LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Garage
Warm Air Rear Roof Vents

So I noticed that when the truck has been sitting in the hot sun for awhile, the rear AC has a hard time in blowing cool air. If it's been in the garage for example, the rear AC blows somewhat cool. I took temp readings of the air vents with a temp gun after it's been sitting in the hot sun and the front gets to about 60 degrees while the rear gets to about 75-80 degrees. Does this sound like a leak or another issue?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Armada SE - charcoal leather, comf & conv package, tow package, back-up camera, power lift gate, bose stereo
Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*Bilstein HD front struts
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:59 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)

makes sense the interior will be more difficult to cool if sitting in hot weather.

does not necessarily sound like its super low on refrigerant. only way to be sure is to have it checked. the parts inside are also at that temp and they give off heat (radiation) and those surfaces have to cool as well, so it will take more time vs sitting in a cooler environment.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Warm Air Rear Roof Vents

So I'm getting hot air coming out of the rear ceiling vents. Front vents and the center console vents facing the rear are all blowing cold air. Any idea what the issue could be? Temps in my area are in the 100s and really hate for my kids riding back there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Armada SE - charcoal leather, comf & conv package, tow package, back-up camera, power lift gate, bose stereo
Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
makes sense the interior will be more difficult to cool if sitting in hot weather.

does not necessarily sound like its super low on refrigerant. only way to be sure is to have it checked. the parts inside are also at that temp and they give off heat (radiation) and those surfaces have to cool as well, so it will take more time vs sitting in a cooler environment.
Unfortunately there might be an issue. The air just won't get cold. Front vents and rear console vents blow cold air but the rear ceiling vents blow warm air. Any ideas?

Also, I opened a thread under General Discussions hoping I keep my issue by itself.

Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:13 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Did you check rear controls to make sure it's not set for warm air?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes0486 View Post
Did you check rear controls to make sure it's not set for warm air?
Yes that was the first thing checked. The dial is all the way to the left in the blue.

Another thing I noticed also, like the famous clicking noise many have reported with the front dash, I sometimes hear a clicking noise in the rear when I first turn the truck on. Not sure if that could be a reason for the warm air in the ceiling vents.

Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars

Last edited by marctronixx; 07-26-2018 at 09:33 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 AM
SHIFT_Moderator

Your thread should be in the “problems” section , since this is a “problem” vs.. something general in nature.

If you are getting air ..ANY AIR.. at the ceiling vents that means the air is getting to those locations.

You said the rear controls are set to cold, well when you change them to HEAT do they get hot like you expect (car engine should be operating temp) or does the air temp stay the same?

The rear AC has its own system, but uses the refrigerant the same as the front.

Are you sure the front air is COLD when you have MAX ac on? You should be getting 60s temp at the vents. If the AC at the front is “cool” vs “COLD” you may just have low refrigerant.

I don’t recall if you said you had your system checked but if you have not, you should have the AC system checked to verify refrigerant is within parameters.

Hot temps, high humidity, low idle, stop and go traffic, occupant load, condenser clogged, old engine coolant, faulty engine thermometer.. all of these things can influence your AC system, and verifying those components are in proper working order is the first step to diagnose.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Your thread should be in the “problems” section , since this is a “problem” vs.. something general in nature.

If you are getting air ..ANY AIR.. at the ceiling vents that means the air is getting to those locations.

You said the rear controls are set to cold, well when you change them to HEAT do they get hot like you expect (car engine should be operating temp) or does the air temp stay the same?

The rear AC has its own system, but uses the refrigerant the same as the front.

Are you sure the front air is COLD when you have MAX ac on? You should be getting 60s temp at the vents. If the AC at the front is “cool” vs “COLD” you may just have low refrigerant.

I don’t recall if you said you had your system checked but if you have not, you should have the AC system checked to verify refrigerant is within parameters.

Hot temps, high humidity, low idle, stop and go traffic, occupant load, condenser clogged, old engine coolant, faulty engine thermometer.. all of these things can influence your AC system, and verifying those components are in proper working order is the first step to diagnose.
I've taken temp readings with a temp gun and the front vents are about 60 degrees at max AC. The rear ceiling vents are in the mid 80's at max AC.

I have not gotten the system checked yet because am hoping to avoid a $$$ repair bill. I wanted to see if anyone may have a DIY for an issue like this. My last resort would be to take it to an AC shop I guess.

I apologize for posting in the wrong section.

marctronixx likes this.

Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:41 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Naaah bro dont apologize for posting! There are many forums here and i try to help out to make sure the threads are in the right section. I hope my message was not received in disrespect!

Ok cool, so the front vents blow what you expect yes?

The rear has its own system as you may know, but shares the refrigerant with the entire system (front and back).

Now if the refgerant is low, it cant keep the front and rear cool at the same time. Maybe as a test, dont run the front AC and just turn on the rear AC only and see if it gets cooler.

The refrigerant lines run down the side under the car. Those lines go under the chassis and have rubber sections back there in that area.

With dirt, road grime, salt/snow, this can rub a hole in the lines and cause the refrigerant to leak over time (this is just one area where leaks could occur). This requires lifting the car off the chassis to replace.

I’d advise NOT to do any “DIY” when it comes to the HVAC. The system is under pressure and you can cause damage to the system, the car, your person, or all three. Its best to just at least have a tech verify your system is charged properly. Then move on to something physically being the culprit.

Also since we are not able to see your car over the internet, just make sure the rear vents on the passenger side are not clogged up or covered up with clothes, or other items that can block air flow.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Hardcore

Garage
Quote:
Naaah bro dont apologize for posting! There are many forums here and i try to help out to make sure the threads are in the right section. I hope my message was not received in disrespect!

Ok cool, so the front vents blow what you expect yes?

The rear has its own system as you may know, but shares the refrigerant with the entire system (front and back).

Now if the refgerant is low, it cant keep the front and rear cool at the same time. Maybe as a test, dont run the front AC and just turn on the rear AC only and see if it gets cooler.

The refrigerant lines run down the side under the car. Those lines go under the chassis and have rubber sections back there in that area.

With dirt, road grime, salt/snow, this can rub a hole in the lines and cause the refrigerant to leak over time (this is just one area where leaks could occur). This requires lifting the car off the chassis to replace.

I’d advise NOT to do any “DIY” when it comes to the HVAC. The system is under pressure and you can cause damage to the system, the car, your person, or all three. Its best to just at least have a tech verify your system is charged properly. Then move on to something physically being the culprit.

Also since we are not able to see your car over the internet, just make sure the rear vents on the passenger side are not clogged up or covered up with clothes, or other items that can block air flow.
I hope this doesn't sound stupid... But how would I run the rear AC without turning on the front AC? I'd have to hit the AC button on the front dash right and have air blow to actually have it On?

Upgrades so far
*Billet Grille
*Hood Protector
*K&N Air Filter
*Garmin Mechanic HD
*5000K HID's Lows/Fogs
*Steelcraft 3" nerf bars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode