QX56 TVandNav2Go Installation - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

QX56 TVandNav2Go Installation

For QX56 owners here's a write-up of how to install the TVandNav2Go unit (www.tvandnav2go.com). I have a 2007 QX56, with factory navigation and factory rear DVD unit. The TvandNav2Go (from here on in referred to "TN2G" ) box with the Plug and Play harness I picked up from Mr. Lego from this forum. I plan to use the TN2G device so that I can route to the front Navigation screen whatever is playing on the rear DVD system.

YOU WILL BE TAKING APART SEVERAL PARTS OF YOUR CAR, DRILLING INTO SOME SECTIONS AND CUTTING/SPLICING SOME WIRES. THIS WORKED FOR ME, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THAT IT WILL WORK FOR YOU. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Here's some stuff I had to buy:

Radio Shack SPST flush mount rocker switch 275-693

Radio Shack 6-Ft RCA to Tinned Wires 42-2371

Squeeze tap connectors (available at any auto parts store)
T-Tap connectors

Prep:
I wired my rocker switch to a few lead wires. I left about a foot of wire - I did this so I could extend the switch anywhere I wanted it. Turns out I didn't need this, but at the time it was good thinking. This is the switch I intended to use to flip between the normal NAV screen and my Video 1 input. I believe that a NEW unit purchased from the manufacturer may already have a switch wired in for you.

Objective #1 - connect the Plug and Play cable to the stock navigation display

1. Set your parking brake

2. Pry up the little cover over the shift-lock release button. Put a flat-head screwdriver down, apply pressure, and shift the vehicle into Neutral.

3. Remove the Shift Knob. Pull down on the little hood, and unscrew the knob in a counter-clockwise direction.

4. Lift up on the center console finisher, I found it easiest to pull up from the back, closest to the storage compartment.

5. There is enough slack in the wiring to have the console finisher sit on the side, but if you wish you can disconnect the whole thing with a single plug and set it off to the side.

6. Time to remove the radio bezel ("Cluster lid C"). Pull!

7. Disconnect the clips. For the most part, everything only fits back in one place. But it may be a good idea to take a mental or physical picture for yourself if you feel like you may forget where things go.

8. This should be the end result once you have the radio bezel off.

At this point, I was thinking about trying to take off the surrounding panel with the air vents ("Cluster Lid D"), but after unsuccessfully trying to yank it out for a while I decided to just work around it.

9. Remove the factory radio by taking out 4 screws.
10. With the radio out, you should now have enough room to reach behind the Nav screen and unplug the connector. To this connector, attach one end of the PnP cable that came with the TN2G unit, and attach the other end of the TN2G PnP wire harness to the back of the Nav screen where you just removed the factory connector.

11. Now you have to take the other end of the PnP wire harness and run it down thru the dash and console to where you intend to install the actual TN2G box. I decided I would put it in the center storage compartment, underneath the DVD player.

Objective #2 - Tap the OEM DVD player's Video signal

12. Open up the storage comparment lid, on the opposite side of the hinge there are two rubber "feet", you can remove those and you'll find two screws under there. Remove the screws.

13. The very bottom of the compartment is a thin piece of fuzzy carpet, remove this and expose the 3 screws there and remove.

14. When you've removed those 5 screws, you can pull on the whole compartment and it should come up and out. I'd suggest putting a towel or something on the trim panels in front so you don't scratch them up.

Unfortunately, this is where I forgot and stopped taking pictures, sorry! But i'll attempt to describe in as much detail what to do next.

15. The video signal (for the 2007 QX56) is on the blue connector on the back of the DVD player, pin #23 on connector M206 (service manual AV-77). It's a black and white wire. I used a set of T-Tap connectors I found with quick disconnects to tap the signal. Basically I put the dark blue connector around the video signal wire, and crimped the quick disconnect spade onto center wire of the the RCA-to-tinned wire I got from Radio Shack, and then connected them together.

<Note by Pops: (Pin #23 [Black/White] is the +POS, and Pin #24 [Blue] is the -NEG)>

Objective #3 - Power and mount the TN2G box

16. To tap power for the TN2G unit, there is a power socket on the back panel of the storage compartment. Cut away the black plastic sheath and you'll expose a blue and a black wire. The blue wire is power - so I quick-spliced that to the Positive lead of the TN2G power cable. Ditto for the black wire and the negative lead of the Tn2G power cable. I used taps like these:

17. I found that the little "well" in the rear driver side of the storage compartment was large enough to accomodate the TN2G box, so that's where I put it.
18. Now, connect the cables to the TN2G box. The video cable you just spliced up in step #15 goes to Video 1. The power cable you tapped in step #16 goes to power. The monitor cable you ran back from the factory screen in step #11 goes to the RGB connector.

19. The only thing left is to wire your switch. I drilled a 3/4 hole in the storage console right above the DVD player and put my switch there. Then I tapped the lead wires I put together in the PREP stage to the Red/Black combo from the TN2G box with more of those quick-splice taps.

20. You need to put the storage console back down, the radio bezel and center console back on and re-connect all the wires. Turn on the car, select DVD and hit the switch - if all has gone well, you should see the rear DVD signal on your front screen!

21. Assuming that everything is working properly, this is the time to put all the screws back for the storage compartment, put the shift knob back on and basically button everything back up.

Here's the end result, it works like a charm. Note that the TN2G device has capability for a 2nd video input. One option for me is to tap the rear view camera video, so I can always see what's going on back there instead of only when in reverse. This doesn't seem to hold much value for me. More likely will be some type of Carputer in the future, but for now, I have exactly what I need.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	av.JPG
Views:	6194
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	5464  

Jonathan

2007 Jaguar XK, 2007 Infiniti QX56, 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Last edited by Pops; 12-10-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added Wire Diags and a Note to #15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 10:37 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Wow! That's great info! Thanks for posting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Very nice!!!!

2007 Black LE Mada DVD/NAV 24" Foose Nitrous6
2002 Road King Screamin Eagle Harley Davidson
2006 Lexus GS430 DVD/NAV LowenHart 20" BR'5
2006 Ford F250SD Diesel Harley Davidson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 07:55 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

great wirte up---very nice instal...glad it all work fine...enjoy

Building a better world, one piece at the time.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 08:39 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Very cool mod. It's very tempting.

BTW, I see you have a remote in your middle console. Is that for the factory equipment or do you have after market audio?
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Very cool mod. It's very tempting.

BTW, I see you have a remote in your middle console. Is that for the factory equipment or do you have after market audio?
The remote is OEM with the DVD player option (Technology Package)....

'05 Armada LE 4x4 - Red Brawn (AEM Brute Force Intake, Active Tuning Ground Kit "RED", Gibson Cat-Back, AirRaid TBS, Nitto TerraGrappler 325/60-18)
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kailo
Very Good Write Up...Shady

Trevor
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 AM
SHIFT_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerFA
The remote is OEM with the DVD player option (Technology Package)....
Is that standard on the 07 models too? I did not get a remote.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
The remote should have come with the DVD standard as well as the wireless headphones x 2.... Take a look here: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...e=28267-REMOTE

They have the remote, but for $75 + shipping/handling??? Ouch!

If you didn't receive the remote you had better go back to the dealer.... It is apart of the package!

'05 Armada LE 4x4 - Red Brawn (AEM Brute Force Intake, Active Tuning Ground Kit "RED", Gibson Cat-Back, AirRaid TBS, Nitto TerraGrappler 325/60-18)
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Definitely standard. Someone probably "barrowed" yours while it was still on the lot. Some dealerships pull them and keep them inside the building to prevent theft or misplacement and sometimes forget to hand them out too. Happened to my folks on their GX470, they just went back to the Lexus lot and asked for them and they pulled another set from inside a file cabinet.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 06-20-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode