LED Light Bar installation Photos in bumper - wiring questions/suggestions - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Question LED Light Bar installation Photos in bumper - wiring questions/suggestions

(I saw a lot of reads on this, but no reply, so I'm adding this note: I've got a question / suggestion requests on how to best wire this up. See below)

I'm tired of surprises from the wildlife around here, so I decided to add lighting. I've now got a 23" LED light bar that I just mounted in the bumper lower air intake of our 15 mada.

So nice of Nissan to have put 3 pin clips there (one centered, other 2 19 inches apart) which made mounting of this bar (which has 2 adjustable sliding mounts) a cinch after removing the front grille (just clips).

My wiring plan is as follows:

1. Hot from battery to Relay #1 (with a 30A fuse between them) so the bar has it's own power and isn't sharing
2. Relay #1 controlled by tapping into the power going to one of the brights bulb
3. Relay 1 sends power to Relay #2 (maybe with another 30A fuse - necessary? recommended?)
4. Relay #2 controlled by in cabin switch (which will be connected to 12v in cabin)
5. Relay #2 sends power to the bar

This way the LED bar cannot be on unless the brights are on AND the in cabin separate switch is on. Turning off the brights will automatically turn off the LED bar which makes turning it off quick and safe when necessary - no fiddling for a switch. When on road, the in cabin switch can remain off for normal use of the brights.

Questions:

1) I don't mind having 2 relays, but am all ears if there's a better way to wire this up. My only requirements are a) safety and b) having the bar turn on and off with the brights with an override off switch

2) I'll likely tap into the bright's power line using a T splicer since there's just not any excess wiring (and it's easy). Does anyone know what gauge wire feeds the high beam bulb?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Bar In Bumper.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	37833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Bar In Bumper 2 .jpg
Views:	402
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	37841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Bar Mounting.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	37849  

Last edited by weinberk; 11-28-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:10 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

How sturdy is it? Which brand of LED did you pruchase. Does it impede airflow?

2015 Nissan Armada Platinum Arctic Blue. U3 Canbus Led Fog and Low Beams, Silver Hyper Star high beam. XPel Ultimate, Nissan Bug Shield,

Wish list: Magnaflow cat back exhaust- 3 days away! Volant CAI, 2" Lift , 295 tires
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremearmada View Post
I got one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7D-23inch-32...xX~z3G&vxp=mtr

No movement at all even over rough (paved) road. I haven't used it in warm weather, but I don't anticipate any issues with airflow.

The mounting location does mean that if it's snowing hard enough, snow will build up on the bar and make it pretty useless, but I don't think I'd want such a bright light on during snowfall anyway.

I've installed it with 2 relays so that it's only on if the brights are on AND the switch for the bar is on. That means I can have the switch on (ready to go) and the bar will turn on and off with the factory brights lever. Convenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremearmada View Post
I'd love to see some photos of your U3 installation fogs and lows and the silverstar highs. Really don't like the yellow colors factory lights. Do you have photos posted anywhere?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:13 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I don't have any pics but the U3 are brighter than the HID I had in the past. Agai. The issue is the reflection during heavy snow storms. It was difficult to see. Looking at amber overlay on the fogs from Laminx

2015 Nissan Armada Platinum Arctic Blue. U3 Canbus Led Fog and Low Beams, Silver Hyper Star high beam. XPel Ultimate, Nissan Bug Shield,

Wish list: Magnaflow cat back exhaust- 3 days away! Volant CAI, 2" Lift , 295 tires
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:14 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Frankly, I think its a solid setup and pretty convenient if you don't want the LED bar on with the high beams on all the time. Im about to do a similar mod with my lights but might turn mine on with the fogs or as you with the high beams....I just need to see how bright they are.

Anyways the gauge of the high beam light wire (our control line) shouldn't matter as there isn't very much additional load on it to simply engage relay #1 - well I guess I would need to know the relay PN so I can look up the specs on it and see where its triggered but generally it doesn't take much to engage the relay. The gauge wire that really matters is the wire (load line) that's hooked into the battery but you also have that protected with a 30 amp fuse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Eli
04 Armada 20s with 35's Nitto RidgeGrapplers, Pinch Weld Mod, Titan 08+ 4x4 coils, Bilstein 5100s (middle setting), Rancho quicklift rear w/Raybestos 589-1150 coils, 22" Magnaflow exhaust, limo tint, Debadged, Billet grille, bull bar, rear brush guard, Armaden LED package, Torque Pro Vehicle monitoring via Nexus 7 indash tablet (CyanogenMod) ELM327 (OBDII-bluetooth), Viper Alarm, Die Hard Batt, Royal Purple Synthetics...lotsa plastidip
April 2012 Ride of the Month...
Thanks guys

Last edited by Invanity; 03-31-2017 at 01:16 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 05:31 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hi, I have a 20" led light bar installed with one relay. It is controlled by the hi-beam but I also have a switch under the dash that can turn it off.
I also got a short extension wire for the hi-beam that made install possible without splicing into the factory wiring.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode