Clocksrping Spiral Cable - 3rd times a charm? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
jcb
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Clocksrping Spiral Cable - 3rd times a charm?

Just bought my 3rd spiral cable/clockspring for my 2007 Armada. Here is the background: Original clockspring began to fail with symptoms of steering radio controls not functioning and finally horn not working. I bought an aftermarket clockspring for $100 on EBAY. Instructions indicated I should just move the steering angle sensor from the old one to the new one and its good to go. Upon reinstall I had VDC/SLIP lights illuminated and these did not reset after a week or so of driving. So I removed the new clockspring and returned it. I then bought an OEM clockspring from Nissan complete with new light/wiper/blinker stalks and a new Steering Angle Sensor. Upon installing that unit, I again had VDC/SLIP. Thinking that the new Steering Angle Sensor had to be programmed to the car, I removed it and installed the old sensor. Lights off and all seemed good for a few days until VDC/SLIP AND Air Bag lights started to appear. I could always clear the Airbag light with a reset procedure but it would come back a few days later. The diagnostic code always read "No current fault", meaning that whatever was detected was not present when I did the reset. The VDC/SLIP would come and go. Pulling my hair out at this point...I re-installed the ORIGNAL clockspring with the original Steering Angle Sensor....ALL GOOD in 2 weeks of driving except for the original symptoms of radio controls and horn not functioning. So then I had the bright idea of trying to operate on my old clockpring and install just the ribbon cable from the new clockspring. DON'T try and take these things apart unless you are extremely trained/talented !!! I TRASHED THEM BOTH!!

LONG STORY brings me to today...I ordered a 3rd clockpring from EBAY - an aftermarket one for 65 bucks. I plan on installing my old steering angle sensor and praying the damn thing works and the lights go out and stay out! Through all of this I realized that the steering angle sensor, while physically attached to the clockspring...has NO electronic connection to it! It has a separate connector that goes to a separate harness to the car. Why would I get VDC/SLIP with new clocksprings but not the old one if I am using the same Steering Angle Sensor each time?

Any ideas or theories would be appreciated! I will update when I install my new one - hopefully over this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:19 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

So frustrating!

My cable is also worn out and I have been putting off the repair. Please keep this thread updated with your eventual success.

Good Luck!

2008 Armada SE
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
jcb
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Beau, I installed the new clockspring yesterday and so far so good - no lights. This is mechanically an very doable job. Its the damn electronics that are so finicky! Physically the hardest part for me was getting the wire harnesses dis-connected. BE PATIENT with this. They all have a little trick - most a tiny button at top you have to try and press in while you are pulling the harness connector loose!

I did run into a problem with my new clockspring...it physically had a difference with the part I needed...it came down to the way the steering angle sensor fits onto the clockspring. The diameter of the piece that fits into the angle sensor was too large. THis part turns the angle sensor as the clockpring/steering wheel spins. I ended up rigging it from my old parts.

Here is link to the one I just installed....I can't recommend it because of the fit issue I had with the steering angle sensor - it IS working though at the moment!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182298925663...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the 1st one I bought...in retrospect I should have kept this one and given it more time. I blamed this for steering angle sensor fault (VDC/SLIP lights) but there is no electronic connection between the 2 so it makes no sense to me now. The sensor fit perfectly on this unit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-25560-9G...dVfyjd&vxp=mtr

Finally here is a great video on the physical steps to the repair. This guy didn't have a steering angle sensor. The sensor fits on the back of the clockspring...the white circular part - with 3 screws. There is a 4th screw that holds the angle sensor's wire harness plug secure. CRITICAL ADVICE I DIDN"T SEE IN THE VIDEO - START WITH THE STEERING AS PERFECTLY STRAIGHT AS YOU CAN! DO NOT SPIN THE ANGLE SENSOR AT ALL WHEN YOU MOVE IT FROM OLD CLOCKSPRING TO NEW! INSTALL IT DEAD CENTER (Which is how they ship the clockspring to you and secure it with a retaining clip).

GOOD LUCK! Check back and let us know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 05:50 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

OK Great to know.

What do you think of this:
http://a.co/0djR6Wg
Does it look right? Dealer indicates the 2008 - 2015 are the same. One review says it did not work for a 2007 but I have an '08 so I should be good.

Is this the OEM one:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan/...e=combo-switch

2008 Armada SE

Last edited by Beau; 03-26-2017 at 06:09 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
jcb
SHIFT_Enthusiast

The one on Amazon looks like it has the larger diameter back side (White circular part that grabs onto and turns the steering angle sensor). Hard to tell though from the picture.

Regarding the OEM link...make sure yours matches the "Parts Notes" in the description. Mine was 25560-9GA8 D (as opposed to C) Looks like some option differences - example - mine has Fog Lights...part notes from your link says no fog lights.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
jcb
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Just to FINALLY close the loop on my Clockspring/Steering Angle Sensor Saga. After installing clockspring for 3rd time and trying all the "tricks" - Driving Slow and Straight after Engine Shut off and Restart, ECM Reset Procedures, Battery Disconnect, I could never get my VDC/Slip lights to go out/stay out. Finally had her in to a shop months later and they reset the steering angle sensor with their CONSULT compatible scanner and the light went right off. 2000 miles later (took her on vacation) and its still off! The shop didn't even charge me it was so simple. Morale of the story - try the free tricks - if they don't work, take it to an alignment shop or a reputable general mechanic and have them perform the resets using a professional scanner.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:06 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

I too will close the loop on my situation and solution.

-Airbag light came on
-Steering wheel controls stopped working, one by one.

I held the horn button down as I turned the wheel all the way from left to right and it briefly beeped as I was turning the wheel.

AHA! Probably a bad clockspring (also known as a spiral cable)

Two options for repair:
1)Find a clockspring on ebay or Amazon (because the dealership does not have them)
2)Go to the dealer and buy a new Combo Switch (which includes the clockspring)

I decided to buy the Combo Switch because the install is a bit more straightforward than the clockspring and also because the Combo Switch includes new stalks and plastic shroud (so it looks better when it was done)

Repair steps were:
1)watch a couple Youtube videos
2)remove the old one and install the new one
3)perform the procedure to reset the blinking airbag light
4)go to an alignment shop to get the computer reset (the technician called the procedure: "calibrating the steering angle sensor") so that the VDC/OFF and the SLIP lights turn off

Extra thanks to JCB for sharing his experience with the same problem.

The only thing I can add to what you will read on the forums and see on the videos is:
1)The guys on the videos were scratching stuff up and almost breaking connectors. Stupid. Just take your time and have a few small picks and screwdrivers nearby. If you look close you will easily see the correct way to pry everything apart. It was designed to be fixed nothing about this needs brute force.

2)Since you are going to visit an alignment shop you might as well time it with new tires and/or an inspection of the front end to see if anything needs work. In my case I noticed that an upper balljoint boot was torn. So I bought new control arms and had the shop install them before the alignment... Kills two birds with one stone!

2008 Armada SE

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode