LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to ERNGE
DVD Install Question

Hello again guys. Got another install question for you. I am going to attempt to install my Kenwood DNX-7100 and a M&D 9". I do not have the factory dvd system. My question is, instead of doing llavajumps install, can't i just hook up the HU like any other HU and run RCA's to the monitor? Also, how would I power the Flip Down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
I just finished installing my new replacement monitor last night and rewiring the power because they took away the "Auto Power On" feature.

Here's what I did:

It's easier to disassemble the front Center Console then start with the Monitor first.

For the Center Console, start by removing the 2 screws under the Rubber Stops for the lid. Remove the bottom liner and the 3-Bolts down there. Then lift the inner console out, the lid is attached. Then I used this diagram as a reference:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...1224_1229.html

CAUTION: Start your Truck every 30-60 mins and let run to recharge the Battery!!!! These batteries drain very fast. Mine went so dead that it wouldn't recharge enough to start after 45mins on Jumper Cables so I had to go buy a new Battery at 1:00am just so I could make it into work this morning.

For the Monitor:

Remove the front overhead Cubby Bin. It will still hold itself up on a hook on the front side of it. Remove the 2 bolts in the Rear Cubby Bin but hang onto the overhead because it will drop this time. Unhook it and gently let it hang for now.

For the Monitor Cable run, open the rear driver side door. Pull the plastic foot plates off the bottom of the door jamb. Pull the Door Liner away from the front and top of the door jamb. Gently pull the top plastic piece away just enough to make a small gap. Use a wire clothes hanger to feed the cable under the carpet to your Center Console. Then use it to feed the other end through the roofline to the overhead. Then line the cable inside the small gap you created along the front of the door jamb. It'll be covered up when you put the rubber door seal back on. Leave some slack on both ends, mostly on the overhead side. When your satisfied with the slack, reassemble the Door Jamb then the overhead.

At this point you'll see that you might as well use llajumpvid's method unless you're going to use an FM Modulator since there are no RCA connections on the Factory HUD.

The DVD Player install should be pretty straight forward at this point too. You can use this thread for your Power Connections AND more details on the HUD connection (page 4 in the link is very informative):

https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/sho...?t=6068&page=4

Hope that helps!!!!

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Pops; 07-09-2008 at 10:09 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

You didn't happen to take pictures of this did you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
Sorry, No way. I started on it as soon as I got home, taking a few breaks on here with my laptop in the garage, and didn't finish until 12:30am. Leaving for a week long business trip in Vegas this weekend taking the family so this time was a must be done now. Sorry!!!! If you have a hard time, I can take some that you may need on a weekend after I get back.

Hopefully, you won't need me to mess with the Center Console again though. You'll easily find the screws if you take your time and gently pull around to find the attached places. The hidden ones are on the top sides of the rear piece. You'll have to loosen the top side pieces enough to lift them out of the way to get to these 2 screws.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Pops; 10-18-2007 at 03:08 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Yeah, i just called another local shop and they wanted $300-$500 dollars and the lady on the phone that was being generous......I really would like to do this by myself, but I REALLY want it to be correct.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 03:43 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
You can do it better than they can as long as you're not in a hurry. Seriously, if you don't mind driving around with your Center Console in pieces for a week or two, that's more than enough time for you to get it perfect and make them Oooohhhh and Aaaaahhhh. I kept mine apart for a week and I am very glad that I did.

Just make sure to get a Line Driver Pre-Amp in hand first for the HUD connect because it can take a week or two to arrive if ordered online.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

"I just finished installing my new replacement monitor last night and rewiring the power because they took away the "Auto Power On" feature".

Pops, What is the Auto Power On Feature?

05 Armada LE 4x4, Myron & Davis 9" Rearscreen with Myron & Davis DVD, OEM Navigation Housing with Garmin 7200 Street Pilot(with XM Radio), Pioneer Rearview Camera, LED Mirrors
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 11:36 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by white knight
Pops, What is the Auto Power On Feature?
It's where you never need to touch the monitor. It automatically turns on anytime there's power to it. Since my Player was providing power to it, the monitor would automatically turn on and off by just using the power button on the player. It helped keep the kids from unbuckleing their seatbelts while driving and putting their hands on the monitor.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops
It's where you never need to touch the monitor. It automatically turns on anytime there's power to it. Since my Player was providing power to it, the monitor would automatically turn on and off by just using the power button on the player. It helped keep the kids from unbuckleing their seatbelts while driving and putting their hands on the monitor.
I have M & D player and monitor, but I still have to turn on the monitor every time. How did you hook it up, so that it comes on automatically?

05 Armada LE 4x4, Myron & Davis 9" Rearscreen with Myron & Davis DVD, OEM Navigation Housing with Garmin 7200 Street Pilot(with XM Radio), Pioneer Rearview Camera, LED Mirrors
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 09:37 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by white knight
I have M & D player and monitor, but I still have to turn on the monitor every time. How did you hook it up, so that it comes on automatically?
There is a Blue wire that I found on the back of the Player. When I looked it up in the fine print on the bottom right of Page 2 (attached below <PDF Page 5>) in the AD212 manual that I downloaded from M&D's site, it said it is "Power Out" so I connected the Monitor's Acc Power Supply to that instead of the Cig Lighter. Then there were more settings on that Monitor in the Menus than there are on the new ones. In one of those menus, there was a setting that said something like "Auto Power" and I enabled it.

Something to note with this new Monitor is that when I had the Acc Power connected like that, the Player would not Power On with the "Remote In" wire connected. Tech Support didn't know why the player wouldn't power up with the "Remote In" connected so I finally theorized that maybe the Player tries to detect something when it's plugged in there and it cannot detect a Monitor's Remote Sensor when the Monitor is not powered so I rewired back to the Cig Lighter and now it's working like it should be. The fact this happened tells me that they've made major changes (like maybe a different chipset supplier) and they thought it would be unnoticed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	5301  

Last edited by Pops; 10-19-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode