Transmission fluid change for 2012 QX? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Transmission fluid change for 2012 QX?

Hey All,
I was wondering if the 2012 QX has a dipstick tube like the earlier versions so you can refill the trans fluid. The first thing I do when I buy a used car is replace all fluids and filters. I'm picking up my new to me 2012 QX tomorrow so I haven't looked super close under the hood yet.
THanks!
-J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

I was able to find the service manual for a 2011 QX. Looks like these have an overflow plug and you actually pump fluid in the pan by use of what they call a "changing pipe" I'm pretty positive I can figure this out.

My plan is actually to remove the trans lines from the rad and install an aftermarket cooler. What I typically do is remove the lines from the cooler, start the vehicle and let the trans pump the fluid out. When I see bubbles I shut the engine off and fill the pan. Repeat this process several times until the fluid coming out of the cooler line is new red fluid. That way I know that I've flushed all the old fluid from the torque converter. Then I drop the pan, replace the filter, clean the magnet, bolt it back together and fill the pan.

-J
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:46 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
In a couple weeks, I plan on changing the ATF on my '14 QX80 as well. Unfortunately, there is no ATF dipstick tube and have to change ATF fluid via removing the overflow plug.

Unlike the previous gen QX56/Armada/Titan, there are no trans lines running in/out of the bottom of the radiator which is great. There is an ATF warmer mounted on the engine block to help warm up the ATF. Also, the OE ATF cooler mounted in front of the condenser does have a bypass valve. Depending on ATF temp; if the ATF is cold, it stays closed to let the ATF return back to the transmission to get to operating temps much faster. Of course if its hotter than normal operating temps, the bypass valve opens to let the ATF circulate through the cooler.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Interesting, The service manual I have is for 2011. It specifically shows trans lines going into the lower radiator.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode