Engine temp issues (AC/temp gauge readings) - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Engine temp issues (AC/temp gauge readings)

Hello everyone! I think I've read every overheating/towing thread there is on this site. As of yesterday I was certain I need to replace the radiator. Basically it runs great, temps stay where they need to be.....most of the time. I'm in Phoenix, AZ so its hot this time of year. I got stuck in traffic on the freeway the other day and within 15 min the ac started blowing warm. Looked down at the gauges and the coolant temp was sitting about 3/4 of the way up as was the tranny temp. Put the trans in neutral and shut the AC off and both temps were back to normal in seconds. From doing a lot of reading it sounded like my issue was the radiator unitl my little test last night. Outside temp was about 106, left the truck idling outside in direct sunlight with AC on high and set the stop watch. 20 min in all temps were still good and AC was still blowing pretty good. So I set the ebrake and put it in drive. At about the 35 min mark the tranny temp went up about 3/4, but coolant temp didn't budge. Now I don't know what's wrong with it. You would think if it was the radiator it would have been running hot. I do know the transmission fluid needs to be replaced, and I'm doing that this weekend. I don't know, I'm at a loss right now.

James

2011 Nissan Armada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:16 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

Isn't the trans cooler in front of the condenser/radiator?

The AC has been commented by many that its underwhelming for the car (not saying this is true, just what some have opined) so assuming your AC is charged properly and has been maintained, it could be other issues (dirty coolant, clogged radiator, etc).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The tranny cooler is sandwiched between the condenser and the radiator. I started thinking maybe the engine coolant temps could be due to the condenser/transmission temps, but still doesn't make sense in my pee brain. I ordered a deep trans pan, and I'll get that installed this weekend. I'm thinking may as well put in a new radiator and t-stat too and pray that was the issue. I really don't want to start throwing money at this thing hoping I fix it eventually.

2011 Nissan Armada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 11:44 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSXJ View Post
I really don't want to start throwing money at this thing hoping I fix it eventually.
That's why I would recommend going to a shop and having the radiator tested. If it's good, then you don't need to replace it and you may find it's just the radiator cap (signs of small coolant leak, small cracks, bad seal, bubbled). Even if the cap is not obviously bad, in hot, hot weather where you are, it's cheap insurance. A full flush of the radiator is a good idea, if the radiator passes the test.

With the heat you deal with every year, annual checks on the radiator and a flush would be a good idea as heat is the #1 killer of engines.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode