Resonance in cabin at low speed - Page 2 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:33 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It's funny you point that out, I've noticed that area has a low sounding resonance to it as well. Definitely feels like it's coming from the back.... but that could just be the how the acoustics are working. I've even thought about changing out the rear shocks, they're not CRAZY expensive and don't look too technically difficult. Just don't want to drop the cash I don't need to. I would be super interested to hear how your soundproofing experiment works out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:14 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Good news and bad news I guess. Good news is, it's pretty easy to get to that passenger rear quarter panel area. A few bolts and fasteners, just pops right off. There really is not much in the way of soundproofing back there. But, there's a lot mechanical/electrical stuff back there! Unbolting the Bose unit gets you into that quarter panel area. I didn't have any proper soundproofing materials, so I closed it back up.

Bad news is, I went down and drove a low mileage 2018 Armada at a local dealership. It had that SAME low resonance, booming sound over bumps at low speed. Maybe Nissan's right, maybe it is a characteristic of these vehicles. Knowing that doesn't make the noise/sensation any less annoying, but a little more tolerable somehow. Seems like I'm not the only one noticing it AND now I have first-hand proof that other Armadas share this phenomena.

They had a super low mileage 2015 Sequoia on the lot, I drove it too. I know it's iconic, it was overall a nice vehicle but much less composed, bumpy and interior was noticeably louder. I thought to myself, "if I am struggling with what I'm hearing in the Armada, I would really struggle with this Toyota." Honestly, at a similar price point, the 2nd gen Armada seemed MUCH nicer.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to absolve Nissan of what is obviously a design flaw.....so if there's any update out there regarding this issue, I would be glad to hear it.

In the meantime, maybe I'll look into a beefy set of tires on some stock 18in wheels to put a little bit more rubber between me and the road. Maybe that will change things a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_181731_1555646780662.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	45623   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_180625_1555646800447.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	45625   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_180620_1555646826764.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	45627  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:53 AM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Now you guys are making me pay more attention to the cabin sound. I'm actually sensitive to noises but this one seemed not perceptible to me, at least for the past 6k miles of owning the Armada. But I'll listen in closely and see if I hear a similar sound.

EDIT: I agree on the observation with 2015 Sequoia. Not taking any points against it but 2nd Gen Armada is more quiet and has less truckish feel. I don't know about the 2018 MY Sequoia though I figure it'd be similar with previous MY.

Last edited by armadaY62; 04-19-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
Good news and bad news I guess. Good news is, it's pretty easy to get to that passenger rear quarter panel area. A few bolts and fasteners, just pops right off. There really is not much in the way of soundproofing back there. But, there's a lot mechanical/electrical stuff back there! Unbolting the Bose unit gets you into that quarter panel area. I didn't have any proper soundproofing materials, so I closed it back up.

Bad news is, I went down and drove a low mileage 2018 Armada at a local dealership. It had that SAME low resonance, booming sound over bumps at low speed. Maybe Nissan's right, maybe it is a characteristic of these vehicles. Knowing that doesn't make the noise/sensation any less annoying, but a little more tolerable somehow. Seems like I'm not the only one noticing it AND now I have first-hand proof that other Armadas share this phenomena.

They had a super low mileage 2015 Sequoia on the lot, I drove it too. I know it's iconic, it was overall a nice vehicle but much less composed, bumpy and interior was noticeably louder. I thought to myself, "if I am struggling with what I'm hearing in the Armada, I would really struggle with this Toyota." Honestly, at a similar price point, the 2nd gen Armada seemed MUCH nicer.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to absolve Nissan of what is obviously a design flaw.....so if there's any update out there regarding this issue, I would be glad to hear it.

In the meantime, maybe I'll look into a beefy set of tires on some stock 18in wheels to put a little bit more rubber between me and the road. Maybe that will change things a bit.
Thanks for doing all that! W/ pics too!

So I had a jx35 before the Armada. Had it in for service one time and they gave me a qx80 for a loaner. Maybe I wasn't as perceptive since it wasn't my vehicle, but I do not recall any low frequencies at all other than the typical harshness from bumps generated from the suspension (Pittsburgh roads). I remember noting to myself how quiet it was. Maybe in an effort to keep costs low, Nissan decided to forgo some insulation on the Armada (?). I will have to investigate further and test drive a pre-owned one.

It's definitely not the end of the world as I test drove too many Fullsize vehicles before purchasing the Armada and at the time none felt as button down, luxurious and feature packed as the Armada. Didn't even bother looking at the Sequioa. And just got back from a 400 mile trip with a 6x12 uhual trailer fully loaded. Can't be more impressed with the Armada. No fuss whatsoever.

Although, I'm very glad that I'm not going crazy here and others are noticing this as well. Next step is to see if sound deadening like Dynomat can mitigate this minor (for lack of a better word) setback.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:14 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So I had over 60 miles on the Armada yesterday on mixed road types, highway and back roads - no off-road though. I really couldn't hear any low frequency other than sound of rubber (tires) impact against certain road imperfection. Nothing too distinct. Although I think the rear side could use additional sound deadening material.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode