Resonance in cabin at low speed - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Resonance in cabin at low speed

When I drive at lower speeds - under 30-40 mph - over uneven road surfaces, I notice very low frequency resonances in the cabin, especially coming from the rear cargo area. less noticeable at higher speeds. Best way to describe the sound is a low frequency booming like a sub woofer. And it maybe being amplified more when hearing it from the front seat.

I'm thinking the only way such noises can be transmitted to the cabin is through the body mounts... It's still under warranty but not sure how to approach dealer. If it's normal, than it is what it is.

Anybody else experiencing this? Anybody have any ideas what this could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 02:11 PM
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kduPlatinum90 View Post
When I drive at lower speeds - under 30-40 mph - over uneven road surfaces, I notice very low frequency resonances in the cabin, especially coming from the rear cargo area. less noticeable at higher speeds. Best way to describe the sound is a low frequency booming like a sub woofer. And it maybe being amplified more when hearing it from the front seat.

I'm thinking the only way such noises can be transmitted to the cabin is through the body mounts... It's still under warranty but not sure how to approach dealer. If it's normal, than it is what it is.

What year is your truck?

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 18 Tesla Model 3, Long Range RWD
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 71,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
What year is your truck?
2017 Platinum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 02:47 PM
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

Some people with first gen armadas on this forum experienced something similar to this—i recall reading about something like this on older threads on this site.

Have you tried with the windows rolled down?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
Some people with first gen armadas on this forum experienced something similar to this—i recall reading about something like this on older threads on this site.

Have you tried with the windows rolled down?
With the windows rolled down, you don't notice it.

Looking at my alignment sheet (just got back from dealer after replacing rain sensor), the camber is unusually off on the right rear wheel. I wonder if there is a suspension component that maybe worn down that is contributing to that noise and alignment. Or it may just be out of alignment.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:43 PM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Quote:
With the windows rolled down, you don't notice it.

Looking at my alignment sheet (just got back from dealer after replacing rain sensor), the camber is unusually off on the right rear wheel. I wonder if there is a suspension component that maybe worn down that is contributing to that noise and alignment. Or it may just be out of alignment.
If you have an alignment sheet, why does it show as being out of alignment? Did the stealer put it on the rack, take the measurements and not align the vehicle?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
If you have an alignment sheet, why does it show as being out of alignment? Did the stealer put it on the rack, take the measurements and not align the vehicle?
Good question. I think alignment and other checks are part of their procedure anytime a vehicle comes in. It says that it failed alignment but the dealer never mentioned anything about it. I like to read through the paper work and that's how i found out.
I'll go over it once more and give them a call.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 AM
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Shame on the stealer for not letting you know that your vehicle is out of alignment. Ask some friends etc. if there is a local, independent alignment shop that they recommend. The stealer isn't a bad option for alignments as they should have all the proper tools, equipment and relevant training for your specific vehicle, but a good independent that cares about you as a customer is always a good option.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:22 PM
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Question Did you get this sorted?

Quote:

I'm noticing a similar sound/resonance in the cabin a low speeds as well, a faint "boom" on uneven surfaces or small bumps. I have no other rattles/creaks/vibrations otherwise.
Sometimes I don't notice it at all, other times is pretty obvious. Did you get this figured out? 2017 Armada 4x4, 30K.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
I'm noticing a similar sound/resonance in the cabin a low speeds as well, a faint "boom" on uneven surfaces or small bumps. I have no other rattles/creaks/vibrations otherwise.
Sometimes I don't notice it at all, other times is pretty obvious. Did you get this figured out? 2017 Armada 4x4, 30K.
They said it was normal. They did a full inspection and everything is functioning the way it should.

well I'm stubborn and i don't think it's normal whatsoever. One day I was at the power car wash and as the jets were hitting the rear quarter panel, I noticed the noise of the water jets hitting the quarter panel got much louder than when the jets were up front. That's basically when I started to doubt that it was any suspension issue. The truck drives nice and smooth over everything with no drive line or typical suspension noise that would indicate worn suspension components.

So after the wash, I pulled the armada in my garage and started hitting the rear quarter panel with my palm and notice it resonates a lot more around that area and the cargo area than it does at the front of the car.

So I think it may be an insulation issue that there isn't enough sound deadening back there to dampens harsh frequency generated by the suspension. When I get the chance, I am going to dynomat the rear and see if this fixes the issue.

Other than that and the piss poor gas mileage, yeah just like you, truck is perfect.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode