User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DIY Oil Change

The truck is at 35k miles and the oil change notification thingy has come on. im planning on doing the oil change myself (for experience and kicks). umm What are the supplies i need and where can i find instructions? any tips? sorry for the newb questions this is my first time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Performance: Stock Intake Ram Air Mod, Coolant Bypass & Screen Delete,Hooker Aero Chamber Dumped, Flowmaster Y- pipe, K&N Drop in, Gutted Rear Cats, Superchips Tuned

Exterior: 325/60/18 Toyo Open Country A/T, Gloss Black Qx56 Grill , Gloss Black BT Mirrors, Gloss Black Qx56 Rims, (2) Generic Grill lights, DIY Light Bar, (4) Hella 500 FF's, DIY Cargo Basket,

Interior: Burnout Mod (Launch Control), JBL Home Theater Sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm going to make a shopping list before i go. can someone tell me what i need to buy at like Kragen or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Performance: Stock Intake Ram Air Mod, Coolant Bypass & Screen Delete,Hooker Aero Chamber Dumped, Flowmaster Y- pipe, K&N Drop in, Gutted Rear Cats, Superchips Tuned

Exterior: 325/60/18 Toyo Open Country A/T, Gloss Black Qx56 Grill , Gloss Black BT Mirrors, Gloss Black Qx56 Rims, (2) Generic Grill lights, DIY Light Bar, (4) Hella 500 FF's, DIY Cargo Basket,

Interior: Burnout Mod (Launch Control), JBL Home Theater Sub.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Probably about 8 quarts of oil...10W40 or 10W30
The right Oil filter
An oil drain pan
Adjustable wrench to remove your drain plug located at the bottom of your oil pan.
Some rags
Changing the oil on your vehicle is one of the simplest maintenance you can do...Hopefully I was able to help you on what you need to purchase.

'07 Fully Loaded Smoke R_MADA LE NAV/4x4...

'99 BMW 528i sittin' on 19's

'96 Eclipse GST modded w/ JDM motor(4-SALE)

'95 Toyota Celica All-trac (AWD Turbo)

'94 Mitsubishi 3000GT modded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:15 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanK1
Probably about 8 quarts of oil...10W40 or 10W30
The right Oil filter
An oil drain pan
Adjustable wrench to remove your drain plug located at the bottom of your oil pan.
Some rags
Changing the oil on your vehicle is one of the simplest maintenance you can do...Hopefully I was able to help you on what you need to purchase.
Need a new drain plug washer, available from the dealer.
I thought our trucks used 5W-30. ?????
I wouldn't use an adjustable wrench on the drain plug, I'd find out what size socket is needed. You also will need a socket to remove the front skid plate to get to the oil filter.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:55 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

The hardest part of the oil change is removing the skid plates - and that's easy.

Just get a full set of metric wrenches and you'll be set. There is also a copper crush ring that needs to be replaced - the oil filter sold at the dealer has it.

The Armada calls for 5W-30 but check your manual for the ideal weight. I also use Mobile1 Full Synthetic in my Armada.

Giggity
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:41 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Socket set, oil catch pan, oil of choice, filter, filter wrench or rope and one foot long 1x3, jack, jack stands.
Drive it until it is hot. Jack it up and put the weight on the stands with jack in place for safety.
Remove the skid plate that protects the motor.
Loosen up bolt for oil pan.
Put oil catch pan in position and remove oil pan plug.
Let hot oil drain
Loosen and remove filter.
Clean area around filter and oil pan plug with a rag.
Install new filter hand tight after lubing up the rubber gasket on the filter with oil.
Put plug back in.
Fill with oil.
Run motor an check for leaks.
Put skid plate back on and jack her down.
Now you're done and saved $10 vs. going to Jiffy lube or WalMart.

Lowered SUVs are Beneath me. W in '04. Thank me!

'05 Armada LE 4x4, Red Brawn, Graphite, Tech, DVD, Terra Grapplers 305-55-20, MB Motoring Express 20x9, 6000k HID lows, Silverstar 9005 highs & 893 fogs, Lund Stainless Steel Bug Shield, Timing advanced 2 degrees
'92 Vette Vert Black,6-Spd,Lots of mods (For Sale)
'04 G35 Sedan-Black,Sport,wing,all opt.
'02 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T (Hers)
'04 Kawi STX-15F JetSki

|
|
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:54 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

i dont have to jack mine up to change the oil , do you guys have to jack it up? also use 5w30 , test hve shown that 10w30 has more ware and tear espacially in start up , also just a bit of advice, dont show your lisence ta on your pics, lots of thiefs are using these sites to spot cars and steal them , just looking out for a fellow Club Armada member, take care

In GOD We Trust!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clostoyo
Also just a bit of advice, dont show your lisence ta on your pics, lots of thiefs are using these sites to spot cars and steal them , just looking out for a fellow Club Armada member, take care
How? Just curious because I never could figure out why people did that on their plates.

Lowered SUVs are Beneath me. W in '04. Thank me!

'05 Armada LE 4x4, Red Brawn, Graphite, Tech, DVD, Terra Grapplers 305-55-20, MB Motoring Express 20x9, 6000k HID lows, Silverstar 9005 highs & 893 fogs, Lund Stainless Steel Bug Shield, Timing advanced 2 degrees
'92 Vette Vert Black,6-Spd,Lots of mods (For Sale)
'04 G35 Sedan-Black,Sport,wing,all opt.
'02 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T (Hers)
'04 Kawi STX-15F JetSki

|
|
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Thieves have programs that will look up you info with your tag numbers, alotof guys go to that cardomain website and pu a pick of their car with tags and thats the worst thing you can do.

In GOD We Trust!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clostoyo
Thieves have programs that will look up you info with your tag numbers, alotof guys go to that cardomain website and pu a pick of their car with tags and thats the worst thing you can do.
GREAT EYE clostoyo!!!! My neighbor is a PI and told me the same thing. He said some of the big rings will map a path out sometimes through more than one state so they know exactly where they are going to get what. He said it's like grocery shopping for these guys and posting your plates or address is potentially adding yourself to the shopping list.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode