2008 Armada Will not crank at times - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SGreenlyn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2008 Armada Will not crank at times

Hello,
My 08 Armada usually starts fine. At times you turn the key to crank and nothing happens at all. Sometimes the brake pedal is hard but I don't think that is related and is just from pumping the brake while not running.
After a few tries it will start just fine. I have cleaned all terminals, replaced the ground line, and it has a good battery. No solenoid click and does not crank at all. Not sure if it is the Starter, brake switch, nutral switch, or possibly ECM relay????? Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

Yeah could be any of those.

First thing is to check for any fault codes at the obd port.

Next, other areas to consider, cam shaft position sensor, petrol pump faulty, IPDM, BCM, TCM, ECM issues. Faulty key ignition.....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:17 AM
jcb
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Try replacing the starter relay. Video illustrates where it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:13 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I too had this issue and it was none of the problems listed above.... I got lucky and found my problem to be the positive side post on the battery was not getting tight enough even when the bolt was tightened up all the way. QUICK FIX: battery post shim, installed, tightened, and PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Something very easy and cheap $ to check.

2008 SE, BANKS RAM AIR CAI , MAGNAFLOW 22" EXHAUST, DOUBLE BARREL EXHAUST TIP, 6000k HID HEADLIGHTS, 3000K HID FOGGERS. FOR NOW..........
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:33 PM
JSW
SHIFT_Lurker

I know this is an old thread but wanted to share my experience with recently having similar starting issues...The problem started a couple months ago and every now and then I would turn the key to start and nothing happens. The dashlights came on, had power etc but nothing would happen, no turnover or anything. I would try again and it would start right up. At first it was very random, maybe once per week but recently got worse where it happened several times per day. It would always start but would take a couple tries.

I ended up having the battery tested even though it is only about a year old. Turns out the battery was bad and after replacing it I have not had any issues since. It has only been a few days but seems this was the culprit. I would suggest checking the battery and connections first. Hope this helps!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 05:48 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I have had the same issues over the last three years. Mine is a 2008 esee 4 by 4. The issue was random and not reproducible. Sometimes I thought it was related to heat. I checked cleaned and tightened the battery terminals, but it didn't seem to matter. I finally had the battery replaced and the issue went away.

However I recently purchased a battery charger and was surprised when I connected it to my battery primarily to check it out as well as to ensure I had power to it while playing with my Bully Dog tuner. At any rate I found that my battery was below 25% and this is a one year old battery. I drive the vehicle several times a day for short runs so not long enough to fully charge it but I think with this reveals is that as others have noted on these forums, the Armada draws power through voltage leaks as a result of a variety of suspected issues.

I wasn't looking for issues, but found one with my battery as I now do not want to have my wife stranded someplace with a battery that is less than 25% of fully charged. So I'm leaning toward replacing the alternator as one of the better threads on these forums suggested. I may also try to apply the battery sensor fix that runs off the negative cable.

08 Armada SE 4x4
Front: Bilstein 5100s, Rear: 2" PRG spacers, Bilstein 24-187077, Firestone Coil-Rite Air Springs (W237604150)
Volant (Gen 1) CAI, Nitto Terra Grapplers (275/70/R18), Bully Dog GT (10/2017), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler (12/2017)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

2009 Armada will crank but not start

I have had a problem wiht my Armada for over a year, had it checked at the dealer spent a lot of money and still have the problem. The truck will crank but not start, I replaced the battery and the problem was solved for about six months. However the battery shows a good charge so when it does not start I just put the charger on it and it will start. Seems even thought the truck will crank good something it not getting enough juice, replaced the battery again and starts fine but i know that after awhile the problem will appear again
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Starter...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 11:22 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Try replacing the starter relay. Video illustrates where it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LUCk5x3NTs
My Armada would "ding," then nothing, instead of turn over. Maybe 1 out of 10 starts. There were no codes. Replacing the starter relay solved the issue.

$5

Bulkhead likes this.

2005 Armada LE 207K miles,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, rear cats deleted and replaced with 2 x Vibrant 1792 resonators, Magnaflow 22", stock pipes, dual tips, home made K&N RU-3270 intake,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with 6000K 75W HIDs,
, 36W LED projector fogs, LEDs all around,
, 400W rear amp + Bose 161s in back,
, 'Armada' emblem wrap for the hamburger,
for interior exhaust fans and continuous battery charging.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 PM
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

This sporadic issue has surfaced for me again twice over the last 2 days so I'm going to give this a try...

I'll follow up either way..

Just a quick question though: Is there any way to test a relay?

Would be nice to "know" that the relay was bad, just for the peace of mind...

You guys have posted a link to the relay on amazon, and it sure looks like it will work but how do I know that is the current, correct version of the relay for my truck? Mine is an 08 SE.

I pulled the starter relay from my IPDM and this is it. It has part number ACM33201 M12

That one doesn't come up on amazon, nor even the nissanusa parts site, and not found on several other autoparts sites.. Interestingly, amazon suggests the one linked to above.

Also, have any of you replaced all the relays on the IPDM just out of preventative maintenance to avoid any issues? I'm considering doing it, but don't want to invite additional new issues...

Oh, do you guys disconnect the battery before swapping the relays?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180214_163838.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	43273  

08 Armada SE 4x4
Front: Bilstein 5100s, Rear: 2" PRG spacers, Bilstein 24-187077, Firestone Coil-Rite Air Springs (W237604150)
Volant (Gen 1) CAI, Nitto Terra Grapplers (275/70/R18), Bully Dog GT (10/2017), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler (12/2017)

Last edited by marctronixx; 02-15-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode