2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada Dies While Driving - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada Dies While Driving

I'm in need of some serious help. My truck has died on me while driving. I've taken it to the dealer... they've told me that it was my CAM and Crankshaft Sensors and I had them repair it. Truck didn't run right, rough idle, auto idling, etc. So, took it to another mechanic and they looked at it found that Nissan had put the sensors in backwards. They fixed it, truck ran great for about a couple of days. And now it's back to dieing out on me while driving again.

So, I've been reading a lot of the threads and everybody's saying that it is the ECM Relay Switch/IPDM. So, I purchased a new ECM Relay switch from a Nissan Dealer, had it overnighted, was excited to change it out because I just knew that would be the fix, but truck still shuts off while driving after putting in new ECM Relay. So, I don't know what to do. Is there any other things that will cause your truck to die while driving...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:15 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)

Pull codes from the OBD port.
Faulty petrol pump
Petrol rails clogged
Cats/manifolds

Are you the only owner? If used how long have you had it? If used did you pull VIN report to check history of the car?

If an actual Nissan dealer did a poor install why not take it back to them and have them repair it? If the car was acting up, it would make sense to just go back and have them correct/troubleshoot instead of going to a "mechanic". Im sure you have an explanation but in things like that i would let the dealer fix them so there is a record and no issues down the road if other items may be faulty that could be related to those sensors.

What's there mileage? Had any recalls done?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:53 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
Change the fuel pump. The 04 was excluded from the fuel pump recall because of stupid reasons only known to Nissan and the OE fuel pump are notorious for failing and giving incorrect readings on fuel level.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

@marctronixx Essentially, I'm the only owner. It was in my family until we purchased it after the previous owner, my mom, only had it for 2 years with less than 20K miles on it. So, we've had the truck since 2006 and now have nearly 198K miles on it. I think you are correct to take it back to the dealer, but when there is only one dealer in town, they can kind of tell you anything, which is what's been happening and so, I don't trust these guys. They even told me that when they put my car on the scanner that they only scanned the car for the problem that I told them I was having. Now, I'm no idiot, but if I'm not mistaken, when you put your car on the scanner, it pretty much finds faulty codes, whether you are trying to be pinpoint accurate or not. So, for this reason, I'm just leery about taking my truck back to them. Oh... and also, when I first brought my truck in their, they said that, I needed a cam and crankshaft sensor. And after that was repair was done, and they brought to truck out to my wife to drive home, we had two more lights on, SLIP and VDC... how does a car go into the shop with one light on and come back out with two.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm mad, but it's just been frustrating and I just don't feel as if the dealer is really being upfront and honest with me.
@primoV8 - I will look into changing the fuel pump. I hope that's not an expensive fix. If it is the fuel pump, would I see any OBDII codes?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
clrobinssr, I don't blame you for avoiding the Nissan dealership you brought your truck to after your experience. Out of all the cars, suvs I've owned and currently own from Honda, Audi, Nissan, MB, Cadillac, Land Rover.. Nissan is the worse when it comes to customer service. From corporate down to their service centers, incompetency is their speciality.

A bad or failing fuel pump won't show any codes but mechanically, the truck will drive horribly.
Things you might notice:
• lack of power when trying to speed up to merge onto a roadway or pass a vehicle
• loss of power or complete cutoff when going WOT
• sputtering, backfiring while idling in P and revving up the motor

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Replacing the fuel pump isn't too difficult. When I did it, I cut a flap on the carpet under the driver's side 2nd row seat, as per Nissan's TSB fix. That gives you access to the fuel pump assembly.

Here's a great thread on how to change the fuel pump yourself:
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45521

- Terrence McNally
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
clrobinssr, I don't blame you for avoiding the Nissan dealership you brought your truck to after your experience. Out of all the cars, suvs I've owned and currently own from Honda, Audi, Nissan, MB, Cadillac, Land Rover.. Nissan is the worse when it comes to customer service. From corporate down to their service centers, incompetency is their speciality.

A bad or failing fuel pump won't show any codes but mechanically, the truck will drive horribly.
Things you might notice:
lack of power when trying to speed up to merge onto a roadway or pass a vehicle
loss of power or complete cutoff when going WOT
sputtering, backfiring while idling in P and revving up the motor
@primoV8 - Thanks for the info... I'm no auto mechanic, but I don't take good to dealership when they insult people's intelligence. Is the fuel pump a do it yourself, kind of thing if you're not a mechanic, or is it something you'd suggest taking to a mechanic...?

I just want my truck back running... and is that an expensive fix if you take it to the mechanic?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
It depends on the mechanic(s) you go to and whether or not they'd want to drop the tank or would be willing to follow Nissan's TSB procedure where a flap is cut on the carpet.

If you can change your brake pads, then replacing the fuel pump should be doable. The hardest part is removing the OE lockring of the fuel pump assembly which does take a bit of elbow grease to loosen and unlock. After that, its literally pulling out the old assembly and dropping in the new one.

- Terrence McNally
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Replaced Fuel Pump, ECM Relay - Truck Still Dies While Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
It depends on the mechanic(s) you go to and whether or not they'd want to drop the tank or would be willing to follow Nissan's TSB procedure where a flap is cut on the carpet.

If you can change your brake pads, then replacing the fuel pump should be doable. The hardest part is removing the OE lockring of the fuel pump assembly which does take a bit of elbow grease to loosen and unlock. After that, its literally pulling out the old assembly and dropping in the new one.
Thanks so much for the info on changing out the Fuel Pump... I got it changed out, and replaced it with a new Delphi Fuel Pump from Auto Zone. Now, that I've replaced it, my fuel level indicator inside the truck works now. So, after replacing the fuel pump, I took it around the block to see if that fixed the problem. However, it died on me again before I could make the first turn around the block. So, I had a friend in the truck with me. He seems to think it's my catalytic converter that are bad. So, the truck started up, but I had to put it in Neutral, give it a lot of gas and then shift it to drive in order to get to truck to going. As long as the truck was in drive and moving, I'd be fine. However, it's when I'm braking that the truck dies and loses all power when driving. So, what I've had to do was to literally, put the truck in Neutral, then give it gas and shift to drive to keep it going. But, this is not even safe and I definitely don't want to keep driving like that.

The next question I'd have is, does anyone think this is the sound of a Catalytic Converter that needs to be replaced...? I'm just out of ideas as to what can be going on with this truck anymore?

Last edited by clrobinssr; 02-20-2017 at 11:48 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Well... I've got great news. After going through all the suggestions as it relates to replacing the ECM, fuel pump, cleaning the Mass Flow Air Filter Sensor, the IPDM, and almost redoing the catalytic converter and throttle body, it turns out that my problem was a bad connector on the crankshaft sensor, which was the reason for throwing the code. As I suspected, the stealership was not going to even look at this, their fix was, well since we replaced the crankshaft sensor, the next thing the book tells us to look at is the throttle body. And so, the reality is, had I had them replace the throttle body, the problem would have remained.

So, instead of taking it back to the stealership, I trusted pretty reputable mechanic and he checked it out thoroughly and found a wire that connects to the crankshaft sensor was bad. And so, after messing with the wire on the crankshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor itself for sometime, he was able to discover that this was the true reason why my car was dying/losing power and shutting down while driving. He called the stealership to see how much the connector part would cost to replace, and of course they told him he had to get the entire IPDM I believe. And so, with a heart to save me money, he found the part in a junk yard off another Armada, spliced it and put it on, and Praise God, I'm happy to report that my truck has been running good since then.

Having said all that, I'm glad I did go through all these things, because much of this stuff like the fuel pump and cleaning the Mass Air Flow senor needed to replaced and clean anyway. But, I want to thank everyone for your comments and the sharing of your experiences. I've learned a lot and even though I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, I found myself doing something that I thought I'd never do. And I owe it all to you on this forum. Thanks so much!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode