Shelf for behind 3rd row
Only real gripe I have about my Armada is the storage space behind the 3rd row. Granted, I sort of knew that going in but it still doesn't change the fact that I'd like more. So, I did some research and in the end came up with an easy and reasonable solution. I wanted something not too expensive, was portable/removeble, stable, allowed for 3rd row to still have some recline and looked halfway decent. I found some articles online where people used metal closet shelving and zip ties and even covering it in auto carpet. It would work fine but just wasn't what I wanted. Here's my solution:
1 48" L x 12" W x 1" D pine common board (got mine at HD; it's a standard size); This size leaves a little room on each side as not to rub on the interior as well as leaves wiggle room depending on how much you recline the 3rd row.
4 1/2" x 10" black pipe nipples; between the pipe and board height, any shorter doesn't leave much room below the shelf and any taller doesn't leave much of the back of the seats to help hold stuff in place
8 1/2" black pipe flanges (used the more "decorative" ones that came in 2-packs since they were cheaper per piece that way)
16 3/4" wood screws (I forgot what head size - 10 or 12 - but you should check based on the holes in your flange anyway; had 4 holes per flange - adjust quantity as needed)
1 can of Rust-Oleum Leak Seal Black (could've probably used a 2nd can, especially if you want to paint the pipe and flanges too; chose rubberized paint for 2 reasons - provide some grip for the items on the shelf and to reduce scratches to the interior)
How I made it:
1. Sand down the sharp edges of the board. Less chance for splintering and scratching the interior. Plus, provides for better paint coverage.
2. Tested placement of the flanges and where the legs would be to maximize space but still be stable. I went with 1/2" in from each board edge to the edge of the flange. (FYI - This will work if you have the protective floor cover from Nissan as all 4 legs fit within the "tray").
3. Drilled pilot holes and then inserted the screws to attached the flanges at each corner.
4. Painted the top and sides with the rubberized paint per the instructions on the can.
5. Flipped over the board, masked off the flanges and painted the bottom (did this so you wouldn't see the white wood; didn't coat as much as the top as it was just for looks but I could've used a little more - no one can tell from just looking into my truck so it's fine)
6. Screwed the remaining 4 loose flanges onto one end of each pipe.
7. Screwed the other end of each pipe into the flanges mounted on the board.
Overall, it looks good (even my wife agrees) and works really well. I decided not to paint the pipes and flanges knowing 1. I could always do it later and 2. I only had 1 can of paint and the shelf is the priority. I probably would've given the board another coat if I had a 2nd can and maybe even did the pipes/flanges but it's fine for now. I figure over time as the shelf does get scratched up, I'll just simply add more of the rubberized paint to refresh it. But at this point I don't see needing to paint the pipes and flanges as they look pretty good. And painting the board black makes it look sharp with the dark carpet in the trunk area.
I had considered doing legs with wood and a folding bracket to have the option to make it flat when needed but I decided the pipe was easier and more consistent in terms of length. Plus, the pipes are thinner leaving more access under the shelf. And if I need it flat, I just unscrew the legs.
There are a million variations but thought this may help others looking for a pretty easy DIY solution as is or a thought starter for your own version.
2017 Armada Platinum AWD White
Tinted windows, K&N Air Filter, Beamtech LED fog lights
Last edited by Jcross13; 12-12-2017 at 12:40 PM.