how it turned out the quality of the di-noc

Sent from somewhere...

'04 LE
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 01:05 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

excellent write up and pictures Richard!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode