Will Bad Throttle Body Switch Cause Armada To Shut Off While Driving? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Unhappy Will Bad Throttle Body Switch Cause Armada To Shut Off While Driving?

Can someone please help!

Will a bad throttle body switch cause the 2004 Armada to die while driving? I've changed out the cam and crankshaft sensor which the dealership said needed to be replaced for the reason it was dying out in the first place and the truck still dies. I've replaced the ECM Relay which a lot of threads said that will need to be replaced and the truck still dies. I've replaced a fuel pump which some threads said could be the issue and the truck still dies. I had the catalytic converter checked at a shop who specializes in exhaust systems and they said that my catalytic converters are fine. And so, now, I've spoken back with the dealer and they said, well, if the cam and crankshaft sensors did not fix the problem, then now, the next step is the throttle body switch.

I haven't seen a lot o threads with this issue and I was wondering if someone has had a similar issue to what I've been experiencing? I really do like this truck and I don't want to get rid of this truck, I just want it fixed and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:28 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Could this be due to a bad ground? Nissan was notoriously cheap in how they grounded the battery; there are several threads on this forum about how to fix this. What could be happening is that your ground is intermittent, and when you loose ground, say after going over a bump, the engine dies. I'm guessing that after sitting for a bit, your truck starts, right?

Might want to consider putting an temporary ground strap from the negative battery terminal to the engine or frame just as an experiment to see if the problem stops occurring. If it does, then change out the entire ground cable as described in the other posts.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 PM
jcb
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I would change out any relays that have to do with starting or ignition. You might search the Titan forum as well...its the same setup that is in the Armada.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...al-discussion/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

So... Here's the thing that's going on with this truck. It will hesitate to start. As long as the truck is in "Park", the truck will run and idle. But as soon as you put it in gear, take your feet off the brake pedal, the truck dies. And so, it will hesitate to start again. But what I've found, if I start the truck in "Neutral", with both feet on the brake and gas pedal, giving the truck gas and then shift to "Drive", and ease up off the brake while continuing to give the truck gas, the truck will continue to run as long as your foot is on the gas pedal. However, once you take your foot off the gas pedal if you're trying to slow down, the truck dies. So, to keep it from dying while driving. When I come to a stop, I'm having to shift the truck to "Neutral", pressing the brake pedal, while continuing to give the truck gas, so that it don't die on me. Has anyone else experienced this?

But one thing I do know and that is, I know this is not safe, because I can see me destroying my transmission as well. So, the dealership said, that it's my throttle body.... Right now, I don't know if I can trust them because of some things they have done in the past that warranted me not being able to really trust them now.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
I would change out any relays that have to do with starting or ignition. You might search the Titan forum as well...its the same setup that is in the Armada.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...al-discussion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Could this be due to a bad ground? Nissan was notoriously cheap in how they grounded the battery; there are several threads on this forum about how to fix this. What could be happening is that your ground is intermittent, and when you loose ground, say after going over a bump, the engine dies. I'm guessing that after sitting for a bit, your truck starts, right?

Might want to consider putting an temporary ground strap from the negative battery terminal to the engine or frame just as an experiment to see if the problem stops occurring. If it does, then change out the entire ground cable as described in the other posts.

Keith
Thanks Mr. Keith and JCB! I'll check that out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:14 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

Garage
Remove the air intake tube to have access to the throttle body plate and neck. Clean the entire area with throttle body cleaner spray; with a microfiber or shop towel, push the plate inwards to open the throttle body plate and wipe the surrounding area clean.

Once you're done, follow this reset procedure:
ECU Reset

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
Remove the air intake tube to have access to the throttle body plate and neck. Clean the entire area with throttle body cleaner spray; with a microfiber or shop towel, push the plate inwards to open the throttle body plate and wipe the surrounding area clean.

Once you're done, follow this reset procedure:
ECU Reset
Thanks PrimoV8... My truck is actually with a mechanic now, but if they can't figure it out, then I will definitely give that a try.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrobinssr View Post
Thanks Mr. Keith and JCB! I'll check that out.
Based on your updated post better explaining your symptoms, I don't believe that my diagnosis is correct any more. This sounds like a fuel issue, not an electrical issue. Bad MAF? Clogged injectors? Clogged fuel filter? Bad fuel pump?

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Well... I've got great news. After going through all the suggestions as it relates to replacing the ECM, fuel pump, cleaning the Mass Flow Air Filter Sensor, the IPDM, and almost redoing the catalytic converter and throttle body, it turns out that my problem was a bad connector on the crankshaft sensor, which was the reason for throwing the code. As I suspected, the stealership was not going to even look at this, their fix was, well since we replaced the crankshaft sensor, the next thing the book tells us to look at is the throttle body. And so, the reality is, had I had them replace the throttle body, the problem would have remained.

So, instead of taking it back to the stealership, I trusted pretty reputable mechanic and he checked it out thoroughly and found a wire that connects to the crankshaft sensor was bad. And so, after messing with the wire on the crankshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor itself for sometime, he was able to discover that this was the true reason why my car was dying/losing power and shutting down while driving. He called the stealership to see how much the connector part would cost to replace, and of course they told him he had to get the entire IPDM I believe. And so, with a heart to save me money, he found the part in a junk yard off another Armada, spliced it and put it on, and Praise God, I'm happy to report that my truck has been running good since then.

Having said all that, I'm glad I did go through all these things, because much of this stuff like the fuel pump and cleaning the Mass Air Flow senor needed to replaced and clean anyway. But, I want to thank everyone for your comments and the sharing of your experiences. I've learned a lot and even though I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, I found myself doing something that I thought I'd never do. And I owe it all to you on this forum. Thanks so much!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode