Pic's for Active Tuning Grounding Kit Install - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pic's for Active Tuning Grounding Kit Install

This is from well over a year ago, that I took these for the Active guys.. some made it to their site, others did not.

After reading the GB post last night, and saw some were having issues/questions, I thought maybe these could be of help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0003.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	5980   Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0004.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	5981   Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0005.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	5982   Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0018.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	5983   Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0010.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	5984  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chris03HD; 01-12-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

More pictures..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0011.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	5985   Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0014.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	5986   Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0015.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	5987   Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0016.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	5988   Click image for larger version

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0017.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	5989  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

And last of the pictures...

*note* I have a Volant Intake now, and the wire is still in the same location as shown.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ActiveTuning Kit0019.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	5990  

Last edited by Chris03HD; 01-12-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 05:18 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Ok, so I am going to install the kit right now and am looking at the Active Tuning how to and it says...

Note: This wire shouldn�t be used when the vehicle has a current-measuring device on the negative battery cable between the battery and the chassis attachment point (We've only seen this in 07's). We recommend removing the chassis attachment point and cleaning to bare metal for a better connection. Nissan bolts these on right over paint.

Well, I have an 07 and so how do I know if mine has such a measuring device? And if it does, why can I not use that new ground cable to supplement the ground?

Advice, suggestions?

Randy
'07 Majestic Blue LE
Houston, TX
Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

I just finished the install. There is one little thing that didn't match up with the directions (at least on my 07).

On the lead that goes down to the alternator, the attachment point on the back of the alternator is not the same. In fact, the back of the alternator looks totally different than the pics of the others that I have seen. On mine, there was no other threaded hole to attach the extra ground. Almost the entire back of the alternator was covered with a black cover (not sure what it was or why). I ended up just sharing the existing ground that is on the back of the alternator.

Other than that, the only minor thing was the cable (that I stated in a previous post) that goes from the battery's negative post to the upper fender bolt. I ended up just removing the paint from the stock Nissan attachment point so as to make a better connection. I do wish that Active Tuning would just send out 3 cables instead of 4 for the 07 kit. Since I have a left over cable, I really want to use it. The web site says not to, so until I can talk to them, I won't.

Randy
'07 Majestic Blue LE
Houston, TX
Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 PM
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

The 07 and 08s have the current measuring device. It measures the current passing through the battery negative cable. This signal is then sent to the ECM, and then to the IPDM E/R, and on to the alternator.

Attached is the info about the system.

If you have the current measuring device you can still use the cable that attaches to the cowl. Instead of connecting it to the battery negative terminal, fasten it to the same bolt that the cable from the alternator fastens to. You can run the cable beside the battery then up to the cowl. By connecting the cable in this manner all the ground current will still pass through the measuring device, ant the charging rate control will be the same, and you will still have the additional grounding to the body at the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery Current Sensor.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	5998  
Old 01-12-2008, 10:41 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
I just finished sort-of helping Back-n-black install his Grounding Kit on his '07 Titan and we connected the alternator wire to the same bolt as the existing ground wire that's already there.

FWIW, when he test drove it, he noticed a significant Performance increase after the install.

Another thing to watch for is to make sure that you stay on the top sides of any Heat Shields when connecting the Tranny to Exhaust grounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajBlue07
Pops, what do you mean when you say to stay on the top sides of the heat shields? I did my transmission one the way the web site instructed. I did drill a small hole so that I could wire tie the cable up so it wouldn't hang down.
The Titan's exhaust is different than ours so it shouldn't be an issue for us but I noticed on his 2WD how I could've easily accidentally strung a wire between the Exhaust Pipe and Heat Shield w/o really noticing so I just thought that I would point that out just in case. Following those instructions should be just fine.

Last edited by Pops; 01-13-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:47 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Wow, thanks Scr38. I had no idea that the electrical system was so intuitive. Question for you...You said to take that unused grounding cable and connect it to the backside of the alternator and run it up to the cowl. I am currently sharing the negative post of the alternator for another one of the ground cables. With this being said, what should I do? Should I just tag the other ground cable to the negative post as well?

Randy
'07 Majestic Blue LE
Houston, TX
Old 01-13-2008, 12:41 AM
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I didn't say connect it to the alternator; connect it to the same place that the cable FROM the alternator connects. That is the ground point where the tap from the negative battery cable connects.
Look at the attachment. I used a picture from Chris03hd; the point to connect the cable to is circled in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajBlue07
Wow, thanks Scr38. I had no idea that the electrical system was so intuitive. Question for you...You said to take that unused grounding cable and connect it to the backside of the alternator and run it up to the cowl. I am currently sharing the negative post of the alternator for another one of the ground cables. With this being said, what should I do? Should I just tag the other ground cable to the negative post as well?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ground Point.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	5999  

Last edited by scr38; 01-13-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Thread cleaned up per request.