How to Adjust Headlights (2018 SL) - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question How to Adjust Headlights (2018 SL)

The dial is ALL the way up but the headlights, when on a level road, have a VERY sharp cutoff point about 50' out. It is a safety concern. With the 2010 Armada we had before this, hardly every did I use brights (I hardly do with any car). But with the 2018, I often feel like I am driving into a tunnel as it is so dark beyond the cutoff.

The two lights are level. I've adjusted the dial up and down many times hoping that somehow I'll unlock a secret level but nothing yet.

It was suggested by the Ford dealer to lower the tire pressure so that the rims are barely off the ground and that it would help point the light out further. Kidding.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:53 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The answer

I found the answer to your question today. I took my 2018 Armada in for it's first oil change today. I ask about adjusting the headlights for the same reason. Turns out that the adjustment is really easy.

There are two holes on the top of the fender under the edge of the hood. The rear hole has an adjustment screw. You will need a long philips head screw driver. The adjustment screw is just to the outside of the hole. You will need to tilt the screwdriver to toward the fender to hit the screw. Park the vehicle on a level surface with a wall or wooden fence in front of it. Make the adjustments. Do not raise them too much as the headlights are really bright and you will continually get people flashing their high beams at you. Don't ask how I know that.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Wow! This is awesome. Thank you for keeping this in mind while getting your Armada serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georged View Post
There are two holes on the top of the fender under the edge of the hood. The rear hole has an adjustment screw.
I went out with my longest screwdriver and brightest light and could not find any screw.

Is this correct? https://imgur.com/h0mlVSH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h0mlVSH.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	45433  

Last edited by osensnolf; 02-28-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

After posting above, I went back out. Somehow there is nothing on Google about adjusting these manually. No photos, guides, nothing. So I 'think' that I finally found the "screw". If so, it is a not a screw but instead, there is a slot that a screwdriver (14-16") can fit into. When turning the screwdriver, it turns the teeth (see image).

All of that said, I tried to turn it but I didn't try very hard as I am not 100% sure this is the correct piece. My screwdriver (12") isn't long enough so I was coming at it from the side. If I had the right tool, this may have been very easy.

If I can get confirmation that this is the right thing that should be turning, I'll get a longer screwdriver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	45435  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:32 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
I'm having the same problem on my 2017 Armada. As soon as I am on a dark road, and no other traffic, I have to turn the high beams on just to safely see curves up ahead. I found the adjustment knob and it was already turned all the way up. I hope it can be decided exactly the right way to adjust the headlights. I know that for my 2008 Harley, the dealership just put the headlights on when they put it together from the crate. They did not bother to adjust them. Luckily, after being bright lighted by other drivers, I found the actual specifications, measurements, to adjust my headlights. I had to park a certain distance from a wall and measure a certain distance up. All I had to do after that was align the headlights. I thought vehicles had the same kind of guide lines. I'm 43yrs old and I seem to remember that long time ago, it was actually part of the inspection when getting a vehicle registered.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:29 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Do not try and turn those teeth. You will break or bend something. Your first photo has the correct adjustment points. Try shining a small flashlight down the front hole and look down the rear hole. It is definitely a Philips head screw. A 12" screwdriver will not work. It is close to the headlight housing. Unfortunately, you can't get a camera down there to take a picture. It took the dealer about 5 minutes to adjust mine while I watched. If you can't find it stop by your dealership.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

I was hoping to get this adjusted before traveling this weekend but that did not happen. For the most part I have only been in town since buying it but over the weekend I was on unfamiliar roads and the situation was VERY bad - a real safety concern. Some areas were so dark that I had to keep the brights on even with cars coming (but there was a grass median between us).

As soon as I get the solution, I'll post it on here. I hate using my brights. I think I used them more this weekend than I did the 9 years I had my 2010 Armada. No kidding.