How to change brake light bulbs - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How to change brake light bulbs

I'm not sure if anyone has ran into this situation yet, but one of my brake lights bulbs went out for the first time the other day and I needed to replace it. Here are the steps I used to do it....pretty simple operation:

1) Open up the rear lift gate

2) You should see two bolts that were obscured from view when the lift gate was closed that hold the light housing in place.

3) Remove the two bolts (I think they're 10mm)

4) At this point it looks as if the light housing should practically fall out of its position.....but it doesn't. It doesn't come out because there are two grommets that are still holding the housing in place. The grommets are located on the back of the light housing (you can't see them) in the upper left and lower left corners. In order to get the housing off of the grommets simply pull STRAIGHT back on the housing. It will we require a bit of force to pop the housing off the grommets. To be honest, at this point I was scared I might break the housing. I was scared because I was pulling and pulling with what I considered more than enough force to free the housing, but the darn thing still wouldn't come off. By now the thought of shatterring the housing was REALLY scaring me and I said to myself "this do-it-yourself-repair is gonna end up costing me waaay more than what the 3 dollar bulb cost!" I said "screw it, I need the light fixed one way or another" and with one last tug, the housing finally came off unharmed!! Disaster averted......WHEW!! I decided to replace the good brake light bulb in the other housing and this time because I knew how much force was required, it only took me two good pulls to get it off. Like I said earlier pulling the housing straight back away from the truck is the key. If you pull away at an angle I think you run the risk of breaking one of the grommets. ONE FINAL TIME: Straight back and a little tender lovin' muscle is all it takes

5) At this point the light housing should be off the truck. Turn the housing around to reveal the bulb harness. Turn the bulb harness about 1/4 counter clockwise turn to expose the bulb from the housing. Pull the bulb from the harness and replace with the new one.

6) FINISHED. Just do the steps in reverse to put the housing back on the truck.

I don't know how to add an attachment but here is the link to show an "exploded" view of the light housing and it removal:
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/att...5&d=1170731286

Last edited by dboogie; 03-14-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great post dboogie, but if you add the chart provided by scr38 and Docharley I think, then the post will be complete.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode