LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to Armada Chick Send a message via MSN to Armada Chick
How To Install HIDs

This really is one of the most simple installations out there. The following vehicle used was a 2004 Nissan Armada SE. With most brands coming as "plug-n-plays" these days, I would say this job rates at a beginner level and shouldn't take you more than 1 hour. And intermediate to advanced mechanic should be able to complete this within 20 to 30 minutes.

Tools we used: #2 Phillips screw driver. 90 pick or small flat head. Cleaning solution like 409 and paper towels or rags.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

The kit:

Close-up of the ballast:

We chose to use Sylvania Silverstars for the high beams, as I am not a fan of waiting for the HID highs to heat up and turn on. Honestly, the low beams are bright enough as it is, and I feel the highs are a wasted expense...but it's really your choice!

THE INSTALL:

The easiest way to do it is to remove the screw(or screws) holding the wheel well lining in place and pull it back. This is what you'll be looking at...(headlight is up above, also NOTE the flat spot, it's the perfect place to mount the ballast)

1. Start on either side of the vehicle and turn the wheel the opposite direction of the side you plan on working on.

2. Use a #2 Phillips screw driver and remove the screw that secures the fender to the front bumper valance.

3. Use a 90 degree pick or small flat head to pull down on the hinged clip that holds the wheel well lining above the tire on the fender.

4. Carefully pull back the wheel well lining but don't bend it so much that it creases and cracks.

5. Along the side of the frame that holds the core support spray some cleaner like 409. Allow it to soak and wipe clean. Depending on how dirty it is you might need to repeat this step a few times and allow sufficient time for it to dry.:

Now, you mount the ballast (like I said before, this flat spot works perfectly). Most kits will come with a double sided sticky pad or tape to mount it with. Some people are much more comfortable with screwing it on though...so it's your choice.

6. Using the double sided tape apply it to the back side of the ballast and firmly place it on the frame. Remember, if you didn't clean the frame adequately or didn't allow it to dry the ballast won't stick. If you feel more comfortable you can use some self tapping screws and permanently mount them in place.:

Next, you swap the bulbs out...of course making sure to NOT TOUCH the bulb at all. Here, the bulb is installed, and the wire hanging, unconnected.

7. Remove the factory bulb by pushing on the snap lock and pulling down. Then turn it counter clockwise if you're looking at it from behind. And carefully replace it with the HID bulb turning it clockwise to firmly secure it in place.. Be careful not to touch the light bulb with your fingers leaving oil residue as this can cause the light bulb to overheat and explode in some cases.:

8. Next conect the ballast wires to to HID wires.

9. Connect the separate plug wires to the red/red and black/black HID wires to the factory plug. Test headlight to make sure it functions properly.*

* In the event the HIDs do not turn on the first time, switch the wires that go from the factory plug in to the HIDs. It should be red/red and black/black, but sometimes they come from the factory installed incorrectly and you will need to switch it from red/black and black/red.:

10. Carefully replace the fender well cover back into its original position and make sure the top fender is correctly in position before snapping the plastic hinge lock back into place.

11. Replace the screw using your #2 Phillips screw driver.

12. Repeats step 1 through 11 for the opposite side.

How to install upgraded high beams such as Sylvania Ultra Stars:

I would say this job also rates at a beginner level and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

No tools are needed.

1. Facing the front of the vehicle with the hood push on the snap lock and push down to remove the harness.

2. Turn the light bulb clockwise and pull out.

3. Carefully place the new light bulb into the headlight housing and turn it counter clockwise to tighten. Be careful not to touch the light bulb with your fingers leaving oil residue as this can cause the light bulb to overheat and explode in some cases.

4. Re-install the harness making sure it snaps back in to place.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the opposite side.

FINISHED PRODUCT PICS:

First turned her on, bulbs start out blueish-purple, and will get more white as they heat up:

Front view after first turning them on:

Far off view with just low beams:

Far off view with high beams (Sylvania Silverstars):

Note: I used the latest kit out by Vision-X, my bulb rating was 8000K for any of you interested

Heather

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold: '04 Armada SE 4x4: Tow package, remote start w/alarm, Vision-X HIDs, 22" chrome Momo Storms, front windows tinted to match the back, back-up camera, 2* TA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Armada Chick; 08-02-2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Details added as Requested by PwrStrokinDually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Nice write up!!!! Thanks!!!!

Search Tags: high intensity discharge headlight

Last edited by Pops; 11-01-2007 at 10:35 AM.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops
Nice write up!!!! Thanks!!!!

Search Tags: high intensity discharge headlight
No problem Pops...I just hope it helps some people out, or even makes people decide to do the swap Not only is it a cleaner look, but the safety issue is there as well...the HIDs make it so much easier to see.

I just wish I had gotten some more clear pictures!

Heather

Sold: '04 Armada SE 4x4: Tow package, remote start w/alarm, Vision-X HIDs, 22" chrome Momo Storms, front windows tinted to match the back, back-up camera, 2* TA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PwrStrokinDually
I couldn't have said a better write up myself. Way to go babe!

Danny Om

01 SC PSD Dually (build date 08-00 w/ PMRs), 8" Edge, dual F&R Doetsch aluminum shocks w/ resevoirs, 37" SSR on all 6 tires, 2" (hub & wheel centric) wheel adapters by Fearless Fred Goeske, Fabtech racing track bars.

Projectors (HID 10k low/high), clear corners, clear cab lights, clear dually side markers, Amp-Research retractable side-steps, power rear-slider, Snug-Top canopy, billet grill, and chrome truck nutz!

Fully built motor w/ B-codes, GT42R, and Terminator HPOS.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:04 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

This is a perfect write-up, thanks! If Santa was nice to me this year I'll be doing this Dec 26th....who am I kidding, I couldn't wait that long....December 25th around noon! haha
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_624
This is a perfect write-up, thanks! If Santa was nice to me this year I'll be doing this Dec 26th....who am I kidding, I couldn't wait that long....December 25th around noon! haha
I'm very glad it helped you How did the install go? (if Santa was good to you haha)

Heather

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Somebody needs to get into the manual writing business. That looked a lot better than a bunch I have read.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaul
Somebody needs to get into the manual writing business. That looked a lot better than a bunch I have read.
Haha maybe I should contact vision-x?? lol

Heather

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada Chick
Haha maybe I should contact vision-x?? lol
Hell yeah, written better than an Army Manual!

post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakSpyda
Hell yeah, written better than an Army Manual!
Aww thanks...you guys are makin me blush

Heather

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode