• 1 Post By Campfamily
  • 1 Post By Campfamily

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Im having problem with my armada paint chipping off. It is pretty bad. I have one chip that is about an eight of an inch round. I get that they chip after a while but all i do is drive it in the freeway, im not 4 wheeling with it. Just wondering if there is a recall or something.

2017 armada sl. Midnight blue paint.

Last edited by marctronixx; 04-04-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:51 AM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)

Welcome to the Nissan family of poor paint jobs and chipping paint. If you do a Google search on Nissan Paint Chipping, you'll find all kinds of posts about this, Nissan is famous for this issue. I have two Nissans, the Armada, and a 2000 Maxima. The Maxima looks like it has lived in the Sahara the front end is so bad. Granted it has 180K miles, but I've had other cars for that many miles and the front hasn't been that chipped. For the Armada, I put a OEM bug guard to protect the leading edge of the hood. The rest of the front isn't painted, it's either chrome or plastic, which seems to hold up pretty good.
marctronixx likes this.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:10 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)

Agree the paint on the Nissan/Infiniti cars leaves a lot to be desired. Even the newer armadas and qx’s still suffer this.

Ive had 3 armadas and never had any paint chipping, but they were al home garaged and lived in garages whilst at the office. I also hand washed the cars and took a little extra care to keep the paint protected.

I think my experience is not the norm but the point is you have to take a little extra care on these paint jobs to prolong it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:25 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

When you say "freeway" I assume that means high speed. The faster you drive the faster airborne debris hits your paint.

I'm thinking about self-applying some 3M paint protection film to the leading edge of my hood.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I installed a quarter front paint protection so the whole front is protected. But the side doors are not and it is chipping. I might vinyl wrap it now or Maybe do a matte ppf.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:57 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
I installed a quarter front paint protection so the whole front is protected. But the side doors are not and it is chipping. I might vinyl wrap it now or Maybe do a matte ppf.
I haven't seen much in the way of chipping on the sides, but I'm particular (and so is my wife) about where our vehicles are parked. But, I've got to believe that if the front chips easily, the sides will do the same.

I've had great luck with DR ColorChip to fill in chips when they occur, consider using that product or one like it to fix the chips before you wrap or matte.

Keith
marctronixx likes this.

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:59 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
My 08 Armada has some pretty serious paint problems all on the top. I live in FL, and in a salt air environment, so that certainly doesn't help (plus i've got 130K miles). Large patches of my clear coat are gone on the roof, and a couple spots on the hood. I'm seriously considering sanding and re-painting the roof and hood soon. I've got the setup, just need to find the time. I agree, Nissan notorious for sub-par paint durability. I've owned three different Nissan vehicles dating back to 1994, and they've all had issues. The clear coat seems pretty thin (Especially on my Armada). As for a recall...I doubt you'll get anywhere with that.

If it's just small chips, the color match pens (available at most auto places, and also walmart) work pretty well. Dab it and let dry, and go over it a second or third time to get the paint to come up to the level of the factory coat.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

My silver '17 Platinum came from the factory with several paint chips. I found them during the delivery inspection. The dealer promised to come out and repair them. As usual, once they got their money, they don't acknowledge ever knowing me. All I got was a "who are you again?". Typical....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode